Posted to uk.d-i-y
K K is offline

Default kid-proof, dog-proof, dirt-proof paint

I'm painting the front hall, stairwell and landing and wanted to get
opinions on what paint to use. We have kids and dogs and the hall is
narrow enough that people and bags etc bump into and brush against the
walls frequently, so it's definitely a high-traffic area, and gets dirty
very fast.

I got very excited by that self-cleaning paint that was on Grand
Designs, but a) it's only for exteriors and b) it's £50 for 5 litres.
Apart from that, it would be perfect ;-)

So what I'm looking for, I suppose, is something that's easy to wipe
clean, that will stand up to the kind of beating it's going to get and
repeated washing. I know a tough high-gloss would be the hardest-
wearing, but I don't think it would look good. I also considered acrylic
panels over the wall, but again, the look...

Any suggestions for the best brand and type of paint I can use?

TIA

--
KVL

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"K" wrote in message
. org...
[...]

Dado rail at 1 metre any old matt or silk vinyl emulsion below can then wash
down touch up or repaint as necessary

maybe use darker colour below rail so marks are not as obvious and light
colour above to keep hall bright

in the old days when fashions were different the lower half of walls were
often wood panelled

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y
K K is offline

In article , says...
Tiles?

I thought of that, but it's already quite echo-y and, well, y'know, kids
and dogs can be noisy ;-)

--
KVL
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

K wrote:
In article ,
says...
Dado rail at 1 metre any old matt or silk vinyl emulsion below can then wash
down touch up or repaint as necessary

maybe use darker colour below rail so marks are not as obvious and light
colour above to keep hall bright

There's already a dado rail and I'd considered different shades below
and above, but the colour needs to coordinate with the rooms off the
hall, plus the the colour will be carried through to the kitchen, which
means I've had to choose something that works with three different
floors (two tiled, one carpeted) and it's been difficult enough to
choose one colour, never mind two. Also the hall is long and narrow,
which I think would be emphasised by different shades top and bottom.
We're going with a taupe shade, which I hope will not show dirt too
easily - but it *will* get dirty, no matter what colour I use, so my
main consideration now is getting as resilient a paint as I can.

Victorian houses sometimes (frequently? rarely?) had a dado rail with a
form of anaglypta/embossed paper below the rail. This then painted with,
I imagine, a full set of under and top coats of oil-based paints.
Typically either creamy or a rich colour. Ended up hardly less tough
than tiles. And one of the absolute worst wall finishes to remove. As I
found out... Even tiles yield to SDS. :-)

Maybe a modern interpretation would work?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod wrote:
Victorian houses sometimes (frequently? rarely?) had a dado rail with a
form of anaglypta/embossed paper below the rail. This then painted with,
I imagine, a full set of under and top coats of oil-based paints.
Typically either creamy or a rich colour. Ended up hardly less tough
than tiles. And one of the absolute worst wall finishes to remove. As I
found out... Even tiles yield to SDS. :-)

Maybe a modern interpretation would work?

Mine has. And a 'vestibule'. Where the dog shakes himself after a wet
walk. I did the bit below the dado with carpet tiles. Although the floor
is hardwood. Works pretty well.

--
*On the other hand, you have different fingers*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 5, 9:15*am, K wrote:

Any suggestions for the best brand and type of paint I can use?

For water based paint I'd look at a scrubbable matt like Dulux Real
Life Kitchen Tough Matt.

Goes on a bit differently to normal matt, so start with a less
noticeable area.

Also try asking on the talk forum on the Screwfix website.

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
K K is offline

In article ,
says...
Mine has. And a 'vestibule'. Where the dog shakes himself after a wet
walk.

Hoping to build one of those sometime next year...

--
KVL

Posted to uk.d-i-y
K K is offline

In article ,
says...
http://www.ryebrook.co.uk/wall_coatings.htm

That looks interesting. I'll ring them tomorrow but in the meantime, do
you have any idea about cost or stockists? (No info on the site about
either.)

--
KVL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , K
writes

Any suggestions for the best brand and type of paint I can use?

Vinyl wallpaper, think of it as painting on a roll.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"K" wrote in message
. org...
So what I'm looking for, I suppose, is something that's easy to wipe
clean, that will stand up to the kind of beating it's going to get and
repeated washing. ...

I built a clean room, which had to be washed down with bleach and
disinfectant on a regular basis, using skinned foamed PVC sheet to line
walls and ceiling. The industrial grade vinyl floor has started to wear, but
the walls are just as good as when they went up in 1990.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
K K is offline

In article , "nightjar"
cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk says...
I built a clean room, which had to be washed down with bleach and
disinfectant on a regular basis, using skinned foamed PVC sheet to line
walls and ceiling.

*pause to google*

I'd still have to paint it though, unless I wanted it in white, right?
So that would bring me back to which paint to use...

--
KVL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"K" wrote in message
. org...
In article , "nightjar"
cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk says...
I built a clean room, which had to be washed down with bleach and
disinfectant on a regular basis, using skinned foamed PVC sheet to line
walls and ceiling.

*pause to google*

I'd still have to paint it though, unless I wanted it in white, right?

My plastics stockist had it available in a huge range of colours, although
only white and beige were off the shelf.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"K" wrote in message
. org...
So what I'm looking for, I suppose, is something that's easy to wipe
clean, that will stand up to the kind of beating it's going to get
and repeated washing. ...

I built a clean room, which had to be washed down with bleach and
disinfectant on a regular basis,

Teenagers, eh? The mucky little beggars.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

K wrote:

[...]

Car spray paint is the stuff for this. Much tougher than household
gloss. You can also get 2 part marine paints, but the prices are
excessive. Beware of fumes with car paints, when using on large
areas indoors this is a potentially dangerous problem you must
address during application and drying.

NT