Tony

Default Thermilate - insulating additive for paint

Anyone any experience of using stuff like Thermilate
(www.thermilate.com) - an additive for paint that provides a significant
insulation effect, or so it is claimed?

Any comments on its likely effectiveness / likely problems?

thanks
tony

Michael Mcneil

"Tony" wrote in message

Anyone any experience of using stuff like Thermilate
(www.thermilate.com) - an additive for paint that provides a significant
insulation effect, or so it is claimed?

Any comments on its likely effectiveness / likely problems?

What exactly are you using it for? If you are intending to go into an
environment where all the heat gained and lost will be through radiation
when your rocket engines are not involved, use it by all means. I
imagine silver paint would be just as effective otherwise.

Most reflective paints will return radiation, white paint being the best
at it but what you are likely to lose in a room is minimal to say the
least. With all the European directives and all the architectural
standards we have in the UK I should imagine that such a product would
be widely used by now if it was worth the bother. I don't know how good
it is but it wasn't enough to cope without the mass and volume added to
the last space shuttle so disasterously, was it?

So... are you selling it or what?

Tony

Michael Mcneil wrote:

"Tony" wrote in message

[...]

You cynic you! No, I live in a house with walls made of two skins of
stone with a rubble infill. The inside faces of the external walls are
either exposed stone or rough plastered and they're both cold. I just
wondered whether this product had any mileage for me. I take your point
about the product not being widely used...
tony

Andy R

"Tony" wrote in message
Anyone any experience of using stuff like Thermilate
(www.thermilate.com) - an additive for paint that provides a significant
insulation effect, or so it is claimed?

It claims to keep the heat in by reflecting radiated heat back and providing
an insulating layer of hollow beads embedded in the paint. You're bound to
notice the slightly bumpy finish to the paint when it's done and I wonder
how effective a 1mm thick barrier of hollow beads can be at insulating.
Having said that it's not a lot of money and I might be tempted to try it in
a small room.

Rgds

Andy R