Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plumbing Code - Can I tie my bathroom exaust fan into the main plumbing vent to the outside.

Hello - I bought an older house and I am renovating and making my half
bath a full bath. I wanted to install an exhaust fan in the bathroom,
but it is not very convienent to send it to the side of the house and I
don't won't to bother cutting a hole in the roof. So, I was wondering,
since the main air vent to both bathrooms is directly above my new
bathroom, can I have piece of PVC installed so that my exhaust vent
blows into the air vent? Is this code worthy?

Thanks for the suggestions...

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

johnnymo wrote:
Hello - I bought an older house and I am renovating and making my half
bath a full bath. I wanted to install an exhaust fan in the bathroom,
but it is not very convienent to send it to the side of the house and I
don't won't to bother cutting a hole in the roof. So, I was wondering,
since the main air vent to both bathrooms is directly above my new
bathroom, can I have piece of PVC installed so that my exhaust vent
blows into the air vent? Is this code worthy?

Thanks for the suggestions...

John

No. It won't pass code and for good reason. Do you want sewer gas
coming into your bathroom?

Posted to alt.home.repair

johnnymo wrote:
Hello - I bought an older house and I am renovating and making my half
bath a full bath. I wanted to install an exhaust fan in the bathroom,
but it is not very convienent to send it to the side of the house and I
don't won't to bother cutting a hole in the roof. So, I was wondering,
since the main air vent to both bathrooms is directly above my new
bathroom, can I have piece of PVC installed so that my exhaust vent
blows into the air vent? Is this code worthy?

Thanks for the suggestions...

John

No. Except there's a water-trap, you can only connect draing piping to
the
outside, via drain line or vent. Sewer gas can be explosive, and it's
happened
that contractor cracks a gas main near a sewer line, with natural gas
getting into house with dry trap. With house coming apart in a
fireball.

This was a block away.

So you see why sewer venting is not a "convenience" thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ok...I am no plumber and makes good sense, but is there enough pressure
in the air vent to push the "sewer gases" sideways and down to my
exhaust fan. I was thinking as long as I don't create a direct route I
would be ok. I just wanted to tie on to the side, kind of like my sink
is right now.

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I will do a little more research.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"johnnymo" wrote in message
ups.com...

Ok...I am no plumber and makes good sense, but is there enough pressure
in the air vent to push the "sewer gases" sideways and down to my
exhaust fan. I was thinking as long as I don't create a direct route I
would be ok. I just wanted to tie on to the side, kind of like my sink
is right now.

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I will do a little more research.

The flex hose from mine is wired to the inside of one of the existing roof
vents. It works fine. When I re-roof soon, I'm having it routed to its own
vent, but you could get away with jury-rigging it, if necessary.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cool...I am fixing this house to live in, but not very long (~5 years),
so I wanna stay close to code so that people won't make me fix it when
I go to sell the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"johnnymo" wrote in message
ups.com...

Cool...I am fixing this house to live in, but not very long (~5 years),
so I wanna stay close to code so that people won't make me fix it when
I go to sell the house.

Be sure to wire the pipe as far up in the vent as possible, so moisture is
blown all the way out. Otherwise, it's possible to have condensation on the
inside of the metal vent, which may drip back down again. I wondered about
this with mine, so I've observed while the shower as on full blast. You
should do the same when you're done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yea, that is why I thought the idea was a good one, b/c it is a very
short distance, just up 1' and over 1' ft, but the air vent still has a
way to go, so I thought if there was condensation, it is going to drain
down the air stack and into the sewer.

I just want to make sure you guys don't think the sewer gas is going to
make its way past my exhaust fan?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"johnnymo" wrote in message
ups.com...
Cool...I am fixing this house to live in, but not very long (~5 years),
so I wanna stay close to code so that people won't make me fix it when
I go to sell the house.

Be sure to wire the pipe as far up in the vent as possible, so moisture is
blown all the way out. Otherwise, it's possible to have condensation on the
inside of the metal vent, which may drip back down again. I wondered about
this with mine, so I've observed while the shower as on full blast. You
should do the same when you're done.

I sure hope you are talking about one of the attic vents and not the
sewer vent, Joe. Sounds like Johnny wants to hook into the sewer vent
pipe stack which will cause all sorts of trouble when he wants to sell
the house. Not to mention that "wonderful" odor he'll be trying to track
down in his bathroom on those occasional days.

My advice Johnny, is don't tap into the sewer vent stack unless you
intend to use it to dump sewage into.

--
Grandpa
Posted to alt.home.repair

According to johnnymo :

Yea, that is why I thought the idea was a good one, b/c it is a very
short distance, just up 1' and over 1' ft, but the air vent still has a
way to go, so I thought if there was condensation, it is going to drain
down the air stack and into the sewer.

I just want to make sure you guys don't think the sewer gas is going to
make its way past my exhaust fan?

If you interconnected the bathroom vent to the DWV vent, and
if the exhaust fan isn't running, why wouldn't it get
past? It's a _gas_, remember?

Would just need a minor vacuum in the house (eg: woodstove or
stove vent) to make it a high volume blast of stink.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Posted to alt.home.repair

"johnnymo" wrote in message
ps.com...

Yea, that is why I thought the idea was a good one, b/c it is a very
short distance, just up 1' and over 1' ft, but the air vent still has a
way to go, so I thought if there was condensation, it is going to drain
down the air stack and into the sewer.

I just want to make sure you guys don't think the sewer gas is going to
make its way past my exhaust fan?

Thanks

You're not going to attach it to the sewer pipe or vent. I'm talking about
the attic vents. If you don't have one nearby, it would really be worth your
money to install a vent specifically made for the fan, or have a roofer do
it.

Repeat: You are not going anywhere near the sewer pipe. Crush the idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

johnnymo wrote:
Yea, that is why I thought the idea was a good one, b/c it is a very
short distance, just up 1' and over 1' ft, but the air vent still has a
way to go, so I thought if there was condensation, it is going to drain
down the air stack and into the sewer.

I just want to make sure you guys don't think the sewer gas is going to
make its way past my exhaust fan?

Thanks

It will, you won't like it. Don't do it.
--
Grandpa
Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Grandpa :
I sure hope you are talking about one of the attic vents and not the
sewer vent, Joe. Sounds like Johnny wants to hook into the sewer vent
pipe stack which will cause all sorts of trouble when he wants to sell
the house. Not to mention that "wonderful" odor he'll be trying to track
down in his bathroom on those occasional days.

Whaddya mean "occasional"? I suspect it'd be pretty much all stench,
all the time ;-)
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks Grandpa.

So, what is the difference in hooking up a sink to the side of the
sewer vent than hooking up a piece of flex hosing that goes down.

Maybe the trap? Is it b/c there is always water/gunk in the trap not
allowing the gases to go up through the sink?

My exhaust fan hose is always going to be dry so that would be a
problem. Hmm....maybe not such a good idea?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"johnnymo" wrote in message
oups.com...

Thanks Grandpa.

So, what is the difference in hooking up a sink to the side of the
sewer vent than hooking up a piece of flex hosing that goes down.

Maybe the trap? Is it b/c there is always water/gunk in the trap not
allowing the gases to go up through the sink?

My exhaust fan hose is always going to be dry so that would be a
problem. Hmm....maybe not such a good idea?

Give some thought to the fact that nobody does this. Not ever. There is a
reason.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Awesome...good ideas. Idea is dead. Makes sense. I thought I was onto
to something, but as usual, there is a reason why it is not done this
way.

I was just testing you guys....jk. have a whole house fan, and the
minute I turn that sucker on, I can see it sucking the air from my
bathroom including the air in my exchaut fan vent when the fan is not
running.

Back to the drawing board. I appreciated every ones ideas and
suggestions. Seems like a really dumb idea now that I look back.

Peace.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"johnnymo" wrote in message
ps.com...

Awesome...good ideas. Idea is dead. Makes sense. I thought I was onto
to something, but as usual, there is a reason why it is not done this
way.

I was just testing you guys....jk. have a whole house fan, and the
minute I turn that sucker on, I can see it sucking the air from my
bathroom including the air in my exchaut fan vent when the fan is not
running.

Back to the drawing board. I appreciated every ones ideas and
suggestions. Seems like a really dumb idea now that I look back.

Peace.

Call a roofer or two or three and find out what it could cost to have a
proper vent installed. It might be cheaper than you think.

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to JoeSpareBedroom :

Call a roofer or two or three and find out what it could cost to have a
proper vent installed. It might be cheaper than you think.

Another approach is to run tubing/hose from the bathroom vent to the
eaves, and face the outlet _down_ thru the soffit.

Prevents warm air siphoning, no wall rework required.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair

johnnymo wrote:
Thanks Grandpa.

So, what is the difference in hooking up a sink to the side of the
sewer vent than hooking up a piece of flex hosing that goes down.

Maybe the trap? Is it b/c there is always water/gunk in the trap not
allowing the gases to go up through the sink?

My exhaust fan hose is always going to be dry so that would be a
problem. Hmm....maybe not such a good idea?

That would be the exact reason, sink drains have traps to prevent sewer
gas from entering the room.

The fan connection to the DWV vent pipe not only violates code(s), its
a plain Bad Idea as stated by others. Aside from a low pressure
conditon in the building (think kitchen exahust fan, opening a well
sealed outside door with all the windows closed, the aforementioned
fireplace or wood stove) causing sewer gas to be drawn in when the fan
is not operating, it is possible (though less likely,) that with the
bathroom fan operating, it is conceivable that the positive pressure
introduced by the fan could have an adverse affect on one of the drain
trap's contents, should the vent outlet become (partially or fully)
obstructed, say be snow. I admit, this is a long shot, but you are
looking for reasons why this is a Bad Idea, that's another.

I'll echo what a previous poster said - make sure the fan exhaust makes
it outside. Don't let it loose inside the attic. You'll be asking for
moisture trouble.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

johnnymo wrote:
Thanks Grandpa.

So, what is the difference in hooking up a sink to the side of the
sewer vent than hooking up a piece of flex hosing that goes down.

Maybe the trap? Is it b/c there is always water/gunk in the trap not
allowing the gases to go up through the sink?

My exhaust fan hose is always going to be dry so that would be a
problem. Hmm....maybe not such a good idea?

Here's something to think about. Know why managers of large commercial
buildings have ALL the floors mopped routinely -- even in areas that
are never used? It's to keep the floor drains wet so they don't stink
(seriously). They also make floor drains with "drippers" built in that
connect to a water line. They drip to keep the trap wet.

I guess all I can add to this is to cut the pipe open, take a good
whiff, and see what you think.

BTW, what you are proposing is known to happen in larger applications,
but they use a mechanically ventilated pipe so there's no back draft.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, "johnnymo" wrote:

Thanks Grandpa.

So, what is the difference in hooking up a sink to the side of the
sewer vent than hooking up a piece of flex hosing that goes down.

Maybe the trap? Is it b/c there is always water/gunk in the trap not
allowing the gases to go up through the sink?

Precisely. That's *exactly* what the trap is for. Many people believe,
mistakenly, that the trap is there to catch objects and stop them from going
down the drain. Nope. It's there for one reason: to keep sewer gas from coming
*up*. And that's why it's important for there to be water in the trap all the
time.

My exhaust fan hose is always going to be dry so that would be a
problem. Hmm....maybe not such a good idea?

How many times do you need to be told it's not a good idea, before that
finally sinks in?

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
et...
In article .com,
"johnnymo" wrote:

[...]

He was waiting for YOU to stop by and tell him. He didn't believe anyone
else.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. net...
In article .com,
"johnnymo" wrote:

[...]

You really should see a therapist, Joe. This fixation you have on me isn't
healthy.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.net...
In article .com,
"johnnymo" wrote:

[...]

My fixation? 4-5 hours ago, half a dozen people told him his idea was lame.
You needed to chime in and say the exact same thing?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
y.net...
In article .com,
"johnnymo" wrote:

[...]

I see you're still having trouble with reading comprehension -- I responded to
his question about the trap.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

johnnymo wrote:
Hello - I bought an older house and I am renovating and making my half
bath a full bath. I wanted to install an exhaust fan in the bathroom,
but it is not very convienent to send it to the side of the house and I
don't won't to bother cutting a hole in the roof. So, I was wondering,
since the main air vent to both bathrooms is directly above my new
bathroom, can I have piece of PVC installed so that my exhaust vent
blows into the air vent? Is this code worthy?

Thanks for the suggestions...

John

I see you have a long thread about this, but I didn't
see one of the simplest answers. The sewer stack isn't
big enough. The vent fan needs a 4 inch line. For a
sewer vent plus a fan vent you need a 6 to 8 inch
line. I doubt if you have a sewer stack that large.

The proper way is to run the vent fan in a 4 inch
metal vent pipe to its own outside vent.

Bill Gill
Posted to alt.home.repair

SEWER ODORS are a problem. SWEETFILTER is the solution.

Start making money today at www.Sweetfilter.cn

Simply join our affiliate program there at CCNOW for Sweetfilters.

Every city, town, etc. has obnoxious odor regulations.

Just tell your neighbors, friends, public officials, etc. that their
rooftop vent pipes and street manholes STINK and you have a solution at
www.Sweetfilter.com

You can makes hundreds of dollars each day selling and installing
Sweetfilters!!!
Grandpa wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"johnnymo" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yet another useless response from the succo company that adds nothing to
the answer provided by trader (an probably numerous other people) in a 3
year old thread with the OP long gone.

The succo company response is spam from a plumber. With a response this
stupid it is a company for anyone in Louisiana to avoid.

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to johnnymo, Attila wrote:
Exhaust fans have a flap door, so air can move only one direction. Also keeps
bugs out!
So I don't understand how sewer gas can go down into the exhaust fan. It can
open the door against the reversed airflow?
If the air duct from the exhaust fan connected into the vertical main sewer
vent which is 3 or 4 inch pipe with a T fitting, then any condensation from
the moist air forced out by the fan is just dripping down into the sewer!
When your fan is working, it creates positive pressure in the vent system
which is even help the water flow down if somebody flash the toilet or drain
the bat tub. It would act like the turbo charger on vehicles! If the fan do
not work at the time, when water is draining, the draining water creates
negative pressure in the vent so it sucks air from outside as usual and may
some air from your bathroom too, through the exhaust fan.
I can't think of a scenario, when a sewer gas rising up inside the main vent
would make a major U turn down towards the exhaust fan, open the flap door,
and sneak into your bathroom!
In a windy day you can see the water in your toilet moving up and down, cause
the pressure change in the vent pipe moving the trap water in the P-trap.
Because the exhaust fan have a flap door allowing air flow only one direction,
the sewer gas can't flow back downwards, passing the one way door!
Its act like the air admittance valves!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ma-161591-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 8, 2018 at 7:14:06 PM UTC-5, Attila wrote:
[...]

The flap is far from a perfect seal, even if new and functioning properly.
I've heard them bounce around on a
windy day. Sewer gas is stinky. Do you want sewer stink leaking into your
bathroom? Aside from that, it's a code violation and it should not be
hard to properly vent a bathroom fan to the outside.

In a windy day you can see the water in your toilet moving up and down, cause
the pressure change in the vent pipe moving the trap water in the P-trap.
Because the exhaust fan have a flap door allowing air flow only one direction,
the sewer gas can't flow back downwards, passing the one way door!
Its act like the air admittance valves!

I would expect that an air admittance valve is designed and tested to an
actual plumbing standard and would be a better seal and reliable compared
to a flimsy piece of metal acting like a damper in a cheap bathroom fan.