Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Decking

We have a small split level garden. The lower and furthest bit, from the
house, is the width of the house and about 14 foot deep and about 18
inches lower than the rest of the garden.

I had someone put a greenhouse base down, but it was not level. This was
done quite few years ago. As we are both entering our sixties, we are
looking for a very low maintenance garden. The base consists of kerb
stones well cemented into the ground, with my attempt to provide a brick
coarse to make a change from the original green house size to a new one
that I have never erected.

My dilemma is...

Which would be cheaper, a dig out and put down barrier and decorative
gravel, or put a decking over most of it to make it flat and useable?
I think that the grand daughters would love it, as it catches the sun
for most of the day, during the warmer months

There is a 7 by 5 foot shed to the left as you look down to the bottom
and the grass there can be easily trimmed. there is a path that goes to
a 6 foot high gate to the right.

If I did this, what would be the best way to keep the grass/weeds down
under the decking if I take this route?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 7, 11:58 pm, Dave wrote:

If I did this, what would be the best way to keep the grass/weeds down
under the decking if I take this route?

Dave

Kill the grass with weedkiller, the lack of light should then prevent
it growing back.
Alternatively cover the area with black polythene.

Charlie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Charlie wrote:
On Jun 7, 11:58 pm, Dave wrote:

If I did this, what would be the best way to keep the grass/weeds down
under the decking if I take this route?

Dave

Kill the grass with weedkiller, the lack of light should then prevent
it growing back.
Alternatively cover the area with black polythene.

I think that will be a 'done' soon.

Thanks

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:

If I did this, what would be the best way to keep the grass/weeds down
under the decking if I take this route?

Weed control fabric.

cheers,
Pete.

Decking [email protected] UK diy 8 May 9th 07 12:19 AM
Rhino Decking Corinne Home Repair 2 April 27th 06 08:34 AM
Decking LetterBee UK diy 6 April 2nd 05 02:59 PM
Use 7/8" boards for decking? mcgyver Woodworking 5 March 7th 05 12:47 AM
Cheap decking at B&Q...not Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot UK diy 3 January 18th 05 06:21 PM