Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hammering screws

Hi everyone

I've heard hammered screws are problematic to remove, but I've not had
any difficulty removing them, in fact they come out easier than
screwed in ones. And a good whack is more appealing than trying to
screw the sods in.

Are there any problems at all with hammered screws?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Hi everyone

I've heard hammered screws are problematic to remove, but I've not had
any difficulty removing them, in fact they come out easier than
screwed in ones. And a good whack is more appealing than trying to
screw the sods in.

Are there any problems at all with hammered screws?

NT

Yeah the gits who installed my CH hammered screws home when they put the
floorboards back down...they also got hammered with a bill for the cost of
repairs to the ceilings below ie bits of plaster and cracks on the kitchen
and living room.*******

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 May 2008 04:49:38 -0700, meow2222 wrote:

Are there any problems at all with hammered screws?

Try getting out one that's got bent being hammered in!

--
John Stumbles

The clairvoyants' meeting has been cancelled due to unforseen circumstances.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hi everyone

I've heard hammered screws are problematic to remove, but I've not had
any difficulty removing them, in fact they come out easier than
screwed in ones. And a good whack is more appealing than trying to
screw the sods in.

Are there any problems at all with hammered screws?

NT

So summarising the feedback, and adding my own conclusion, it seems
you agree that hammered screws are intermediate between screwed screws
and nails.

Pullout resistance: intermediate
Problems when inserting: much less often than nails
Removal effort: harder than nails, easier than screwed screws
Cost: material cost as screws, labour cost as nails.

Try getting out one that's got bent being hammered in!

just treated them like tough gripping nails, used a prybar, and had
less problems than with nails.

NT