Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Hammering screws

wrote:

So summarising the feedback, and adding my own conclusion, it seems
you agree that hammered screws are intermediate between screwed screws
and nails.

Pullout resistance: intermediate
Problems when inserting: much less often than nails
Removal effort: harder than nails, easier than screwed screws
Cost: material cost as screws, labour cost as nails.

Try getting out one that's got bent being hammered in!

just treated them like tough gripping nails, used a prybar, and had
less problems than with nails.

Can be difficult to get started when removing. A nail remover doesn't
easily get under a fully countersunk head. And a screwdriver sometimes
does nothing useful - even if the head isn't damaged beyond use.

I suspect that parallel screws are probably a touch better in this
regard than old-fashioned slightly tapering ones. With a taper, if they
pull out at all they will be very loosely held.

--
Rod

onset.