Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Decking oil or Decking stain+presertive

Mike P wrote:
On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 08:20:42 +0100, Mike P mike@askme wrote:

.. Hi
..
.. Decking is going grey on the balastrades and spindles etc ........
.. Which is better to use on the whole area ... oil or stain ?
..
.. Mike P

One sensible answer .............. my ........... how this group has
changed :-)

Mike P

I think the grey colour is about as good as it gets. Oil just makes it
look like it's wet i.e. dark grey, and the stuff you see the fat blokes
spraying in the tv advert needs doing every year to keep it looking like
Legoland.
Oxalic acid is the basis of most of the bleaching products, but it
didn't work for me, so I'm sticking with the driftwood look.