Set Square

John Stumbles wrote:

Set Square wrote:

rrh wrote:

1928 North London semi. Looks like an iron elbow connecting a 1/2"
lead pipe buried in the wall (presumably original) to another length
of the same outside it:

http://www.justigator.pwp.blueyonder.../DSC01085a.jpg
http://www.justigator.pwp.blueyonder.../DSC01089a.jpg

I would hazard a guess that the nut is part of the lead pipe fitting
rather than the elbow, and that the elbow terminates in a male
thread -

looks like a female threaded elbow to me: there's a small hex headed
fitting screwed closely into the iron elbow and it's the other end of
this small hex fitting which has the big nut on.

I agree that it's a female elbow, but I think that what's screwed into it is
a double-ended male fitting with a hex bit in the middle to enable you to
turn it. I still think that the big nut is on the lead pipe.

If so, the OP has a choice of either just removing the lead pipe and
replacing it with a female iron to copper fitting, or removing the lead pipe
*and* the hex bit, and using a male iron to copper fitting.
--
Cheers,
Set Square