Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can anyone identify these chrome pipes (plumbing ?)

I believe the two chrome pipes in the photo are used in plumbing.

They are 1 1/4" (32mm) diameter and around 6" long. The flange at the
end slips over pipe with the same diameter (1 1/4) and I believe they
have a thread at the flange end which has been cut off for use in the
application shown. I am advised these pipes may be some under sink joint
of some type.

Please ignore the 45 degree cut at the end these has been cut this way
for the present use (motorcycle exhaust extensions) which are home made.

Photo he http://tinyurl.com/2vjoy8

Martyn

~~~~~~~~~remove the holyman to reply directly~~~~~~~~
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Count de Monet" wrote in message
I believe the two chrome pipes in the photo are used in plumbing.

They are 1 1/4" (32mm) diameter and around 6" long. The flange at the end
slips over pipe with the same diameter (1 1/4) and I believe they have a
thread at the flange end which has been cut off for use in the application
shown. I am advised these pipes may be some under sink joint of some type.

Please ignore the 45 degree cut at the end these has been cut this way for
the present use (motorcycle exhaust extensions) which are home made.

Photo he http://tinyurl.com/2vjoy8

Are you sure they are chromed? It is a brittle metal and difficult to cut
without flaking. The lack of corrosion inside or.on the cut end and the
colour make it look more like polished stainless steel to me.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Are you sure they are chromed? It is a brittle metal and difficult to cut
without flaking. The lack of corrosion inside or.on the cut end and the
colour make it look more like polished stainless steel to me.

Colin Bignell

Extension Tubes Brass - Slip Joint Chrome Plated - 22 Gauge - Carded
Size Ins.=1-1/4 X 6

http://www.doityourself.com/invt/0922245
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Count de Monet" wrote in message

Are you sure they are chromed? It is a brittle metal and difficult to cut
without flaking. The lack of corrosion inside or.on the cut end and the
colour make it look more like polished stainless steel to me.

Colin Bignell

Extension Tubes Brass - Slip Joint Chrome Plated - 22 Gauge - Carded Size
Ins.=1-1/4 X 6

http://www.doityourself.com/invt/0922245

My question, based upon several decades of working with chrome plated brass
and with stainless steel, was whether the original pipes in the picture were
really chrome plated, not whether you could find something that looks like
them that was.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

nightjar cpb@ wrote:

My question, based upon several decades of working with chrome plated brass
and with stainless steel, was whether the original pipes in the picture were
really chrome plated, not whether you could find something that looks like
them that was.

Colin Bignell

http://silverwing.org/cgi-bin/topic_show.pl?tid=1631

Please see the forth thread from the top by 'Thomphoto'

Quote 'The soft brass is a breeze to cut.'

To answer my original question goes anyone know where I can buy these in
the UK (plated brass OR stainless steel)

Martyn

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Count de Monet
writes
nightjar cpb@ wrote:

My question, based upon several decades of working with chrome
plated brass and with stainless steel, was whether the original pipes
the picture were really chrome plated, not whether you could find
something that looks like them that was.
Colin Bignell

http://silverwing.org/cgi-bin/topic_show.pl?tid=1631

That's not a bike, it's a scooter

it belongs in a skip

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://silverwing.org/cgi-bin/topic_show.pl?tid=1631

That's not a bike, it's a scooter

it belongs in a skip

So? what you got?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Count de Monet
writes

http://silverwing.org/cgi-bin/topic_show.pl?tid=1631

That's not a bike, it's a scooter
it belongs in a skip

So? what you got?

Fireblade

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

So? what you got?

Fireblade

Ahhh Big bike, small............ er ...........screen

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Count de Monet
writes
geoff wrote:

So? what you got?

Fireblade

Ahhh Big bike, small............ er ...........screen

no, just a bike

Being somewhat on the heavy side, I need a good few hp to actually move
forwards

.... and to **** off scooterbois

Eh dave ???

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Count de Monet" wrote in message
To answer my original question goes anyone know where I can buy these in
the UK (plated brass OR stainless steel)

The d-i-y way would be to buy a length of 35mm copper pipe from a plumbing
supplier, do any work you need to make it fit, polish it well, then get it
plated, although you might need to search around for platers who still do a
decent job of chrome. The finish will be better and you won't have any cut
edges showing. Most metal stockists should be able to supply you with a bit
of stainless steel tube of the right size, if you prefer that, but some
people find it difficult to work.

Colin Bignell