Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Help needed to identify plumbing connections

I am trying to identify the connections on top of a plate heat exchanger - I
have some photos which I can send anyone who might know, with dimensions.
I have Googled but to no avail.

There are four, push-on fittings, each approx. one inch OD, each with two O
ring seals,
and a central thread between the two connectors on each end of the unit,
presumably
to retain the connector assembly.

Thanks,
Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-24 18:11:47 +0100, "Nick" said:

I am trying to identify the connections on top of a plate heat exchanger - I
have some photos which I can send anyone who might know, with dimensions.
I have Googled but to no avail.

There are four, push-on fittings, each approx. one inch OD, each with
two O ring seals,
and a central thread between the two connectors on each end of the
unit, presumably
to retain the connector assembly.

Thanks,
Nick

Can you put them on Photobucket or something?

Is there any sign of a manufacturer on it?

What's the problem? Are you trying to replace it or is itthat you have
one and want to use it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Can you put them on Photobucket or something?

Is there any sign of a manufacturer on it?

What's the problem? Are you trying to replace it or is itthat you have
one and want to use it?

Hi Andy...

Thanks for the reply,

Don't know Photobucket but will find and see if I can...

There is various information on it, including what is probably the maker's
logo but
its a bit cryptic and Googling all the interpretations I can think of
doesn't bring up anything
useful.

I have one which I want to experiment with / convert my DHW cylinder to a
thermal store
so I can run the DHW at mains pressure and have a decent shower without
pumps
(ultimately)

Do you have a "suitable" e-mail address I can send to ?

Thanks,
Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-24 18:56:56 +0100, "Nick" said:

Can you put them on Photobucket or something?

Is there any sign of a manufacturer on it?

What's the problem? Are you trying to replace it or is itthat you have
one and want to use it?

Hi Andy...

Thanks for the reply,

Don't know Photobucket but will find and see if I can...

Really easy. Signing up takes one minute and is free.

There is various information on it, including what is probably the
maker's logo but
its a bit cryptic and Googling all the interpretations I can think of
doesn't bring up anything
useful.

I have one which I want to experiment with / convert my DHW cylinder to
a thermal store
so I can run the DHW at mains pressure and have a decent shower without pumps
(ultimately)

I see.

Then the important things are

- figuring out which are the primary and secondary. You can find
out the pairs (blow into one pipe), but not easily which is primary.

- which is input and which is output in each case

- Heat transfer capacity. You can get a rough idea from the size.

See if this site helps

http://www.gea-ecobraze.com/

Generally for a heatbank application one goes for a 100 or 200kW
exchanger. They key is to be able to get as much heat as possible
from the primary side to the secondary in order to maximise the
possible hot water flow rate on the secondary for a given temperature
rise.

It doesn't matter if the heat exchanger is oversized because you can
regulate the heat transfer by setting the pump speed on the primary
side.

Do you have a "suitable" e-mail address I can send to ?

Thanks,
Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Help needed to identify plumbing connections - Andy Hall

Hi Andy,
Sussed Photobucket, a picture follows..
A picture follows...

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n.../P9240026b.jpg

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-24 19:14:46 +0100, "Nick" said:

Hi Andy,
Sussed Photobucket, a picture follows..
A picture follows...

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n.../P9240026b.jpg

Nick

Well, I don't recognise the logo and tried obvious interpretations of
it in ~Google (Suver, Suvep, Sunep,.....) no luck

What you could do is to count the plates and measure the size and
compare with the GEA site. That will give you a rough spec. at least.

The other challenge is going to finding a suitable way to connect to
the fittings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 19:30:19 +0100, Andy Hall

On 2006-09-24 19:14:46 +0100, "Nick" said:

Hi Andy,
Sussed Photobucket, a picture follows..
A picture follows...

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n.../P9240026b.jpg

Nick

Well, I don't recognise the logo and tried obvious interpretations of
it in ~Google (Suver, Suvep, Sunep,.....) no luck

http://www.swep.net/?lang=en

My aim is to Google for England.

DG
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

Well, I don't recognise the logo and tried obvious
interpretations of it in ~Google (Suver, Suvep, Sunep,

Try "Swep".

Eq.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-24 19:14:46 +0100, "Nick" said:

Hi Andy,
Sussed Photobucket, a picture follows..
A picture follows...

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n.../P9240026b.jpg

Nick

Well, I don't recognise the logo and tried obvious interpretations of
it in ~Google (Suver, Suvep, Sunep,.....) no luck

http://www.swep.net/?lang=en

My aim is to Google for England.

DG

Impressive.

It looks like the Swedes own the plate heat exchanger market.

Looking up the model number E8N doesn't reveal anything, but E8T does
as a heat exchanger for combi boiler. Perhaps this is an OEM version
or something.

Anyway, I think that Nick could compare the dimensions and see if it
all adds up except for the fittings.
Like most of these types of device , dimensions are quoted with a
thickness of some number plus N x another where N is the number of
plates.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 17:56:56 +0000, Nick wrote:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n.../P9240026b.jpg

Dimensions? It looks nice & big.

I have one which I want to experiment with / convert my DHW cylinder to a
thermal store
so I can run the DHW at mains pressure and have a decent shower without
pumps
(ultimately)

You'll still need a pump to drive water from the cylinder through the PHE
(but you knew that anyway :-)

I used a GEA Ecoflex "Copper brazed plate heat exchanger model:-
BP12M-20-G1G1"

Specification for 1 x M12-20-GG

Operational data:
Side A Side B

Media: Water Water
Condition: liquid liquid
Heat exchanged: 50 kW
Volume flow: 0.64 0.24 l/s
Temperature inlet: 82 10 °C
Temperature outlet: 63 60 °C
Pressure drop: 29.65 3.91 kPa
Surface margin: 1.49 %
Content: 0.5 l
Heat transfer area: 0.22 m2
Design pressu 30 bar
Design temperatu 200 °C

Design Data
Height, Width, Length: 188 70 55 mm
Insulation: none

This gives a good flow for most applications but runs cool whhen the
bath hot tap is on full bore

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
news
[...]

Hi John,

Several interesting replies ...

It seems that it is a SWEP product and I have been browsing their site but
this one doesn't seem to feature.
Its size is approx 310mm x 75mm with about 25 plates vertically and if
similar to the E8T, good for
up to around 75 kW, so should do the job nicely.... assuming materials
compatibility.

I think it might have been designed to be in a boiler and the connections
are made into a block, so I may be
looking for a boiler spare or have to get something made by someone with a
lathe...

Anyway, thanks to all for some great info - I will see what SWEP come back
with in a day or two hopefully
and post the findings.

Nick