Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Default Electric cars a step nearer mainstream?

"Tim Ward" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

A scooter travelling well within any speed limit will arrive at a
destination sooner than legally driven cars most of the time.

If you live that long. I gave up driving a bike years ago, when just too
many people in cars had tried to kill me.

I said 'legally driven' ...

They kill pedestrians and occupants of cars too.

I don't LIKE motor bikes of any kind but it seems that they're involved in
fewer accidents than cars, per capita.

(And as to speed, my C90 just about managed 60mph when slipstreaming
downhill at exactly the optimum distance behind a juggernaut. It was only
faster than a car when driving around town.)

And did that speed matter? I can't understand why everyone's in such a
hurry. They say they want to save time - for what? Getting home and watching
tv??

You miss so much when travelling fast :-(

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"CWatters" wrote in message
et...
Many families have two cars these days so if we assume that one of them
is a 500 mile range gas guzzler....is there any reason why most of the
"second" cars need have more than 100 mile range? If reliable 100 mile
range, acceptable acceleration and 70mph could be achieved I'd buy one.

We got rid of our second car some yers ago, replacing it with a 125cc
scooter. It's fine for local journeys and has at least a 100 mile range.
We don't need 70mph because we don't use it for that sort of journey -
why should we want to?

It probably chucks out so much muck that it makes a diesel bus look clean.
Especially if its a two stroke.

It's not and it's clean. Don't know why I bother to say that because you
obviously think you know more about our lives than we do :-)

Nobody that uses a scooter or motor bike can claim to be clean.
No cats and burn oil.

You don't know much about modern scooters do you? I don't claim to know
about modern bikes and I was glad to be rid of the 'oily' Enfield but a
son's big Triumph is extremely clean, I was amazed.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

"Jon Green" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:
This is another reason for the diesel and for using commecial pumps.
Apart from faster delivery, they have the little wire insert on the pump
handle which means that it's not necessary to hold the trigger.

I've often thought about putting a little (but sturdy) metal eye-pin on my
keyring, to replace the missing pin during fuelling. Never got a round
tuit, though. American pumps have them, so I don't really understand why
UK ones don't.

Once some idiot has flooded the forecourt with a few hundred liters of fuel
you will understand.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Jon Green" wrote in message
news
tony sayer wrote:
Yes not quite the Hydrogen which cased all of that, apparently the
envelope fabric was almost explosive!...

Well, given that they'd essentially doped it with thermite, and set up
ideal conditions for a static spark to kick it off...seems to me that they
were lucky that lightning didn't do the job for them mid-Atlantic. As it
was, because it ignited near its mooring mast, most of those on-board did
survive, something that's often forgotten.

Flames go upwards ...

True, but burning airships go downwards, and it would be easy to believe
that anyone in the gondola would have been crushed, burnt or both. I
was rather surprised when I read the statistic, given the film of the
Hindenberg's destruction.

Jon
--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE! To reply in email, replace 'deadspam'
with 'green-lines'.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
"Doctor Drivel" gurgled happily, sounding much

Battery for town, petrol for longer.

Woo. Two mile range at a pace an out-of-tune 2cv could beat, then the
petrol engine's needed to charge your Pious up again.

That's missing the point really. It's true that a Prius has a 2 mile
range if you run it as an electric vehicle (unless you've done the
large battery conversion which allows mains charging and a 30 mile
range), but the EV mode is really only a gimick (and indeed, it's not
even fitted on US models).

The way it actually tends to work, assuming the engine is warm (if
it's not, it'll run it to make sure it stays warm, so lots of very
short trips will damage fuel economy a bit) is that it'll use the
engine to assist in accelerating away from traffic lights, etc., and
then switch it off when you're cruising along at 30mph, or
whatever. Engine on for applying power, off for cruising (up to about
50 mph), deceleration and sitting in stationary traffic. This is where
it manages to get upwards of 50mpg in the urban cycle, as well as
avoiding crawling along in slow moving traffic along, e.g. Mill Road,
where the lack of fumes is possibly appreciated by nearby pedestrians.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

Hybrids are availabe to suit your needs.

I'm open to suggestions. It has to have as much cargo space as the estate
plus a large roof box and be able to tow a caravan for up to 300 miles and
back. No electricity available on the sites we visit.

Lexus do a line of hybrid chealsea tractors.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Mary Fisher wrote:
You don't know much about modern scooters do you? I don't claim to know
about modern bikes and I was glad to be rid of the 'oily' Enfield

Original, or Indian?

but a son's big Triumph is extremely clean, I was amazed.

Saw a ludicrously big Trump parked outside McDonalds Newmarket Rd
(Cambridge, for uk.d-i-y folks) recently - 2.3 litres of three-cylinder
madness! I'd not seen one before, although apparently they've been
around for the best part of five years, at least in the States.

It's embarrassing, it really is. A bike with a bigger (and way more
powerful) engine than our MPV! Sadly, I didn't hear it fire up - it was
gone before we were.

If that one decides to go over, who's going to argue? *grin*

Jon
--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE! To reply in email, replace 'deadspam'
with 'green-lines'.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

dennis@home wrote:

"Jon Green" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:
This is another reason for the diesel and for using commecial pumps.
Apart from faster delivery, they have the little wire insert on the
pump handle which means that it's not necessary to hold the trigger.

I've often thought about putting a little (but sturdy) metal eye-pin
on my keyring, to replace the missing pin during fuelling. Never got
a round tuit, though. American pumps have them, so I don't really
understand why UK ones don't.

Once some idiot has flooded the forecourt with a few hundred liters of
fuel you will understand.

How often does that happen in the US, then?

Jon
--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE! To reply in email, replace 'deadspam'
with 'green-lines'.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On 28/05/2008 08:57, Jon Green wrote:

Are buses still exempt?

Dunno, but one of the smaller operators in Nottingham boasts about Euro5
engines with slogans like "emissions from this bus are cleaner than a
nun's thoughts"
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

"CWatters" wrote in message
[...]

I would be amazed too.
You obviously don't know much about bikes.
They don't even test emissions in the MOT test as they know they are so bad
most would fail any meaningful tests.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 May 2008 21:16:42 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 27 May 2008 17:54:21 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 May 2008 16:37:52 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

Hint: kerbside emissions.

For 2 miles in the city traffic .. LOL!

Get to know how they work. You clearly do not.

Oh look, someone is selling a perpetual motion machine on eBay ..
quick ...

Wonder why they're selling it - guarantee run out or does it go round in
circles ... ?

I think they built several Mary .. ;-)

I see Dribble is selling his Primus on eBay ..

http://tinyurl.com/3tvg54

Seriously though, anything that reduces emissions [1], especially in
built up areas [2] AND does many more mpg than alternatives should be
considered.

Agreed.

However, hybrids are no more than a stop-gap to better technologies,
aren't significantly better mpg than many std vehicles and ONLY offer
their reduced kerbside emissions in stop-start traffic areas (where we
shouldn't be driving in the first place).

Agreed. About our not driving in such conditions.

A decent trip on decent roads (where you can maintain a constant speed
and brake rarely) and it's just an ordinary IC car.

So?

The big problem these days is the volatility of everything. It seems
as soon as you change to a cheaper fuel source or vehicle then someone
moves the goalposts (didn't that happen to LPG recently?).

Oh yes, and there are VERY many very clever people who know everything.
Especially on uk.d-i-y.

And who can afford to keep changing their vehicles every few months
(and what of the environmental cost of all these out_of_fashion
vehicles)?

I'm all for recycling, now where did I put that old chip oil? ;-)

A friend of mine pours (new) vegetable oil which he buys at his supermarket
into his fuel pipe. He says that at 78p (or whatever) per litre it's cheaper
than fuel at the pump and that it works perfectly.

I can't see that because I know how cooking oil oxidises and becomes gummy
when used for cooking. I haven't argued with him.

Doesn't a mix of mineral & vegetable oils make a solid substance?

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

"Sarah Brown" wrote in message
In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

Hybrids are availabe to suit your needs.

I'm open to suggestions. It has to have as much cargo space as the estate
plus a large roof box and be able to tow a caravan for up to 300 miles and
back. No electricity available on the sites we visit.

Lexus do a line of hybrid chealsea tractors.

Any more information?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

"Jon Green" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:

"Jon Green" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:
This is another reason for the diesel and for using commecial pumps.
Apart from faster delivery, they have the little wire insert on the
pump handle which means that it's not necessary to hold the trigger.

I've often thought about putting a little (but sturdy) metal eye-pin on
my keyring, to replace the missing pin during fuelling. Never got a
round tuit, though. American pumps have them, so I don't really
understand why UK ones don't.

Once some idiot has flooded the forecourt with a few hundred liters of
fuel you will understand.

How often does that happen in the US, then?

It doesn't matter, it can, but not if they have to hold the handle.

That's like saying why check for bombs on aircraft because they don't blow
up often.
Jon
--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE! To reply in email, replace 'deadspam'
with 'green-lines'.

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Wed, 28 May 2008 08:57:01 +0100, Jon Green wrote:

Are buses still exempt? I never did understand why public transport
seemed to have the weakest emissions control of all.

Presumably beacuse the operators boards have friends and/or shareholders
in high places?

I find the hauliers demands yesterday of an "essential user" rebate rather
strange. To me an "essential user" would be the fire, ambulance and police
services and only those hauliers involved in the food and/or fuel supply
chain. Sorry but F.Bloggs Hauliers Ltd taking a pallet of widgets from A
to B is not an "essential user".

Until your widget supplier runs out when you need one desperately ...

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
Rod Rod is offline

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
Hybrids are availabe to suit your needs.
I'm open to suggestions. It has to have as much cargo space as the estate
plus a large roof box and be able to tow a caravan for up to 300 miles and
back. No electricity available on the sites we visit.

Lexus do a line of hybrid chealsea tractors.

Any more information?

RX400h - he

http://www.lexus.co.uk/hybrid/index.aspx

Prices seem to be in the 35 to 40 thousand pounds. (Each.)

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 May 2008 23:46:46 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

We got rid of our second car some yers ago, replacing it with a 125cc
scooter. It's fine for local journeys and has at least a 100 mile range.
We don't need 70mph because we don't use it for that sort of journey -
why should we want to?

It probably chucks out so much muck that it makes a diesel bus look clean.

If it's petrol (and most are) it that's unlikely.

Especially if its a two stroke.

2/s are being phased out in many fields (outboards etc)

Nobody that uses a scooter or motor bike can claim to be clean.

Even the Vectrix?

And isn't doing 80 mpg on an old 250 motorbike better than doing 10
mpg in an old car (even if neither is clean).

No cats and burn oil.

I think you will find many bikes come with cats, even 50cc scooters ..
;-)

http://www.scooterstyle.com.au/index10.php

And what do we do with the polluted cat when that's finished it's
life?

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 May 2008 21:43:09 +0100, "CWatters"
wrote:

Many families have two cars these days so if we assume that one of them is a
500 mile range gas guzzler....is there any reason why most of the "second"
cars need have more than 100 mile range? If reliable 100 mile range,
acceptable acceleration and 70mph could be achieved I'd buy one.

We also could do with a solution for families who don't own more than
one car. I can't see an affordable all electric car being available
this generation.

Also has anyone factored in battery self discharge into the equation?
I would imagine a low use car to lose a lot of energy from this.

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

"Jon Green" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
You don't know much about modern scooters do you? I don't claim to know
about modern bikes and I was glad to be rid of the 'oily' Enfield

Original, or Indian?

Original. A son in law bought it and hasn't done anything with it. Now he's
probably dying so Spouse says he'll have it back.

On no he won't!

Another son would like it and says he'll restore it (it's been in a stone
barn for years).

Oh no he won't!

Then there's the BSA ...

2.3 litres of three-cylinder
madness! I'd not seen one before, although apparently they've been around
for the best part of five years, at least in the States.

Madness. We saw lots of huge things on Monday. Perhaps their owner think
they're fun, I think they're unnecessary. But so are most things which
people think are essential to their happiness.

.... Sadly, I didn't hear it fire up - it was
gone before we were.

And you didn't hear it???

If that one decides to go over, who's going to argue? *grin*

Not me.

I can't even lift the Piaggio by myself.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

"dennis@home" wrote in message

You don't know much about modern scooters do you? I don't claim to know
about modern bikes and I was glad to be rid of the 'oily' Enfield but a
son's big Triumph is extremely clean, I was amazed.

I would be amazed too.
You obviously don't know much about bikes.

LOL! I've owned, serviced, repaired and ridden them since 1960.

You shouldn't make assumptions!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On 2008-05-28, Jon Green wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:
This is another reason for the diesel and for using commecial pumps.
Apart from faster delivery, they have the little wire insert on the
pump handle which means that it's not necessary to hold the trigger.

I've often thought about putting a little (but sturdy) metal eye-pin on
my keyring, to replace the missing pin during fuelling. Never got a
round tuit, though. American pumps have them, so I don't really
understand why UK ones don't.

Elfin Saftey fascists, I expect.

Safety.
Your welcome :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

I am not talking about a Pious. Its a total abortion.

You are talking total tripe! The Toyota hybrid system is by far the best
anyone has come up with. It is licenced to many other companies, including
Ford.

I am talking about a proper BEV that doesn't have to carry a silly engine,
a generator, and a complex drive system to couple the lot to an electric
motor,

Then look at this:
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006...ybrid_mini.php
http://www.pmlflightlink.com/archive/news_mini.html

We meed an Issigonis to re-desing the whole car from the ground up
basically, but it will work all right.

Cars will look different, be lighter and more aerodynamic, once they design
around the new electric components.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Doctor Drivel wrote:

I am not talking about a Pious. Its a total abortion.

You are talking total tripe! The Toyota hybrid system is by far the
best anyone has come up with. It is licenced to many other companies,
including Ford.

ROFLMAO!!!

good thing I have finished my coffee.

I am talking about a proper BEV that doesn't have to carry a silly
engine, a generator, and a complex drive system to couple the lot to
an electric motor,

Then look at this:
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006...ybrid_mini.php
http://www.pmlflightlink.com/archive/news_mini.html

We meed an Issigonis to re-desing the whole car from the ground up
basically, but it will work all right.

Cars will look different, be lighter and more aerodynamic, once they
design around the new electric components.

Of course they will stoopid.

Once you cant use more than half a dozen componnents from your
production line on the new car, it becomes sane to start again with a
clean sheet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
Hybrids are availabe to suit your needs.
I'm open to suggestions. It has to have as much cargo space as the
estate
plus a large roof box and be able to tow a caravan for up to 300 miles
and
back. No electricity available on the sites we visit.
Lexus do a line of hybrid chealsea tractors.

Any more information?

RX400h - he

http://www.lexus.co.uk/hybrid/index.aspx

Prices seem to be in the 35 to 40 thousand pounds. (Each.)

Hmm. Although we're not on the breadline I don't think our piggy bank is as
fat as that ... but I'll have a look anyway. Thanks,

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message

Doesn't a mix of mineral & vegetable oils make a solid substance?

Depends on which types. Some vegetable oils (palm for example) is solid at
room temperature which it's why it's used in baked goods.

And that's one reason why I don't buy commercial baked goods :-)

Mary

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

On 28 May 2008 09:28:39 GMT, Huge wrote:

My Td5 Discovery does about 22mpg in everyday use.

Summat wrong wiv it... My long term (3.51 years) average is 29.4mpg. Not
much stop/start town driving in that though. The last two tank fulls have
produced 31.5 and 30.5 mpg over 484 and 486 miles, mostly rural A roads
bowling along at 50mph (+/-5 mph or so) and local running.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Gosh, Tim, saved my fingers :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

The message
from Huge contains these words:

It won't save more than about 25% at best.

My Td5 Discovery does about 22mpg in everyday use. The 4.0 Range Rover it
replaced did 13mpg under the same conditions. That's significantly
better than
25%.

That's not exactly like with like. Different models and presumably even
different engine sizes. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought a td5 was
only 2.5 litres capacity.

FWIW my early 80s RR did about 17 mpg.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On or about 2008-05-28,
Huge illuminated us with:

On 2008-05-27, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
The articles are about the future. The electric Mini gets 200 miles range
and outperforms a Porche.

Porsche.

Ah, possibly. I thought they were talking about a porch. Which makes
sense in context I think.

--
Mark
Real email address | Early bird gets the worm,

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On or about 2008-05-28,
Huge illuminated us with:
On 2008-05-27, Mike P wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message

Rubbish. Rover's K-series weighs about 130kg with transmission. Add 50kg
for fuel, and you have a complete powertrain with a 300 mile range (and
five minutes recharge for the next 300 miles) for 40% of that "half a
ton".

The powertrain on a 2cv - engine and gearbox - is light enough to be
carried by two people. With 25 litres of fuel, it'll give a four-seater
car weighing half a ton _complete_ a range of 200+ miles.

You must be getting weak. I can carry a 2CV engine and box myself :-)

I've picked up a Mini engine & gearbox. Briefly.

I've picked up half a Ford 2.5L diesel trannie engine. But I doubt
whether I could do it now!

--
Mark
Real email address |
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

RX400h - he

http://www.lexus.co.uk/hybrid/index.aspx

Prices seem to be in the 35 to 40 thousand pounds. (Each.)

Hmm. Although we're not on the breadline I don't think our piggy bank is as
fat as that ... but I'll have a look anyway. Thanks,

Hmm. I would have thought you would have thrown up your hands in horror
at such a monstrous abomination. How anyone could consider 195 gmsCO2/km
in the least bit green is beyond me.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

"Rod" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

http://www.lexus.co.uk/hybrid/index.aspx

I had a look, it's a very nice site. Couldn't see any estate versions
though, I've asked if there is one and if it can tow.

Prices seem to be in the 35 to 40 thousand pounds. (Each.)

There may be a second hand model which is suitable for us. There's a local
dealer and there's no rush so we can afford to wait.

Thanks again for the information,

Mary

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 May 2008 10:56:57 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

I find the hauliers demands yesterday of an "essential user" rebate
rather strange. To me an "essential user" would be the fire, ambulance
and police services and only those hauliers involved in the food and/or
fuel supply chain. Sorry but F.Bloggs Hauliers Ltd taking a pallet of
widgets from A to B is not an "essential user".

Until your widget supplier runs out when you need one desperately ...

But F.Blogs Hauliers Ltd is complaining that they will go out of business
with out government help. Well the answer is put your prices up. If it
cost X to transport that pallet of widgets from A to B that is the minimum
you should charge. It's called market forces and being in bussiness. It's
not as if Smiths Trucking down the road is getting fuel 20p/l cheaper than
J.Blogs Hauliers. We are all in the same boat. They wibble about
continental truckers coming over and doing the work on their cheap fuel,
er, once a forgien truck has done a few hundred miles it will need to fill
up at our prices...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
.. .

Hybrids are availabe to suit your needs.

I'm open to suggestions. It has to have as much cargo space as the estate
plus a large roof box and be able to tow a caravan for up to 300 miles and
back. No electricity available on the sites we visit.

Lexus do a line of hybrid chealsea tractors.

Any more information?

Gladly:

http://www.lexus.co.uk/hybrid/index.aspx

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On 2008-05-28 12:16:30 +0100, Roger said:

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

RX400h - he

http://www.lexus.co.uk/hybrid/index.aspx

Prices seem to be in the 35 to 40 thousand pounds. (Each.)

Hmm. Although we're not on the breadline I don't think our piggy bank is as
fat as that ... but I'll have a look anyway. Thanks,

Hmm. I would have thought you would have thrown up your hands in horror
at such a monstrous abomination. How anyone could consider 195 gmsCO2/km
in the least bit green is beyond me.

My Land Rover is green. Does that count?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On 2008-05-28 08:55:39 +0100, Jon Green said:

Andy Hall wrote:
This is another reason for the diesel and for using commecial pumps.
Apart from faster delivery, they have the little wire insert on the
pump handle which means that it's not necessary to hold the trigger.

I've often thought about putting a little (but sturdy) metal eye-pin on
my keyring, to replace the missing pin during fuelling. Never got a
round tuit, though. American pumps have them, so I don't really
understand why UK ones don't.

Jon

I have a couple of them that fell into my hand at a filling station in
Germany. They are a U shaped loop of thick wire.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On 2008-05-28 10:23:25 +0100, "dennis@home"
said:

"Jon Green" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:
This is another reason for the diesel and for using commecial pumps.
Apart from faster delivery, they have the little wire insert on the
pump handle which means that it's not necessary to hold the trigger.

I've often thought about putting a little (but sturdy) metal eye-pin on
my keyring, to replace the missing pin during fuelling. Never got a
round tuit, though. American pumps have them, so I don't really
understand why UK ones don't.

Once some idiot has flooded the forecourt with a few hundred liters of
fuel you will understand.

That's nonsense. The full tank trip mechanism still works even with
the latch wire in place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On 2008-05-28 10:56:07 +0100, "dennis@home"
said:

"Jon Green" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:

"Jon Green" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:
This is another reason for the diesel and for using commecial pumps.
Apart from faster delivery, they have the little wire insert on the
pump handle which means that it's not necessary to hold the trigger.

I've often thought about putting a little (but sturdy) metal eye-pin on
my keyring, to replace the missing pin during fuelling. Never got a
round tuit, though. American pumps have them, so I don't really
understand why UK ones don't.

Once some idiot has flooded the forecourt with a few hundred liters of
fuel you will understand.

How often does that happen in the US, then?

It doesn't matter, it can, but not if they have to hold the handle.

This doesn't happen because the trip mechanism in the handle still
works. All petrol stations I have used in the U.S. have the latch
wires on the pump handles. I have never seen a flood of fuel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On 2008-05-28, Jon Green wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:
This is another reason for the diesel and for using commecial pumps.
Apart from faster delivery, they have the little wire insert on the
pump handle which means that it's not necessary to hold the trigger.

I've often thought about putting a little (but sturdy) metal eye-pin on
my keyring, to replace the missing pin during fuelling. Never got a
round tuit, though. American pumps have them, so I don't really
understand why UK ones don't.

Elfin Saftey fascists, I expect.

Ironically the U.S. arrangement is probably safer. The pump is
tripped off when the tank is full and it is virtually impossible to top
off the tank and spill fuel.

They even have vapour extraction around the nozzle in the form of a
flexible concertina plastic thingy