Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] mail@atics.co.uk is offline

Default The decking treatment of choice?

On 20 Jul, 18:04, (A.Lee) wrote:
I did the girlfriends decking in March with Cuprinol decking treatment.
I didnt think much of it at the time, as it was so watery.
Anyway, 4 months later, it is peeling all over the place, so needs doing
again.
Despite having a half full tin of Cuprinol, I won't be risking it again,
so need a recommendation for a decking paint, preferably a dark colour,
that will last for the next 20 years. (well, i can but hope!)
Ta
Alan.

Dear Lee
Nothing short of CCA treatment (which is now withdrawn) will last 20
years. No surface applicant will last that long
You have to differentiate between "treatment" ie application of a
fungicide/(?insecticide) INTO the timber to protect it from
biodeteriortion
and
a surface application for good looks and some protection against rain
and UV

I would use a low build water repellant preservative stain such as
Saddolins or Sikkens (AKZO) but expect to put in on every couple of
years
or
a simple stain perhaps with a wax or similar water repellant
Given that the decking is likely to have been treated ( check) that is
all that would be needed for visual effect.

If you tell me what exactly it was that you bought I can advise. I
need to know the species of timber, its trade name if a proprietry
decking, its location wrt the ground and ventilation etc etc perhpas
even a photo? in order sensibly to answer the question

Chris