Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Body armour - stab proof vest

tony sayer wrote:
In article , The
Medway Handyman scribeth thus
Tim S wrote:
The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

Colin Wilson wrote:
how about £25, but not quite covert

http://www.the-outdoor.co.uk/include...53&start=0&sea
rch_string=body+armour&search=Search&price_range=

Going by the description there, it says something about "no
filler" - could this be the armour that's missing ?

That looks like just the cover. Becky's stab vest came with a
spare cover in case ooh nasty stuff gets splattered on it.

It's a sad state of affairs when members of the fire brigade and
ambulance services need to worry about people trying to main them

Indeed. They can wear the vest whenever they want to, but some
calls are flagged 'vest mandatory' and some are flagged 'do not
leave ambulance unless police are on scene'. Vest is mandatory in
certain post code areas.

Conflict management and Aikido are part of the basic training. They
have radio code words to secretly convey that they are in a possibly
dangerous situation.

All for a basic salary of £14K.

And from what I hear no shortage of applicants;!..

No shortage of applicants thanks to the TV shows. Great shortage of
'suitable' applicants. Actually very hard to get through the selection
process, but it not a job you do for the money, like many NHS jobs.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Medway
Handyman scribeth thus

Colin Wilson wrote:
[...]

Does that apply to NHS management as well?..

We've got a "Patient experience director" in our local hospital;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-07-19 08:57:46 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Conflict management and Aikido are part of the basic training. They
have radio code words to secretly convey that they are in a possibly
dangerous situation.

All for a basic salary of £14K.

.... and all up?

With all the shift work & unsocial hours pay & overtime she about doubles
that.

Not a lot even so, is it?

Does it improve with age, otherwise what are the advancements?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-07-19 09:17:37 +0100, tony sayer said:

Does that apply to NHS management as well?..

We've got a "Patient experience director" in our local hospital;!...

aka cheerleader.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-07-19 08:57:46 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Conflict management and Aikido are part of the basic training. They
have radio code words to secretly convey that they are in a
possibly dangerous situation.

All for a basic salary of £14K.

.... and all up?

With all the shift work & unsocial hours pay & overtime she about
doubles that.

Not a lot even so, is it?

Not for what she does, no. Not a job you do for the pay rates.

Does it improve with age, otherwise what are the advancements?

Currently she is an Emergency Medical Technician Grade 3 to use LAS
terminology, next step is a 6 week residential course to become a full blown
Paramedic. They then get an extra few grand a year.

I'd say her current level of training is easily degree standard, paramedic
is equivalent to a masters or whatever. Except with pass rates of 86% + to
qualify.

Only about 20% of LAS front line staff are actual paramedics, most are EMT2
& above.

She can administer 18 drugs, paramedic can give 27 (the extra 9 being mainly
morphine based). She can't canulate or intubate a patient despite being a
qualified phlebotomist, only a paramedic can do that.

She doesn't want to go into management, she wants to remain operational (or
useful as she calls it).

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-07-19 09:56:18 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Currently she is an Emergency Medical Technician Grade 3 to use LAS
terminology, next step is a 6 week residential course to become a full blown
Paramedic. They then get an extra few grand a year.

Something at least. In the days when ambulance staff were little
more than glorified taxi drivers, those kind of figures might have been
reasonable

I'd say her current level of training is easily degree standard, paramedic
is equivalent to a masters or whatever. Except with pass rates of 86% + to
qualify.

Only about 20% of LAS front line staff are actual paramedics, most are EMT2
& above.

That's very disappointing. They all should be if they are doing
emergency work.

She can administer 18 drugs, paramedic can give 27 (the extra 9 being mainly
morphine based). She can't canulate or intubate a patient despite being a
qualified phlebotomist, only a paramedic can do that.

I can kind of understand these. IANAD, but have had both procedures
recently plus a large number of phlebotomy visits. Dealing with a
canula involves avoidance of air introduction and use of saline to keep
it open as I recall. Not that it's difficult, AFAICS, but I think I
would someone who knows what they are doing.

Intubation is another thing entirely. Proper maintenance of airway
is obviously vital. I think that I would want someone well qualified
dealing with that, even in an emergency situation.

She doesn't want to go into management, she wants to remain operational (or
useful as she calls it).

Let's hope she remains an idealist in this sense. One of the
reasons that I am so anti the current NHS setup is that it doesn't
reward in the right places. It's a pity that reward isn't based on
outcome, although that's probably not practical. Even so, it's very
clear to me that ambulance paramedics can make an enormous difference
to outcome and so they really ought to be rewarded for that. Granted,
as you say, one doesn't go into this for the money, but this does not
give the employers the right to exploit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message g...
He (the next door neighbour) has threatened me with a knife before, his
Dad
died in a mental instituition (a little research found that out) and
today
he spent 20 minutes walking around his back garden while talking to
himself
and saying he will kill That Dick (his nickname for me) and That Fat
*******
(his nickname for his other next door neighbour).

Wonder if you can get him sectioned under the mental health act ? -
certainly sounds like he needs assessment...

A massive amount of CCTV DVDs showing him in action have been sent to the
relevant people. There have also been official complaints made by his other
next door neighbour and the guy across the road from him. It will not get
him sectioned but it will get him evicted.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-07-19 09:56:18 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

One way to realy **** her off is to call her an ambulance driver!

I'd say her current level of training is easily degree standard,
paramedic is equivalent to a masters or whatever. Except with pass
rates of 86% + to qualify.

Only about 20% of LAS front line staff are actual paramedics, most
are EMT2 & above.

That's very disappointing. They all should be if they are doing
emergency work.

EMT's are very highly trained, you wouldn't need to worry about being
treated by them. It takes a lot of time & training to become a paramedic.

[...]

The Guvmint targets make you laugh. Category 'A' calls (life threatening)
have o be attended within 8 mins from 'reciept' of call (even if it took 3
mins for the controller to calm the person down enough to actually get the
address),

If they arrive in under 8 mins & the paitent dies, its counted as meeting
the target, if over 8 mins & the patient lives its a failure!

You couldn't make it up.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 18:37:45 +0100, "Vortex3"
wrote:

....made of chain mail.

No, the fashion stuff (and the RF shielding clothing) is made of kintted
wire, not chainmail. It has almost no impact resistance, especially as
it's often made of soft wire.

If you want, you can make your own. Normal domestic knitting machines
will knit quite happily with enamelled copper wire.

If you want chainmail, then get chainmail. It's very cheap these days.
An Indian-made Hauberk for re-enactment or LARP purposes costs less than
one UK-made butcher's chainmail glove. You can get riveted rings (which
are pretty pointed-blade resistant) for some amount more, or even
titanium chainmail. Wearing dark iron chainmail on a hot day is the
best reason ever to buy titanium!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home"
saying something like:

I could kill you with a 1" knife without touching the organs or an artery
and it would be instant.

But that would be illegal.

*May* be illegal!

You bad man.

May be a bad man.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...

She can't canulate or intubate a patient despite being a qualified
phlebotomist,

just as well, the phlebotomist training can be given to anyone and is only a
few hours.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-07-19 15:09:03 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2008-07-19 09:56:18 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Currently she is an Emergency Medical Technician Grade 3 to use LAS
terminology, next step is a 6 week residential course to become a
full blown Paramedic. They then get an extra few grand a year.

Something at least. In the days when ambulance staff were little
more than glorified taxi drivers, those kind of figures might have
been reasonable

One way to realy **** her off is to call her an ambulance driver!

I know. That's why I didn't use that word.

[...]

Oh dear. Wrong measurements.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 17:35:47 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

just as well, the phlebotomist training can be given to anyone and is only a
few hours.

Lesser mortals don't start out with your knife skills.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message om...

She can't canulate or intubate a patient despite being a qualified
phlebotomist,

just as well, the phlebotomist training can be given to anyone and is
only a few hours.

The point being she worked as a phlebotomist for two years, so she is not
just qualified but also experienced.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message om...

She can't canulate or intubate a patient despite being a qualified
phlebotomist,

just as well, the phlebotomist training can be given to anyone and is
only a few hours.

The point being she worked as a phlebotomist for two years, so she is not
just qualified but also experienced.

An experienced phlebotomist is still a phlebotomist, you wouldn't want one
to canulate you and certainly not intubate.

The receptionist at my wife's doctors is a trained and experienced
phlebotomist BTW, she gets an extra 30p an hr while taking blood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message g...
how about £25, but not quite covert
http://www.the-outdoor.co.uk/include...53&start=0&sea
rch_string=body+armour&search=Search&price_range=

Going by the description there, it says something about "no filler" -
could this be the armour that's missing ?

For £50, it looks like you can get ex-police body armour, not sure
what the stab level is though...

http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co...hopscr118.html

Brilliant. I suppose if I do not wear it covert I can just stick the company
name on the back.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadworth wrote:
"Colin Wilson"
o.uk wrote in
message g...
how about £25, but not quite covert
http://www.the-outdoor.co.uk/include...53&start=0&sea
rch_string=body+armour&search=Search&price_range=

Going by the description there, it says something about "no filler" -
could this be the armour that's missing ?

For £50, it looks like you can get ex-police body armour, not sure
what the stab level is though...

http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co...hopscr118.html

Brilliant. I suppose if I do not wear it covert I can just stick the
company name on the back.

Then it becomes PPE for the business & you can claim it against tax :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home"
saying something like:

I could kill you with a 1" knife without touching the organs or an artery
and it would be instant.

But that would be illegal.

*May* be illegal!

You bad man.

May be a bad man.

Oh, I see. So it's all right for you to kill someone, but I can't speed?
Riiiiigght.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home"
saying something like:

I could kill you with a 1" knife without touching the organs or an artery
and it would be instant.
But that would be illegal.

*May* be illegal!

You bad man.

May be a bad man.

Oh, I see. So it's all right for you to kill someone, but I can't speed?
Riiiiigght.

Dennis didn't just write any random person, but "YOU"! (Or if I read it,
did he mean me?)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home"
saying something like:

I could kill you with a 1" knife without touching the organs or an
artery and it would be instant.

But that would be illegal.

*May* be illegal!

You bad man.

May be a bad man.

Oh, I see. So it's all right for you to kill someone, but I can't
speed? Riiiiigght.

Or have a fag in the pub....

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 17:07:00 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

I could kill you with a 1" knife without touching the organs or an
artery and it would be instant.
I have not seen a vest designed to stop it either. I will not disclose
it here.

You mean "if I told you, I'd have to kill you"? ;-)

--
John Stumbles

Extreme moderate
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home"
saying something like:

I could kill you with a 1" knife without touching the organs or an
artery
and it would be instant.

But that would be illegal.

*May* be illegal!

You bad man.

May be a bad man.

Oh, I see. So it's all right for you to kill someone, but I can't speed?

There are legal circumstances where you can kill someone, the same as there
are circumstances where a driver can speed.
You obviously don't understand when they are so you aren't capable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home"
saying something like:

I could kill you with a 1" knife without touching the organs or an artery
and it would be instant.
But that would be illegal.

*May* be illegal!

You bad man.

May be a bad man.

Oh, I see. So it's all right for you to kill someone, but I can't speed?
Riiiiigght.

Perhaps he's "Licenced to kill"?

Incidentally I don't think there is such a thing as an instant death.
Except perhaps in the case of a very large explosion.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
ARWadworth wrote:
"Colin Wilson"
o.uk wrote in
message g...
how about £25, but not quite covert
http://www.the-outdoor.co.uk/include...53&start=0&sea
rch_string=body+armour&search=Search&price_range=

Going by the description there, it says something about "no filler" -
could this be the armour that's missing ?

For £50, it looks like you can get ex-police body armour, not sure
what the stab level is though...

http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co...hopscr118.html

Brilliant. I suppose if I do not wear it covert I can just stick the
company name on the back.

Then it becomes PPE for the business & you can claim it against tax :-)

Nice idea, I never thought of that. Did you pinch that off your daughter or
the Shawshank Redemption? Either way a brilliant idea.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home"
saying something like:

I could kill you with a 1" knife without touching the organs or an
artery and it would be instant.

But that would be illegal.

*May* be illegal!

You bad man.

May be a bad man.

Oh, I see. So it's all right for you to kill someone, but I can't
speed? Riiiiigght.

Or have a fag in the pub....

It is still legal in a gay bar.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadworth wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message om...
ARWadworth wrote:
"Colin Wilson"
o.uk wrote in
message g...
how about £25, but not quite covert
http://www.the-outdoor.co.uk/include...53&start=0&sea
rch_string=body+armour&search=Search&price_range=

Going by the description there, it says something about "no filler"
- could this be the armour that's missing ?

For £50, it looks like you can get ex-police body armour, not sure
what the stab level is though...

http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co...hopscr118.html

Brilliant. I suppose if I do not wear it covert I can just stick the
company name on the back.

Then it becomes PPE for the business & you can claim it against tax
:-)

Nice idea, I never thought of that. Did you pinch that off your
daughter or the Shawshank Redemption? Either way a brilliant idea.

Neither - my accountant! One of many reasons for the embroidered logo on
the overalls & polo shirts - makes them wholey & exclusively for business
use.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home"
saying something like:

I could kill you with a 1" knife without touching the organs or
an artery and it would be instant.
But that would be illegal.
*May* be illegal!

You bad man.
May be a bad man.

Oh, I see. So it's all right for you to kill someone, but I can't
speed? Riiiiigght.

Perhaps he's "Licenced to kill"?

Self confessed glue sniffer - prolly out of his head.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 13:31:07 +0000, ARWadworth wrote:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message

Or have a fag in the pub....

It is still legal in a gay bar.

I think that would count as 'in public' so still not legal ;-)

--
John Stumbles

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
Andy Champ wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home"
saying something like:

I could kill you with a 1" knife without touching the organs or
an artery and it would be instant.
But that would be illegal.
*May* be illegal!

You bad man.
May be a bad man.

Oh, I see. So it's all right for you to kill someone, but I can't
speed? Riiiiigght.

Perhaps he's "Licenced to kill"?

Self confessed glue sniffer - prolly out of his head.

NAh, I reckon he'd try and use his razor sharp wit

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home"
saying something like:

I could kill you with a 1" knife without touching the organs or an
artery and it would be instant.

But that would be illegal.

*May* be illegal!

You bad man.

May be a bad man.

Oh, I see. So it's all right for you to kill someone, but I can't
speed? Riiiiigght.

Or have a fag in the pub....

It is still legal in a gay bar.

But only in the US. We have a different meaning for the word :-)

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home"
saying something like:

I could kill you with a 1" knife without touching the organs or an
artery
and it would be instant.
But that would be illegal.
*May* be illegal!

You bad man.
May be a bad man.

Oh, I see. So it's all right for you to kill someone, but I can't speed?
Riiiiigght.

Perhaps he's "Licenced to kill"?

Incidentally I don't think there is such a thing as an instant death.

All death is instant, you are alive, then you are dead there is no lingering
halfway state.

Except perhaps in the case of a very large explosion.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
ARWadworth wrote:
Brilliant. I suppose if I do not wear it covert I can just stick the
company name on the back.

Then it becomes PPE for the business & you can claim it against tax
:-)

And PPE would be zero rated for VAT as well?

I'm not registered, but I think it is.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Jul, 01:35, Owain wrote:

And PPE would be zero rated for VAT as well?

All depends where you buy it! There's a lot of mis-charging of VAT in
this field.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
ARWadworth wrote:
Brilliant. I suppose if I do not wear it covert I can just stick the
company name on the back.
Then it becomes PPE for the business & you can claim it against tax
:-)

And PPE would be zero rated for VAT as well?

I'm not registered, but I think it is.

I thought you said you earned a /lot/ of money in another post?
Not if you aren't VAT registered you don't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-07-21 08:18:49 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Owain wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
ARWadworth wrote:
Brilliant. I suppose if I do not wear it covert I can just stick the
company name on the back.
Then it becomes PPE for the business & you can claim it against tax
:-)

And PPE would be zero rated for VAT as well?

I'm not registered, but I think it is.

It would be worth it for those trips to Rye.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-07-21 10:16:24 +0100, "dennis@home"

Owain wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
ARWadworth wrote:
Brilliant. I suppose if I do not wear it covert I can just stick the
company name on the back.
Then it becomes PPE for the business & you can claim it against tax
:-)

And PPE would be zero rated for VAT as well?

I'm not registered, but I think it is.

I thought you said you earned a /lot/ of money in another post?
Not if you aren't VAT registered you don't.

That depends on what one considers to be a lot.

Dave will comment, I'm sure, but I would expect a handyman business to
be more time than materials intensive in terms of cost and what is
invoiced to the customer.

At the current level of around £65k at which registration is mandatory,
the recoverable VAT would be predominantly on materials purchased and
on fuel plus a few other small bits and pieces.. On the output
side, he will have increased his prices by 17.5% for no good reason.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

And PPE would be zero rated for VAT as well?

I'm not registered, but I think it is.

I thought you said you earned a /lot/ of money in another post?
Not if you aren't VAT registered you don't.

IIRC, Dave said very profitable - which is quite a different thing from
turnover.

Quite a few small businesses doing this type of work will allow the
customer to purchase the materials directly so as not to have them raise
the business turnover to above the VAT threshold. If the materials
represent only a small profit centre this can be quite worthwhile when
you are serving a customer base of non registered individuals since it
keeps your prices lower (or more likely your profitability 17.5% higher)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-07-21 08:18:49 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Owain wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
ARWadworth wrote:
Brilliant. I suppose if I do not wear it covert I can just stick
the company name on the back.
Then it becomes PPE for the business & you can claim it against tax
:-)

And PPE would be zero rated for VAT as well?

I'm not registered, but I think it is.

It would be worth it for those trips to Rye.

???

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-07-21 10:16:24 +0100, "dennis@home"

Owain wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
ARWadworth wrote:
[...]

Nail, hit, head.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

And PPE would be zero rated for VAT as well?

I'm not registered, but I think it is.

I thought you said you earned a /lot/ of money in another post?
Not if you aren't VAT registered you don't.

IIRC, Dave said very profitable - which is quite a different thing
from turnover.

Quite a few small businesses doing this type of work will allow the
customer to purchase the materials directly so as not to have them
raise the business turnover to above the VAT threshold. If the
materials represent only a small profit centre this can be quite
worthwhile when you are serving a customer base of non registered
individuals since it keeps your prices lower (or more likely your
profitability 17.5% higher)

Ferzackerly.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman