rrh

Default Can anyone identify this plumbing fitting please?

1928 North London semi. Looks like an iron elbow connecting a 1/2" lead pipe
buried in the wall (presumably original) to another length of the same
outside it:

http://www.justigator.pwp.blueyonder.../DSC01085a.jpg
http://www.justigator.pwp.blueyonder.../DSC01089a.jpg

Would like to connect to 15mm copper like the pipe on the left in the main
pic does. Don't think I can DIY a similar soldered join myself (correct me
if I'm wrong). Not critical because it connects to copper behind the washing
machine anyway and I could join there. But it would be neater to do it where
it comes out of the wall. Nut of the elbow is 1.25"across flats. Can't
discern how elbow connects to pipe in wall. Is it likely to be, or suitable
to be replaced by, one of these:

Or could I use one of the lead-to-copper couplers he

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum...ion/d20/sd2697

and if so how can I ID which of the two gauges of 1/2"lead piping mine is?
And do they work just like compression joints on all-copper?

TIA.

rrh

Set Square

rrh wrote:

1928 North London semi. Looks like an iron elbow connecting a 1/2"
lead pipe buried in the wall (presumably original) to another length
of the same outside it:

http://www.justigator.pwp.blueyonder.../DSC01085a.jpg
http://www.justigator.pwp.blueyonder.../DSC01089a.jpg

I would hazard a guess that the nut is part of the lead pipe fitting rather
than the elbow, and that the elbow terminates in a male thread - probably
1/2" or 3/4" BSP. If this is the case, you could replace the lead with
copper - using something like a straight tap connector. You can get these
with the 'pipe' end using compression, solder or push-fit technology
depending on your preference.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

John Stumbles

Set Square wrote:

rrh wrote:

1928 North London semi. Looks like an iron elbow connecting a 1/2"
lead pipe buried in the wall (presumably original) to another length
of the same outside it:

http://www.justigator.pwp.blueyonder.../DSC01085a.jpg
http://www.justigator.pwp.blueyonder.../DSC01089a.jpg

I would hazard a guess that the nut is part of the lead pipe fitting
rather than the elbow, and that the elbow terminates in a male thread -

looks like a female threaded elbow to me: there's a small hex headed fitting
screwed closely into the iron elbow and it's the other end of this small
hex fitting which has the big nut on. If the fitting is brass you've a
chance of shifting it and getting a 1/2" BSP male x
compression/solder/whatever fitting into the elbow instead of it. You need
to clean it up first to find out what you've got though.

Set Square

John Stumbles wrote:

Set Square wrote:

rrh wrote:

1928 North London semi. Looks like an iron elbow connecting a 1/2"
lead pipe buried in the wall (presumably original) to another length
of the same outside it:

http://www.justigator.pwp.blueyonder.../DSC01085a.jpg
http://www.justigator.pwp.blueyonder.../DSC01089a.jpg

I would hazard a guess that the nut is part of the lead pipe fitting
rather than the elbow, and that the elbow terminates in a male
thread -

looks like a female threaded elbow to me: there's a small hex headed
fitting screwed closely into the iron elbow and it's the other end of
this small hex fitting which has the big nut on.

I agree that it's a female elbow, but I think that what's screwed into it is
a double-ended male fitting with a hex bit in the middle to enable you to
turn it. I still think that the big nut is on the lead pipe.

If so, the OP has a choice of either just removing the lead pipe and
replacing it with a female iron to copper fitting, or removing the lead pipe
*and* the hex bit, and using a male iron to copper fitting.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

rrh

Good leads, people, thanks. I'll let you know.

Stuart

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 19:06:33 GMT, "rrh" wrote:

Good leads, people, thanks. I'll let you know.

Is that good leads or good leads ( leds) ...lol
Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.
rrh

Is that good leads or good leads ( leds) ...lol
Stuart

Pun fully intended. Led on, Macduff.

rrh

The shape of the fitting going through the wall looks like a copper solder
ring fitting. Wjat is through the wall, and what is behind the washing
machine? You could probably change it all quite cheaply and easily for
copper.

Buried in the wall is an original lead pipe; whether the fitting you see is
directly connected to that or whether there is something in between I can't
presently tell, but I strongly suspect it's direct to the lead. Behind the
washing machine the lead pipe is compression-jointed to 1/2"or 15mm copper.

Set Square

B Thumbs wrote:

The shape of the fitting going through the wall looks like a copper
solder ring fitting.

That was my original take. But when the hex bit was pointed out by someone
else, I had to agree that it is an iron female elbow with something screwed
into it. Iron fittings often do have a sort of collar right at the end -
which may be mistaken for a solder ring when under multiple layers of paint.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

A plumbing fitting question Glenn Ashmore Metalworking 8 January 7th 05 06:13 AM
Old hot water tank fitting mike ring UK diy 0 August 18th 03 08:12 PM
New Home Slab Plumbing Catastrophe jim Home Repair 22 July 29th 03 04:09 AM