Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plumbing - can anyone identify what this is?

I've recently moved into a flat which has the following under
the sink - can anyone tell me what it is? :

http://darq.net/~kaneda/sink/1.jpg
http://darq.net/~kaneda/sink/2.jpg

(The pipe on the right leads to the sink waste).

There is an earthy/stale/cabbage smell coming from it. Have tried
bleaching it but the smell comes back.

Any advice appreciated.

cheers,
Trenton
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://darq.net/~kaneda/sink/1.jpght...eda/sink/2.jpg

(The pipe on the right leads to the sink waste).

There is an earthy/stale/cabbage smell coming from it. Have tried
bleaching it but the smell comes back.

Any advice appreciated.

cheers,
Trenton

Yes, it's an air admitance valve (AAV). It allows back pressure in the
soil pipe to be released, and is an alternative to a vent to the
outside in some situations.

It's probably blocked. You can get a new one from any plumbers
merchants. About GBP15.

Jon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

trenton weir wrote:
I've recently moved into a flat which has the following under
the sink - can anyone tell me what it is? :

http://darq.net/~kaneda/sink/1.jpg
http://darq.net/~kaneda/sink/2.jpg

(The pipe on the right leads to the sink waste).

There is an earthy/stale/cabbage smell coming from it. Have tried
bleaching it but the smell comes back.

Any advice appreciated.

cheers,
Trenton

It looks like a vent for the soil stack to me... Even if it is allowed,
I wouldnt fancy one under my kitchen sink!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"gerry" wrote in message
trenton weir wrote:
I've recently moved into a flat which has the following under
the sink - can anyone tell me what it is? :

http://darq.net/~kaneda/sink/1.jpg
http://darq.net/~kaneda/sink/2.jpg

(The pipe on the right leads to the sink waste).

There is an earthy/stale/cabbage smell coming from it. Have tried
bleaching it but the smell comes back.

Any advice appreciated.

cheers,
Trenton

It looks like a vent for the soil stack to me... Even if it is allowed, I
wouldnt fancy one under my kitchen sink!

Why? They are absolutely fine if working properly. This one clearly
doesn't (it should not allow smell to come out) - it has a one-way membrane
in it which that only allow air in one direction (into the soli pipe, and
not out).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tournifreak" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 4 Oct, 13:43, trenton weir wrote:
I've recently moved into a flat which has the following under
the sink - can anyone tell me what it is? :

http://darq.net/~kaneda/sink/1.jpght...eda/sink/2.jpg

(The pipe on the right leads to the sink waste).

There is an earthy/stale/cabbage smell coming from it. Have tried
bleaching it but the smell comes back.

Any advice appreciated.

cheers,
Trenton

Yes, it's an air admitance valve (AAV). It allows back pressure in the
soil pipe to be released, and is an alternative to a vent to the
outside in some situations.

It's probably blocked. You can get a new one from any plumbers
merchants. About GBP15.

ITYM it relieves any partial vacuum in the soil pipe by admitting air. It
shouldn't release pressure in the soil pipe! CUrrently it probably is though
(

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 14:19:59 +0100, "JoeJoe" wrote:

"gerry" wrote in message
trenton weir wrote:
I've recently moved into a flat which has the following under
the sink - can anyone tell me what it is? :

http://darq.net/~kaneda/sink/1.jpg
http://darq.net/~kaneda/sink/2.jpg

(The pipe on the right leads to the sink waste).

There is an earthy/stale/cabbage smell coming from it. Have tried
bleaching it but the smell comes back.

Any advice appreciated.

cheers,
Trenton

It looks like a vent for the soil stack to me... Even if it is allowed, I
wouldnt fancy one under my kitchen sink!

Why? They are absolutely fine if working properly. This one clearly
doesn't (it should not allow smell to come out) - it has a one-way membrane
in it which that only allow air in one direction (into the soli pipe, and
not out).

Remember that it's supposed to be fitted above the flood level of the
appliances feeding it, for example above the overflow level of a sink.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:
"gerry" wrote in message
trenton weir wrote:
I've recently moved into a flat which has the following under
the sink - can anyone tell me what it is? :

http://darq.net/~kaneda/sink/1.jpg
http://darq.net/~kaneda/sink/2.jpg

(The pipe on the right leads to the sink waste).

There is an earthy/stale/cabbage smell coming from it. Have tried
bleaching it but the smell comes back.

Any advice appreciated.

cheers,
Trenton

It looks like a vent for the soil stack to me... Even if it is allowed, I
wouldnt fancy one under my kitchen sink!

Why? They are absolutely fine if working properly. This one clearly
doesn't (it should not allow smell to come out) - it has a one-way membrane
in it which that only allow air in one direction (into the soli pipe, and
not out).

Why? The words 'if' and 'should' when it comes to whether I am going to
smell poo in my kitchen or not are my main reasons. I do appreciate that
there may be situations where this arrangement is the only choice but if
it was my install I would only have it as a last resort.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"gerry" wrote in message
JoeJoe wrote:
"gerry" wrote in message
trenton weir wrote:
[...]

Fair enough - I agree. I have done up several flats with internal kitchens
over the last couple years where this was the only solution available whic
is why I am probably pretty used to the idea.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
Why? The words 'if' and 'should' when it comes to whether I am going to
smell poo in my kitchen or not are my main reasons. I do appreciate that
there may be situations where this arrangement is the only choice but if
it was my install I would only have it as a last resort.

Fair enough - I agree. I have done up several flats with internal kitchens
over the last couple years where this was the only solution available whic
is why I am probably pretty used to the idea.

Couldn't agree more,the thought or arrangment of having a **** pipe in the
kitchen is not on.
On saying that I've just had one removed out of my kitchen even though it
was boxed in,if there is no other option which I find is hard to believe
then fine but if it can go outside then thats the place and only place it
should be.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 12:43:17 +0000, trenton weir wrote:

I've recently moved into a flat which has the following under
the sink - can anyone tell me what it is? :

http://darq.net/~kaneda/sink/1.jpg
http://darq.net/~kaneda/sink/2.jpg

(The pipe on the right leads to the sink waste).

There is an earthy/stale/cabbage smell coming from it. Have tried
bleaching it but the smell comes back.

Any advice appreciated.

cheers,
Trenton

As others have said this is an air admittance valve.
Very likely it's failed and is letting out air and smells.

AAVs are not allowed on the most upstream soil stack.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-04 19:05:28 +0100, Ed Sirett said:

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 12:43:17 +0000, trenton weir wrote:

I've recently moved into a flat which has the following under
the sink - can anyone tell me what it is? :

http://darq.net/~kaneda/sink/1.jpg
http://darq.net/~kaneda/sink/2.jpg

(The pipe on the right leads to the sink waste).

There is an earthy/stale/cabbage smell coming from it. Have tried
bleaching it but the smell comes back.

Any advice appreciated.

cheers,
Trenton

As others have said this is an air admittance valve.
Very likely it's failed and is letting out air and smells.

AAVs are not allowed on the most upstream soil stack.

I don't follow. Why not on the most upstream?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 19:29:02 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

As others have said this is an air admittance valve.
Very likely it's failed and is letting out air and smells.

AAVs are not allowed on the most upstream soil stack.

I don't follow. Why not on the most upstream?

Yes indeedy, I've got one on my one and only soil stack that was
originally boxed in in the bathatorium. Is this OK ?

It got truncated when the bathatorium was re-worked into a
showeratorium and is now terminated with a durgo valve under the
worktop next to the wash basin.

Occasional damp / foul smells permeate the showeratorium. Seemingly if
the door has been closed for a few hours. However I can not eliminate
the possibility that leaks from ultra crappy quailty chinese basin
waste remote controlled plug mechanism are not encouraging the crappy
quality cabinets (Apparently made of veneered weetabix) to rot away.

It's 38 years since the Niel Armstrong got out of his spaceship on the
moon, and we are living like this.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 21:42:34 +0100, Owain
wrote:

Derek Geldard wrote:
Occasional damp / foul smells permeate the showeratorium. Seemingly if
the door has been closed for a few hours. However I can not eliminate
the possibility that leaks from ultra crappy quailty chinese basin
waste remote controlled plug mechanism are not encouraging the crappy
quality cabinets (Apparently made of veneered weetabix) to rot away.
It's 38 years since the Niel Armstrong got out of his spaceship on the
moon, and we are living like this.

Maybe if you'd spent as much on the showeratorium as NASA spent on
Neil's spaceship, you'd have got something better than veneered weetabix.

I spent more than enough, the contractor didn't ask for more. Now I
simply want it to work. It looks like it's myself that will have to
make it work which is what makes it a uk.d-i-y issue.

Or maybe it just wouldn't have fitted because they'd confused inches and
cms.

Yebbut that would have been their problem.

As it stands (or falls !) I'm stuck with it :-((

And it is built of very ordinary components/materials. Which makes me
wonder do these Durgo valves fail a lot in such a condition that
they admit smells into the room ?

Owain

DG ( gOwain away if the smell doesn't)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-04, Ed Sirett wrote:
On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 12:43:17 +0000, trenton weir wrote:

I've recently moved into a flat which has the following under
the sink - can anyone tell me what it is? :

As others have said this is an air admittance valve.
Very likely it's failed and is letting out air and smells.

AAVs are not allowed on the most upstream soil stack.

Thanks to all for your help. Sounds like I should get on
to the letting agent for a plumber, rather than fiddle about
with it myself.

cheers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-04, Ed Sirett wrote:
On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 12:43:17 +0000, trenton weir wrote:

I've recently moved into a flat which has the following under
the sink - can anyone tell me what it is? :

As others have said this is an air admittance valve.
Very likely it's failed and is letting out air and smells.

AAVs are not allowed on the most upstream soil stack.

Thanks to all for your help. Sounds like I should get on
to the letting agent for a plumber, rather than fiddle about
with it myself.

cheers.

If it's a rented place why would you touch it anyway?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-04 19:05:28 +0100, Ed Sirett said:

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 12:43:17 +0000, trenton weir wrote:

I've recently moved into a flat which has the following under
the sink - can anyone tell me what it is? :

http://darq.net/~kaneda/sink/1.jpg
http://darq.net/~kaneda/sink/2.jpg

(The pipe on the right leads to the sink waste).

There is an earthy/stale/cabbage smell coming from it. Have tried
bleaching it but the smell comes back.

Any advice appreciated.

cheers,
Trenton

As others have said this is an air admittance valve.
Very likely it's failed and is letting out air and smells.

AAVs are not allowed on the most upstream soil stack.

I don't follow. Why not on the most upstream?

This was the rules as given to me by a BCO. He seemed a reasonable chap
and not one to gold plate the regs. Apparently the most upstream
inspection chamber must be open vented via at least one soil stack . There
is no reason not to use AAVs on other soil stacks even ones that go to
to the same chamber.

He also said that the common practice of dropping grey water into a hopper
and then into a downpipe was also wrong. I pointed out that there must be
5 million houses in the UK that do that and asked when did this rule come
in. He said it was it was lack of enforcement at the time the rule was
there in the 1930s.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-04 19:05:28 +0100, Ed Sirett said:

AAVs are not allowed on the most upstream soil stack.

I don't follow. Why not on the most upstream?

This was the rules as given to me by a BCO. He seemed a reasonable chap
and not one to gold plate the regs. Apparently the most upstream
inspection chamber must be open vented via at least one soil stack . There
is no reason not to use AAVs on other soil stacks even ones that go to
to the same chamber.

Ah, yes, now I think about it, one would want something to vent lighter
than air potentially explosive gases

He also said that the common practice of dropping grey water into a hopper
and then into a downpipe was also wrong. I pointed out that there must be
5 million houses in the UK that do that and asked when did this rule come
in. He said it was it was lack of enforcement at the time the rule was
there in the 1930s.

Meaning soil stack or rainwater downpipe?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-04 19:05:28 +0100, Ed Sirett said:

[...]

Both, but the level of compliance on the latter is very poor.

He also mentioned that the grey water wastes that discharge into a
gulley must go down through a gulley grid, and exit above the water
level in the gulley trap. There must be 10 million homes which breach that
one!

Another BCO but who I think gold plates the rules said the
shower waste had to go direct to the soil stack - that's got to be over
the top.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-05 23:14:22 +0100, Ed Sirett said:

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 15:49:09 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

Meaning soil stack or rainwater downpipe?

Both, but the level of compliance on the latter is very poor.

I was under the impression that before a certain date, it was common
practice to combine surface and foul drains or was the point that they
should be separate above ground regardless of what happens below?

He also mentioned that the grey water wastes that discharge into a
gulley must go down through a gulley grid, and exit above the water
level in the gulley trap. There must be 10 million homes which breach that
one!

Several houses that I've lived in in the past had the exterior hopper
and downpipe arrangement but it always fed into a gulley.

Another BCO but who I think gold plates the rules said the
shower waste had to go direct to the soil stack - that's got to be over
the top.

I don't see the logic of that one. Pehaps that he thinks that
people **** in the shower but not in the bath.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-04 19:05:28 +0100, Ed Sirett said:

[...]

I am not sure that is the case. As far as I can recalll you merely need
one open pipe per 50 meters or something of drain, to vent positive
pressure.

Air valves can be then added wherever neded to prevent siphoning.

He also said that the common practice of dropping grey water into a hopper
and then into a downpipe was also wrong. I pointed out that there must be
5 million houses in the UK that do that and asked when did this rule come
in. He said it was it was lack of enforcement at the time the rule was
there in the 1930s.

Well my parents house in 1953 had exactly that arrangement.

BCO's can be surprisingly ignorant.

Mine was not aware that

- if you use guttering you must comply, but there is no requirement to
use guttering at all! Merely that there mus be wome means of stopping
water getting onto your walls..

- you don't need safety glass in a multi-paned French window (leaded)
and indeed, it can't be realistically cut that small either.

In every case the regulations section begins with a 'statement of
objective'. Whilst suggested methods of achieving those are outlined,
often in detail, in the final analysis, you can appeal to the spirit of
the regulations. It is up to you to demonstrate that your solution
achieves the OBJECTIVES.

In the case of drains, these are a sufficient flow rate to keep them
running freely, a provision to prevent build up of noxious and
combustible gases, and a provision to prevent these gases from appearing
inside the dwelling.

Any combination of slopes and pipe diameters and vents and u-bends and
traps and durgo valves that achieves this 'meets the regulations'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-05 23:14:22 +0100, Ed Sirett said:

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 15:49:09 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

Meaning soil stack or rainwater downpipe?

Both, but the level of compliance on the latter is very poor.

I was under the impression that before a certain date, it was common
practice to combine surface and foul drains or was the point that they
should be separate above ground regardless of what happens below?

It's not about separation of the drainage but making sure that grey water
goes directly to below the gully cover and not via hoppers,
downpipes, shoes and the gulley grating.

He also mentioned that the grey water wastes that discharge into a
gulley must go down through a gulley grid, and exit above the water
level in the gulley trap. There must be 10 million homes which breach that
one!

Several houses that I've lived in in the past had the exterior hopper
and downpipe arrangement but it always fed into a gulley.

As I said 50% of buildings must be non-compliant.

Another BCO but who I think gold plates the rules said the
shower waste had to go direct to the soil stack - that's got to be over
the top.

I don't see the logic of that one. Pehaps that he thinks that
people **** in the shower but not in the bath.

She probably does (in regard to both verbs).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-04 19:05:28 +0100, Ed Sirett said:

[...]

That's a most useful commentary on the regs. Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tournifreak" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 4 Oct, 13:43, trenton weir wrote:
I've recently moved into a flat which has the following under
the sink - can anyone tell me what it is? :

http://darq.net/~kaneda/sink/1.jpght...eda/sink/2.jpg

(The pipe on the right leads to the sink waste).

There is an earthy/stale/cabbage smell coming from it. Have tried
bleaching it but the smell comes back.

Any advice appreciated.

cheers,
Trenton

Yes, it's an air admitance valve (AAV). It allows back pressure in the
soil pipe to be released, and is an alternative to a vent to the
outside in some situations.

It's probably blocked. You can get a new one from any plumbers
merchants. About GBP15.

The AAV is too low it must be above the highest point were water drains
from. It needs to be extended, or on each sanitary appliance fit a dry
HepVO trap, which are AAVs in themselves.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"trenton weir" wrote in message
.. .
I've recently moved into a flat which has the following under
the sink - can anyone tell me what it is? :

http://darq.net/~kaneda/sink/1.jpg
http://darq.net/~kaneda/sink/2.jpg

(The pipe on the right leads to the sink waste).

There is an earthy/stale/cabbage smell coming from it. Have tried
bleaching it but the smell comes back.

Cap it off using an inspection cap, so the drain can be cleaned. Then fit a
HepVo trap on the sink.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JoeJoe" wrote in message

"gerry" wrote in message
JoeJoe wrote:
"gerry" wrote in message
trenton weir wrote:
[...]

Learn about HepVo traps.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-04 19:05:28 +0100, Ed Sirett said:

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 12:43:17 +0000, trenton weir wrote:

I've recently moved into a flat which has the following under
the sink - can anyone tell me what it is? :

http://darq.net/~kaneda/sink/1.jpg
http://darq.net/~kaneda/sink/2.jpg

(The pipe on the right leads to the sink waste).

There is an earthy/stale/cabbage smell coming from it. Have tried
bleaching it but the smell comes back.

Any advice appreciated.

cheers,
Trenton

As others have said this is an air admittance valve.
Very likely it's failed and is letting out air and smells.

AAVs are not allowed on the most upstream soil stack.

I don't follow. Why not on the most upstream?

Must be open vented and every 5th house vented too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 14:21:56 +0000 (UTC) Ed Sirett wrote :
He also said that the common practice of dropping grey water into a hopper
and then into a downpipe was also wrong. I pointed out that there must be
5 million houses in the UK that do that and asked when did this rule come
in. He said it was it was lack of enforcement at the time the rule was
there in the 1930s.

No, pre-war I am fairly sure that the byelaws prohibited single stack
drainage, basins, baths and sinks being required to discharge via a gulley.
From 1965 the [then] new Building Regulations required all waste pipework to
be inside, effectively requiring single stack drainage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"trenton weir" wrote in message
.. .
I've recently moved into a flat which has the following under
the sink - can anyone tell me what it is? :

http://darq.net/~kaneda/sink/1.jpg
http://darq.net/~kaneda/sink/2.jpg

(The pipe on the right leads to the sink waste).

There is an earthy/stale/cabbage smell coming from it. Have tried
bleaching it but the smell comes back.

Cap it off using an inspection cap, so the drain can be cleaned. Then fit

HepVo trap on the sink.

Bad advice to cap off. Think before giving advice, could cause more
problems.
Probably comes up in 4" for a reason. Could be a tee off from a toilet waste
for instance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Heliotrope Smith" wrote in message

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"trenton weir" wrote in message
.. .
I've recently moved into a flat which has the following under
the sink - can anyone tell me what it is? :

http://darq.net/~kaneda/sink/1.jpg
http://darq.net/~kaneda/sink/2.jpg

(The pipe on the right leads to the sink waste).

There is an earthy/stale/cabbage smell coming from it. Have tried
bleaching it but the smell comes back.

Cap it off using an inspection cap, so the drain can be cleaned. Then
fit

HepVo trap on the sink.

Bad advice to cap off. Think before giving advice, could cause more
problems.
Probably comes up in 4" for a reason. Could be a tee off from a toilet
waste
for instance.

I was under the impression that all that was on the stack was the kitchen
sink.