Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ipe Decking - Are these clips ok?

Hi,

I'm having an Ipe deck installed on the 24/7 and I want to use a hidden
clip system. I have looked at the EbTy but here in the UK they are
£120 ($200) for a box of 100.

I have found another type of clip distributed here
(http://www.deckingclipenterprises.com/clips.htm)

but wondered if this would work with Ipe. They say it's suitable for
all hardwood but I have heard Ipe is too dense for this type of system.

Any advice would be great

Cheers

Russ

Posted to rec.woodworking

"russ" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I'm having an Ipe deck installed on the 24/7 and I want to use a hidden
clip system. I have looked at the EbTy but here in the UK they are
£120 ($200) for a box of 100.

I have found another type of clip distributed here
(http://www.deckingclipenterprises.com/clips.htm)

but wondered if this would work with Ipe. They say it's suitable for
all hardwood but I have heard Ipe is too dense for this type of system.

Any advice would be great

My advice, reread the site information about the product. I could not find
the claim that they say it's suitable for all hardwood as you stated. I
did see that it is suitable for hard woods and soft woods. That is not the
same as all hard woods. If you reread you will find that they indicate that
it functions well with woods such as bangkirai or OAK. I suspect that these
two woods are similar and probably at about the limit of hardness that will
work properly. Ipe is about 3 times harder than oak.
To be sure, give them a call and indicate to the that Ipe is 3 time harder
than Oak, I am guessing they will want you to predrill or not use the clip
at all.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

"russ" wrote in message
[...]

Even if the clip will force its way into the wood, Ipe needs to be
predrilled to avoid splitting.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.woodworking

Many Thanks Leon,

I gave them a call and they had not heard of Ipe, so maybe thats the
answer to my question

Fingers crossed I can get a store within the states to ship to the UK.

Thanks again

Russ

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks John,

Just found a supplier that will ship Ipe Clips to the UK, it's going to
cost £320 ($650) but should look great once it's complete.

Cheers

Russ

Posted to rec.woodworking

russ wrote:
Hi,

I'm having an Ipe deck installed on the 24/7 and I want to use a hidden
clip system. I have looked at the EbTy but here in the UK they are
£120 ($200) for a box of 100.

I have found another type of clip distributed here
(http://www.deckingclipenterprises.com/clips.htm)

but wondered if this would work with Ipe. They say it's suitable for
all hardwood but I have heard Ipe is too dense for this type of system.

Any advice would be great

Cheers

Russ

I wonder if this would work with Trex or similar plastic boards. They
are pretty flexible and would probably sag between the clips making the
'boards' look as though they cupped.

pulling up decking Dundonald UK diy 21 March 7th 05 09:48 AM
Seeking Double Hung Window Grille Clips Jeff Wisnia Home Repair 1 September 4th 04 04:44 PM
Composite decking: Trex or WeatherBest? Dave K. Home Repair 3 February 18th 04 03:12 AM
Sink Clips Caliban Home Repair 4 September 3rd 03 08:40 PM
Invisible decking clips timegoesby UK diy 0 July 31st 03 09:40 AM