Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default anti fungal paint additive

Paul Waites wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
Paul Waites writes:
Hi all,

I have a bad black mould problem and am going to have to redecorate
several rooms.... I have found some Dulux trade antifungal white
emulsion which will do the ceilings but would like to do something
about
the walls. Does anyone know of an additive that could be added to
standard emulsions, or a treatment that would use to inhibit the return
of the mould. I've spent a lot of effort with mould cleaner and
scrubbing to remove it and I would like to keep it away as long as
possible.
That's the wrong fix. You need to find out why it's forming and
cure the cause. Most likely it's condensation, caused by poor
ventilation and/or excessive moisture production and/or uneven
heating and/or poor insulation.

Yes, find the cause and deal with it.

Mary

Hi all,

Yes we have dealt with the cause, as you say it is condensation. The
concrete floors have been sealed, polystyrene added to the external
walls, and extra air bricks added... The thing is that once you've got
the spores they come back... The ceilings are artex so it is a sod to
clean once the mould comes back... Even to a small degree so I want to
finish things off with paint that may discourage the mould as some small
amounts of condensation does return.

Paul.

Glad you have actually done the sensible thing.

I assume that this special Dulux paint is only available in white? If
that is the problem, you could always use the same but add pigments as
needed. Not sure what is availabkle where but I have seen some suitable
pigments in some of the sheds. (It is not entirely impossible that a
paint shop might use their colour mixer facility to help you.) Obviously
limits the range of colours compared with the full ranges available in
'normal' paints and it might take a bit of experimentation.

--
Rod

onset.