TLKALLAM8

Default Coolant anti fungal agents

I bought some from travlers,and the label said if you get in your eye permanet
eye will result. I took the stuff back and got a refund.Not worth the risk.
Gunner

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 20:01:21 -0400, Robert Salasidis
wrote:

I am using a synthetic coolant, and I am getting a fungal growth in
the coolant tank. It has no odor, but the main problem is clogging of
nozzles.

I use a skimmer to remove any machine oil that mixes with the coolant.

My question is, how safe is using Grotan or Arch triadine 20 (both
Rustlick products).

My machine has an open top, and misting can often occur.

The MSDS lists many precautions, but mostly for direct contact with
the pure un diluted liquid.

Does anyone have any experience/suggestions

Thanks

Drop a fish tank areation stone into the coolant tank and hook up a
small air pump. The bacteria is anerobic, and if you oxygenate the
coolant, the bugs die. Very common practice in machine shops.

Gunner

"Anyone who cannot cope with firearms is not fully human. At best he
is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and not
make messes in the house."
With appologies to RAH..
Karl Townsend

Drop a fish tank areation stone into the coolant tank and hook up a
small air pump. The bacteria is anerobic, and if you oxygenate the
coolant, the bugs die. Very common practice in machine shops.

Gunner

Here's One of those "Gold Nuggets" that I read this NG for. Every now and
then you get something extremely useful that you'd never think of yourself.
Thanks Gunner.

Now, is a regulator off the compressed air line set to 5 PSI just as good as
a special air pump? Or should I buy something like an aquarium air pump?

Karl

Gunner

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 15:29:53 GMT, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

Drop a fish tank areation stone into the coolant tank and hook up a
small air pump. The bacteria is anerobic, and if you oxygenate the
coolant, the bugs die. Very common practice in machine shops.

Gunner

Here's One of those "Gold Nuggets" that I read this NG for. Every now and
then you get something extremely useful that you'd never think of yourself.
Thanks Gunner.

Now, is a regulator off the compressed air line set to 5 PSI just as good as
a special air pump? Or should I buy something like an aquarium air pump?

Karl

Air is air. G Myl Toilet water tank has an air stone and aquarium
pump I picked up at the Goodwill for $1..but use what ya got. G

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third
hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're
around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right
before demode` (out of fashion).
-Buddy Jordan 2001
Robert Salasidis

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 03:14:42 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

The problem however appears to be fungal - as opposed to anearobic
bacteria.

Anearobes should smell - this has absolutely no smell - just a gouey
thick slime that sticks to the walls, and if it gets suctioned up by
the pump clogs my filters.

Would aeration work for this as well?

wrote:

[...]

Gunner

wrote:

The problem however appears to be fungal - as opposed to anearobic
bacteria.

Anearobes should smell - this has absolutely no smell - just a gouey
thick slime that sticks to the walls, and if it gets suctioned up by
the pump clogs my filters.

Would aeration work for this as well?

A lot of time, it will, or so Im told. Another trick, is to every 6
months or so, drop in one of those clorine "hocky pucks", that you
purchase for your swimming pool.

There has been some talk about that free clorine bonding with some
metals, but Im not familiar with the problem metals or the process.

I do this regularly in the summer months with my evaporative coolers
(swamp coolers) also.