Posted to alt.home.repair
Tracey

Default Noisy toilet and a little hammering

A few days ago, one of the toilets in the house developed a noisy
refill. It refills normally for a few minutes, and then it gets noisy
like there's air in the supply line.

I've observed the inside of the tank during refill, and for the first
few (normal) minutes, water comes in through the fill valve and refills
the tank normally, and there's a good flow of water from the little
refill hose into the tall white tube.

Then the high-pitched hissing noise enters the mix, and flow from the
rubber hose slows or stops. I start to see tiny bubbles coming from
the bottom of the fill valve, and water starts leaking out of the top
of the valve.

Sometimes water shutoff is noisy, and one night we had actually
hammering. Most of the time, though, shutoff is fairly normal.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Tracey wrote:

A few days ago, one of the toilets in the house developed a noisy
refill. It refills normally for a few minutes, and then it gets noisy
like there's air in the supply line.

I've observed the inside of the tank during refill, and for the first
few (normal) minutes, water comes in through the fill valve and refills
the tank normally, and there's a good flow of water from the little
refill hose into the tall white tube.

Then the high-pitched hissing noise enters the mix, and flow from the
rubber hose slows or stops. I start to see tiny bubbles coming from
the bottom of the fill valve, and water starts leaking out of the top
of the valve.

Sometimes water shutoff is noisy, and one night we had actually
hammering. Most of the time, though, shutoff is fairly normal.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Replace the fill valve or rebuild it if parts kits are available.

Jim

Toilet drain runs 15 feet... Bob Home Repair 21 March 1st 06 06:06 PM
Slow flushing toilet: Vent stack? TeGGeR® Home Repair 12 March 1st 06 02:00 AM
toilet back up nogggin Home Repair 12 February 11th 06 11:17 PM
wax free toilet seal - experiences? AAB Home Repair 18 March 3rd 04 01:05 AM
Run on toilet paper predicted Stormin Mormon Home Repair 12 October 30th 03 07:48 PM