Glenn Ashmore

Default A plumbing fitting question

What is the difference betwen a "street' and an "Ftg" fitting. For example
in copper sweat fittings I find "street ells" and "Ftg" reducers And what
does the FTG stand for besides "fitting"?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

jim rozen

In article oRmDd.11600$EG1.1631@lakeread04, Glenn Ashmore says...

What is the difference betwen a "street' and an "Ftg" fitting. For example
in copper sweat fittings I find "street ells" and "Ftg" reducers And what
does the FTG stand for besides "fitting"?

I don't know about ftg-s but a "street" elbow is one that is male/female
rather than regular ones that are female/female.

So an NPT street el has OD threads on one side, and ID threads on the
90 degree branch. For copper sweat fittings, one is large so it will
accept the pipe, the other branch has the same OD as the pipe, so
it will go into another fitting.

Jim

please reply to:
Ken Grunke

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
What is the difference betwen a "street' and an "Ftg" fitting. For example
in copper sweat fittings I find "street ells" and "Ftg" reducers And what
does the FTG stand for besides "fitting"?

I'm pretty sure ftg doesn't mean anything else but "fitting"--although
I'm just a weekend plumber, not a pro.
But this particular plumbing supply company uses it for everything:

http://www.meshersupply.com/cascades/brands/504

Ken Grunke

--
take da "ma" offa dot com fer eemayl

Leo Lichtman

While we're on the subject, why is it called a street el? Does it have
something to do with meter hookup, or getting the pipe out of the house into
the ground, or maybe an inventor named "Street?"

Ken Davey

Leo Lichtman wrote:
While we're on the subject, why is it called a street el? Does it
have something to do with meter hookup, or getting the pipe out of
the house into the ground, or maybe an inventor named "Street?"

I have often pondered that same question. A Google search comes up empty.
Ken.
--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'

Rick

"Ken Davey" wrote in message
Leo Lichtman wrote:
While we're on the subject, why is it called a street el? Does it
have something to do with meter hookup, or getting the pipe out of
the house into the ground, or maybe an inventor named "Street?"

I have often pondered that same question. A Google search comes up empty.
Ken.
--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'
http://www.spammotel.com

I found this at Ask Jeeves...

on February 09, 2004 at 13:46:18:

I was told this many years ago when I asked the same question.

Back in the good old days before tapping saddles and corporations were used
to connect water lines from the mains to the water meter, direct connections
were made.
A hole was drilled in an unpressurized water main, then tapped, and finished
with an elbow threaded in the water main. These elbows had a short nipple
then elbow pointing to the future meter location. The hole usually was
tapped right on the top of the water main so a short nipple to elbow was
used for start of the future service line.
Street El's were developed to have 1 less threaded joint exposed to dirt for
corrosion. It also had a lower profile from snagging when the water main was
dug up for repair or more service line additions.

This was the general idea I was given many years ago.

Rick

"Rick" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Ken Davey" wrote in message
Leo Lichtman wrote:
[...]

Forgot to paste this...

The thing left out of the explanation was that the water and gas mains were
usually located in the street, so that is the reason they were called
"street" ells.

Ken Davey

Rick wrote:
"Rick" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Ken Davey" wrote in message
Leo Lichtman wrote:
While we're on the subject, why is it called a street el? Does it
have something to do with meter hookup, or getting the pipe out of
the house into the ground, or maybe an inventor named "Street?"

I have often pondered that same question. A Google search comes up
empty. Ken.
--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'
http://www.spammotel.com

I found this at Ask Jeeves...

Beisel on February 09, 2004 at 13:46:18:

[...]

Makes sense Rick.
Thanks.

Ken.

--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'
http://www.spammotel.com

Jim Levie

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 05:23:22 +0000, Leo Lichtman wrote:

While we're on the subject, why is it called a street el? Does it have
something to do with meter hookup, or getting the pipe out of the house
into the ground, or maybe an inventor named "Street?"

Because calling it a boulevard ell is, well, silly. And besides a lot of
plumbers would have trouble spelling it.
--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.