Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default anti fungal paint additive

Hi all,

I have a bad black mould problem and am going to have to redecorate
several rooms.... I have found some Dulux trade antifungal white
emulsion which will do the ceilings but would like to do something about
the walls. Does anyone know of an additive that could be added to
standard emulsions, or a treatment that would use to inhibit the return
of the mould. I've spent a lot of effort with mould cleaner and
scrubbing to remove it and I would like to keep it away as long as possible.

Thanks for any ideas,

Paul.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Paul Waites writes:
Hi all,

I have a bad black mould problem and am going to have to redecorate
several rooms.... I have found some Dulux trade antifungal white
emulsion which will do the ceilings but would like to do something about
the walls. Does anyone know of an additive that could be added to
standard emulsions, or a treatment that would use to inhibit the return
of the mould. I've spent a lot of effort with mould cleaner and
scrubbing to remove it and I would like to keep it away as long as possible.

That's the wrong fix. You need to find out why it's forming and
cure the cause. Most likely it's condensation, caused by poor
ventilation and/or excessive moisture production and/or uneven
heating and/or poor insulation.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
Paul Waites writes:
Hi all,

I have a bad black mould problem and am going to have to redecorate
several rooms.... I have found some Dulux trade antifungal white
emulsion which will do the ceilings but would like to do something about
the walls. Does anyone know of an additive that could be added to
standard emulsions, or a treatment that would use to inhibit the return
of the mould. I've spent a lot of effort with mould cleaner and
scrubbing to remove it and I would like to keep it away as long as
possible.

That's the wrong fix. You need to find out why it's forming and
cure the cause. Most likely it's condensation, caused by poor
ventilation and/or excessive moisture production and/or uneven
heating and/or poor insulation.

Yes, find the cause and deal with it.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul Waites writes:
[...]

Yes we have dealt with the cause, as you say it is condensation. The
concrete floors have been sealed, polystyrene added to the external
walls, and extra air bricks added... The thing is that once you've got
the spores they come back... The ceilings are artex so it is a sod to
clean once the mould comes back... Even to a small degree so I want to
finish things off with paint that may discourage the mould as some small
amounts of condensation does return.

Paul.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Paul Waites writes:
[...]

Glad you have actually done the sensible thing.

I assume that this special Dulux paint is only available in white? If
that is the problem, you could always use the same but add pigments as
needed. Not sure what is availabkle where but I have seen some suitable
pigments in some of the sheds. (It is not entirely impossible that a
paint shop might use their colour mixer facility to help you.) Obviously
limits the range of colours compared with the full ranges available in
'normal' paints and it might take a bit of experimentation.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, April 9, 2008 3:46:21 PM UTC+1, Paul Waites wrote:
Hi all,

I have a bad black mould problem and am going to have to redecorate
several rooms.... I have found some Dulux trade antifungal white
emulsion which will do the ceilings but would like to do something about
the walls. Does anyone know of an additive that could be added to
standard emulsions, or a treatment that would use to inhibit the return
of the mould. I've spent a lot of effort with mould cleaner and
scrubbing to remove it and I would like to keep it away as long as possible.

Thanks for any ideas,

Paul.

Try this one ; Silver Shield Antibacterial Paint Additive -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silver-Shiel.../dp/B00BIDCLLO

I used it for a similar problem over a year ago, and it hasn't returned. Fingers crossed !!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Paul Waites wrote:

I have a bad black mould problem. Does anyone know of an additive
that could be added to standard emulsions, or a treatment that
would use to inhibit the return of the mould.

Try this one
http://www.spamazon.co.uk/Pink-****e...-Spam-Additive

I used it for a similar problem over a year ago, and it hasn't returned. Fingers crossed !!

You *used* it? Strange that you also seem to *sell* it ... do we look daft?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2014 20:23, Andy Burns wrote:

You *used* it? Strange that you also seem to *sell* it ... do we look
daft?

But it has a 5 star review on Amazon - Oh... only 1 review, by someone
who manufactures it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
writes

spam snipped

Spam complaints sent to O2 online and Sky (just in case you've already
transferred).
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 1:56:10 PM UTC, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 9, 2008 3:46:21 PM UTC+1, Paul Waites wrote:

Hi all,
I have a bad black mould problem and am going to have to redecorate

several rooms.... I have found some Dulux trade antifungal white
emulsion which will do the ceilings but would like to do something about
the walls. Does anyone know of an additive that could be added to
standard emulsions, or a treatment that would use to inhibit the return
of the mould. I've spent a lot of effort with mould cleaner and
scrubbing to remove it and I would like to keep it away as long as possible.
Thanks for any ideas,
Paul.

Try this one ; Silver Shield Antibacterial Paint Additive -

spam snip
I used it for a similar problem over a year ago, and it hasn't returned. Fingers crossed !!

Not a bad idea in principle, but CuSO4, ZnSO4, borax, aspirin etc are a fraction the price.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 1:56:10 PM UTC, wrote:
Try this one ; Silver Shield Antibacterial Paint Additive -

Why would an antibacterial treatment help with mold (which is a fungus)?

To put this is context, fungi are more closely related to humans than
to bacteria.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, January 30, 2014 5:36:07 PM UTC, Martin Bonner wrote:
On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 1:56:10 PM UTC, wrote:
Try this one ; Silver Shield Antibacterial Paint Additive -

Why would an antibacterial treatment help with mold (which is a fungus)?
To put this is context, fungi are more closely related to humans than
to bacteria.

A fair few additives kill both, including silver if it is a silver compound.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, January 30, 2014 10:19:19 PM UTC, wrote:
On Thursday, January 30, 2014 5:36:07 PM UTC, Martin Bonner wrote:

Why would an antibacterial treatment help with mold (which is a fungus)?
To put this is context, fungi are more closely related to humans than
to bacteria.

A fair few additives kill both, including silver if it is a silver compound.

Well, yes. The trouble is that both fungi and bacteria are tough buggers
(as a general rule), so if it is effective against both it is probably
pretty toxic to *any* (terrestrial) cellular life form - including us.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, January 31, 2014 1:41:27 PM UTC, Martin Bonner wrote:
On Thursday, January 30, 2014 10:19:19 PM UTC, wrote:
On Thursday, January 30, 2014 5:36:07 PM UTC, Martin Bonner wrote:

Why would an antibacterial treatment help with mold (which is a fungus)?
To put this is context, fungi are more closely related to humans than
to bacteria.

A fair few additives kill both, including silver if it is a silver compound.

Well, yes. The trouble is that both fungi and bacteria are tough buggers
(as a general rule), so if it is effective against both it is probably
pretty toxic to *any* (terrestrial) cellular life form - including us.

Not really. Salicylic acid, zinc sulphate, copper sulphate, silver compounds etc.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, April 9, 2008 3:46:21 PM UTC+1, Paul Waites wrote:
Hi all,

I have a bad black mould problem and am going to have to redecorate
several rooms.... I have found some Dulux trade antifungal white
emulsion which will do the ceilings but would like to do something about
the walls. Does anyone know of an additive that could be added to
standard emulsions, or a treatment that would use to inhibit the return
of the mould. I've spent a lot of effort with mould cleaner and
scrubbing to remove it and I would like to keep it away as long as possible.

Thanks for any ideas,

Paul.

Add Silver Shield Antibacterial Paint Additive to your washable water based paint, and you will have permanently antibacterial painted walls. Silver Shield is concentrated and will last the lifetime of the paint. Completely harmless to humans but will kill 99.99% of all bacteria on contact. Add Silver Shield to any Acrylic gloss, Emulsion, interior or exterior wall paint, water based fence or decking stain/paint, tile grout or any other building material that you want to protect against mold or mildew - SILVER SHIELD WILL ELIMINATE MOLD AND WILL PERMANENTLY PREVENT BACTERIA, MOLD SPORES AND VIRUSES FROM MULTIPLYING, AND WILL LAST THE LIFETIME OF THE TREATED SURFACE - FOREVER. Add just 2ml per litre of paint or kilo of grout, mix very thoroughly to ensure even distribution. Silver Shield is colourless, odourless and completely safe for use in childrens rooms, hospitals, surgeries, food preparation areas, toilets etc. Silver Shield works, it has been thoroughly tried and tested, meets ISO 22196:2011 for hygiene. Silver Shield is completely inert to humans and animals, just billions of silver particles that when in contact with microbes will completely prevent them from reproducing, thus they will die out in small numbers before becoming unsightly and hazardous moldy patches. THIS 10ml DISPENSER IS ENOUGH FOR 5 litres of water based paint or 5 kilo's of grout.

I sell this product and have used it several times. Anyone who uses Silver Shield as instructed, has my personal personal guarantee that it works, if you look up silver ions, nano silver, or silver particles on any scientific report you will see the simple science behind how Silver Shield Antibacterial Paint Additive works.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/2014 07:53, wrote:

[...]

Be aware that harry has given this a five star review on amazon so its
probably wrong.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/I sell this product and have used it several times. Anyone who uses Silver Shield as instructed, has my personal personal guarantee that it works, if y..../q

Does it still come with matching foil hat and underwear?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , alan_m
writes

Why not just make your own aditive?
http://www.bigclive.com/silver.htm

Well there's a first, useful info arising from 6yr old thread
resurrection spam.

You gotta love Big Clive, he's up to all sorts of interesting stuff.
Careful attention to soldering required so as to avoid creating your own
lead rich drink :-)

I certainly will be avoiding that Silver Shield crap like the plague.

Thanks for the link.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dennis@home" wrote in message
web.com...
On 13/12/2014 07:53, wrote:

[...]

Bollix.
I never buy anything off the internet.
Or do anything with money.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

[...]

The above is bollix.
You have a damp problem that needs to be eliminated.. (Probably
condensation.)
Probably by ventilation, at source is best. (extractor fans in
showers/cooker hoods. etc.)
You might want to look at the house insulation in general too.

To get rid of the black mould, you can buy an algicide from any builders
merchant.
Or even bleach. Some algicides are persistent (hence lastlonger)
Then redecorate. using anti fungal paint is good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain wrote
Dennis@home wrote
wrote
Paul Waites wrote

[...]

Your sig is sposed to be last, with a line with just -- on it in front of
it.

I never buy anything off the internet.

More fool you.

Or do anything with money.

More fool you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/2014 09:06, alan_m wrote:
On 13/12/2014 08:15, Dennis@home wrote:
On 13/12/2014 07:53, wrote:

I sell this product and have used it several times. Anyone who uses
Silver Shield as instructed, has my personal personal guarantee that
it works, if you look up silver ions, nano silver, or silver
particles on any scientific report you will see the simple science
behind how Silver Shield Antibacterial Paint Additive works.

Be aware that harry has given this a five star review on amazon so its
probably wrong.

Why not just make your own aditive?
http://www.bigclive.com/silver.htm

Used as directed it can produce some "intersting" (Chinese usage)
effects - see agryia. Used to be an uncommmon industrial disease of
silver miners and workers who were insufficiently respectful of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argyria

Now it is appearing in New Age worried well health freaks!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/2014 07:53, wrote:

I sell this product and have used it several times. Anyone who uses
Silver Shield as instructed, has my personal personal guarantee that
it works, if you look up silver ions, nano silver, or silver
particles on any scientific report you will see the simple science
behind how Silver Shield Antibacterial Paint Additive works.

Be aware that harry has given this a five star review on amazon so its
probably wrong.

Why not just make your own aditive?
http://www.bigclive.com/silver.htm

Used as directed it can produce some "intersting" (Chinese usage)
effects - see agryia. Used to be an uncommmon industrial disease of
silver miners and workers who were insufficiently respectful of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argyria

Now it is appearing in New Age worried well health freaks!

The rare incidence of argyria makes it one of the safest bug killers on the planet.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, December 13, 2014 8:15:19 AM UTC, Dennis@home wrote:
3 of 4 people found the following review helpful
Good product if it works, quick delivery.
By Trevor on 24 Sep 2014
Verified Purchase
Quick delivery and I've now added this product to internal bathroom and bedroom ceilings, bedroom walls and outside walls mixed in with Dulux WeatherShield. Only time will tell if it works OK, hope to add post by December on inside walls and ceilings as we'd normally experience mould by that time of year.

What's really good about this product, (if it works), is that you can mix it with any colour paint whereas the Ronseal anti-mould paint only comes in white as far as I'm aware, and the Dulux bathroom products with it built it are a bit pricey.
1 Comment Was this review helpful to you?
Yes
No
1 of 2 people found the following review helpful
fingers crossed
By Mr. M. Reynolds on 14 May 2014
Verified Purchase
Quick delivery, easy to mix with paint, hard to say about effectiveness, only time will tell. "Fingers crossed" it works
Comment Was this review helpful to you?
Yes
No
1 of 2 people found the following review helpful
Easy to use
By patricia durnan on 3 July 2014
Quick delivery. Easy to use. Time will tell if works.
Comment Was this review helpful to you?
Yes
No
See all 3 customer reviews (newest first)
On 13/12/2014 07:53, wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/2014 07:53, wrote:

[...]

4 of 5 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Anti Bacterial Paint costs about £80 for 5 litres........, 1 Mar 2013
By Mr. Harry Palmer "Kitchen Painter" (West London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silver Shield Antibacterial Paint Additive (Misc.)
All of the big paint makers sell an antibacterial paint. Many of them, all fully tested contain zillions of "Silver Ions". Silver has been used for centuries to protect from bacteria, the Egyptians stored water in silver containers to prevent algie and contamination. Cowboys in the Texas cattle ranches used to put Silver Dollars into the water barrels to keep the water fresh. They didn't know why it worked, it just did.
To buy paint with a silver content that will kill almost all bacteria and virus incuding MRSA, E-Coli and others, in fact more than 99.99% of germs that come into contact with the painted surface, will cost around £80 for a 5 litre can, the same paint without the silver ion content is about half the price.
Other manufacturers, non-brand names such as DIY store "own brands" only cost about £15 to £20 pounds for 5 litres. Many are very good paints, washable, nice colours and coat well with only one or two coats.
You can convert this "cheaper" paint into Antibacterial Paint by adding Silver Shield Antibacterial Paint Additive, it's colourless, easy to mix in and concentrated to match or outperform even the most expensive brands. For under £15 including P&P for the additive and £20 for the paint you'll have top quality antibacterial paint of your choice for only about £35. that's well under half price !! Happy decorating.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No
Report abuse | Permalink
Comment Comment

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars does what it says., 7 May 2014
By Mick B. - See all my reviews
Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: Silver Shield Antibacterial Paint Additive (Misc.)
Kept mould at bay up to now. Was easy to mix into existing farrow and ball paint to touch up affected areas.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No
Report abuse | Permalink
Comment Comment

Posted to uk.d-i-y

/By Mr. Harry Palmer "Kitchen Painter" (West London) -/q

Snip bull**** spam

2 minute Google

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/pdp/profi...=cm_cr_rdp_pdp

Come on martin ffs.

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, December 19, 2014 10:19:01 AM UTC, wrote:

Good product if it works

lol

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 20 August 2015 14:03:54 UTC+1, wrote:
On Wednesday, 9 April 2008 15:46:21 UTC+1, Paul Waites wrote:
Hi all,

I have a bad black mould problem and am going to have to redecorate
several rooms.... I have found some Dulux trade antifungal white
emulsion which will do the ceilings but would like to do something about
the walls. Does anyone know of an additive that could be added to
standard emulsions, or a treatment that would use to inhibit the return
of the mould. I've spent a lot of effort with mould cleaner and
scrubbing to remove it and I would like to keep it away as long as possible.

Thanks for any ideas,

Paul.

Does anyone know if you can add the anti-fungus/ mold additives to a mist coat on new plaster and then paint over it with normal emulsion?

why not?

also a lot of the data sheets for the additives have severe health warnings - are they safe?

which additives? I use aspirin, but you can also use copper compounds, zinc compounds etc

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well if they were always safe they would not have warnings, or did I miss
something. I was told at Racal where a lot of such paints were used, not to
store the painted articles in a closed, ie unventilated area due to a
possible build up of toxic fumes. What I never quite understood was if this
reall was the case, how on earth did the paint always appear dry, and was
there therefore a bottomless pit of the chemical in there, unlikely.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is there a silver shield product for resin or oil based paint?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...esistant_Paint

anti mould paint benpost UK diy 2 February 16th 08 10:39 PM
anti condensation paint Andrew UK diy 1 February 21st 06 02:27 PM
anti condensation paint Andrew UK diy 0 February 21st 06 02:08 PM
Thermilate - insulating additive for paint Tony UK diy 3 October 13th 03 02:04 PM
Coolant anti fungal agents TLKALLAM8 Metalworking 5 September 26th 03 05:57 PM