DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Hammering screws (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/251296-hammering-screws.html)

[email protected] May 26th 08 12:49 PM

Hammering screws

Hi everyone

I've heard hammered screws are problematic to remove, but I've not had
any difficulty removing them, in fact they come out easier than
screwed in ones. And a good whack is more appealing than trying to
screw the sods in.

Are there any problems at all with hammered screws?

NT

George May 26th 08 12:54 PM

Hammering screws

wrote in message
Hi everyone

I've heard hammered screws are problematic to remove, but I've not had
any difficulty removing them, in fact they come out easier than
screwed in ones. And a good whack is more appealing than trying to
screw the sods in.

Are there any problems at all with hammered screws?

NT

Yeah the gits who installed my CH hammered screws home when they put the
floorboards back down...they also got hammered with a bill for the cost of
repairs to the ceilings below ie bits of plaster and cracks on the kitchen
and living room.*******

Stuart Noble May 26th 08 01:50 PM

Hammering screws

wrote:
Hi everyone

I've heard hammered screws are problematic to remove, but I've not had
any difficulty removing them, in fact they come out easier than
screwed in ones. And a good whack is more appealing than trying to
screw the sods in.

Are there any problems at all with hammered screws?

NT

You mean the tool known as The Birmingham Screwdriver?
They come out more easily for reasons one would hope were obvious.

The Medway Handyman May 26th 08 02:03 PM

Hammering screws

wrote:
Hi everyone

I've heard hammered screws are problematic to remove, but I've not had
any difficulty removing them, in fact they come out easier than
screwed in ones.
Are there any problems at all with hammered screws?

As you said - "they come out easier than screwed in ones". which means they
are not doing their job properly.

And a good whack is more appealing than trying to
screw the sods in.

Mechanise. Impact driver, autofeed screwdriver. Average deck I build has
1,000 odd screws to go in BTDTGTTS.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

John Rumm May 26th 08 02:32 PM

Hammering screws

wrote:
Hi everyone

I've heard hammered screws are problematic to remove, but I've not had
any difficulty removing them, in fact they come out easier than
screwed in ones. And a good whack is more appealing than trying to
screw the sods in.

Are there any problems at all with hammered screws?

A bunch...

Higher insertion force / noise / vibration damage etc compared to a nail.

Higher cost than nails.

Lower pull out resistance than a screwed screw.

Case hardened screw more likely to shatter on hammering - and less
toughness than a wire nail.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |

John Stumbles May 26th 08 04:52 PM

Hammering screws

On Mon, 26 May 2008 04:49:38 -0700, meow2222 wrote:

Are there any problems at all with hammered screws?

Try getting out one that's got bent being hammered in!

--
John Stumbles

The clairvoyants' meeting has been cancelled due to unforseen circumstances.

[email protected] May 27th 08 11:54 PM

Hammering screws

wrote:
Hi everyone

I've heard hammered screws are problematic to remove, but I've not had
any difficulty removing them, in fact they come out easier than
screwed in ones. And a good whack is more appealing than trying to
screw the sods in.

Are there any problems at all with hammered screws?

NT

So summarising the feedback, and adding my own conclusion, it seems
you agree that hammered screws are intermediate between screwed screws
and nails.

Pullout resistance: intermediate
Problems when inserting: much less often than nails
Removal effort: harder than nails, easier than screwed screws
Cost: material cost as screws, labour cost as nails.

Try getting out one that's got bent being hammered in!

just treated them like tough gripping nails, used a prybar, and had
less problems than with nails.

NT

Rod May 28th 08 09:32 AM

Hammering screws

wrote:

So summarising the feedback, and adding my own conclusion, it seems
you agree that hammered screws are intermediate between screwed screws
and nails.

Pullout resistance: intermediate
Problems when inserting: much less often than nails
Removal effort: harder than nails, easier than screwed screws
Cost: material cost as screws, labour cost as nails.

Try getting out one that's got bent being hammered in!

just treated them like tough gripping nails, used a prybar, and had
less problems than with nails.

Can be difficult to get started when removing. A nail remover doesn't
easily get under a fully countersunk head. And a screwdriver sometimes
does nothing useful - even if the head isn't damaged beyond use.

I suspect that parallel screws are probably a touch better in this
regard than old-fashioned slightly tapering ones. With a taper, if they
pull out at all they will be very loosely held.

--
Rod

onset.

Grimly Curmudgeon May 28th 08 02:48 PM

Hammering screws

drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something
like:

Are there any problems at all with hammered screws?

Do you mean the ones that are designed to be hammered in - the lightly
twisted thread? If so, I've not had any real problems with them where
they are meant to be used, as in holding corrugated iron sheets on, etc.

Or do you mean hammerfix frame fixers? Same goes.

If you mean hammering in ordinary screws - it's a daft idea.

--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House

[email protected] May 28th 08 11:34 PM

Hammering screws

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something
like:

Are there any problems at all with hammered screws?

Do you mean the ones that are designed to be hammered in - the lightly
twisted thread? If so, I've not had any real problems with them where
they are meant to be used, as in holding corrugated iron sheets on, etc.

Or do you mean hammerfix frame fixers? Same goes.

If you mean hammering in ordinary screws - it's a daft idea.

the latter. I've been doing loads of it, and it works very well.

NT

The Medway Handyman May 29th 08 01:00 AM

Hammering screws

wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

drugs began to take hold. I remember
saying
something like:

Are there any problems at all with hammered screws?

Do you mean the ones that are designed to be hammered in - the
lightly twisted thread? If so, I've not had any real problems with
them where they are meant to be used, as in holding corrugated iron
sheets on, etc.

Or do you mean hammerfix frame fixers? Same goes.

If you mean hammering in ordinary screws - it's a daft idea.

the latter. I've been doing loads of it, and it works very well.

Go & stand in the naughty corner until told to move.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Grimly Curmudgeon May 31st 08 11:34 AM