Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

Default Dodgy digital TV - Mains problem?

We live in a poor TV reception area (really must get a new aerial!),
so the digital will often go a bit dodgy. I notice, however, that it
always pauses when something electrical switches (lights, the fridge,
the heating etc). I doubt that it's the digital box, as this has
happened with both of two independent ones that we've had. Now, it
could be simply what happens when the signal is pretty marginal, but I
got to wondering whether it says something about the state of the
wiring. Just wondered whether anyone had any bright ideas?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"GMM" wrote in message
We live in a poor TV reception area (really must get a new aerial!),
so the digital will often go a bit dodgy. I notice, however, that it
always pauses when something electrical switches (lights, the fridge,
the heating etc). I doubt that it's the digital box, as this has
happened with both of two independent ones that we've had. Now, it
could be simply what happens when the signal is pretty marginal, but I
got to wondering whether it says something about the state of the
wiring. Just wondered whether anyone had any bright ideas?

Yes, get someone in to check your aerial and the signal.

We had bad signal for a while, and on getting someone in to check the
aerial, we found that the old connections had corroded. A new aerial made
all the difference.

Paying £35 -50 for the expertise, testing equipment and new aerial (not to
mention avoiding the need to get up on the roof) was a bargain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , OG
scribeth thus

"GMM" wrote in message
[...]

Yes that was. Around here its nearer £200 as the digital cowboy riggers
cash in;(...

O/P, Where are you and what transmitter do you use?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Nov, 00:07, GMM wrote:
We live in a poor TV reception area (really must get a new aerial!),
so the digital will often go a bit dodgy. I notice, however, that it
always pauses when something electrical switches (lights, the fridge,
the heating etc). I doubt that it's the digital box

Nevertheless, boxes do vary in their sensitivity to such
interference. Our old Pioneer On Digital box never suffers from
impulsive interference, but a Humax PVR fed with the same signal is
much worse. So whilst the suggestion to get your aerial/leads checked
and if necessary replaced is a good one, don't rule out the
possibility that a different DigiBox might help.

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/
To reply by email change 'news' to my forename.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:
We live in a poor TV reception area (really must get a new aerial!),
so the digital will often go a bit dodgy. I notice, however, that it
always pauses when something electrical switches (lights, the fridge,
the heating etc). I doubt that it's the digital box, as this has
happened with both of two independent ones that we've had. Now, it
could be simply what happens when the signal is pretty marginal, but I
got to wondering whether it says something about the state of the
wiring. Just wondered whether anyone had any bright ideas?

Do you have a masthead amplifier? Its a little box fixed to the mast
outside about 1 metre down from the aerial. In some places the voltage
drops momentarily when something switches on. Hits me because I live at
the end of a long overhead line. This might cause the amp to stop amping
so much for a moment and cause the glitch.

Probably a good time to upgrade. If you are in a fringe area a Televes
wideband aerial (DAT 45 or 75) is probably the best bet with a Televes
masthead and PSU. Which reminds me to get out the scaffold tower and
install mine. Still in the box after four months!

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff formulated on Thursday :
In message
, GMM
writes
We live in a poor TV reception area (really must get a new aerial!),
so the digital will often go a bit dodgy. I notice, however, that it
always pauses when something electrical switches (lights, the fridge,
the heating etc). I doubt that it's the digital box, as this has
happened with both of two independent ones that we've had. Now, it
could be simply what happens when the signal is pretty marginal, but I
got to wondering whether it says something about the state of the
wiring. Just wondered whether anyone had any bright ideas?

move

That is to be expected in a poor signal area - it is just the brief
signal from the switching breaking through and swamping the TV signal.
It could equally be poor quality coax at fault, allowing the
interference to into the cable. Might a basic (none Sky) satellite
system be a better option than terrestrial?

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 22, 4:18 pm, Peter Scott wrote:

Probably a good time to upgrade. If you are in a fringe area a Televes
wideband aerial (DAT 45 or 75) is probably the best bet with a Televes
masthead and PSU. Which reminds me to get out the scaffold tower and
install mine. Still in the box after four months!

Peter Scott

I can beat that; I've got a nice branded aerial that's sat on top of
my son's wardrobe for almost 2 years now without being fitted. Maybe
next weekend....

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Scott" wrote in message
om...

GMM wrote:
[...]

Why are you suggesting that the OP gets a wideband aerial when he
hasn't told us what transmitter he uses? A grouped aerial may be more
appropriate.
Incidently, which transmitter are you intending to point your Televes at?
--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Graham.
scribeth thus

"Peter Scott" wrote in message
news:meudnYJkaLNyNtjanZ2dnUVZ8tOmnZ2d@brightview. com...

GMM wrote:
[...]

Bill Wright reckons an Antiference 18 element is as good that those
thelves bling things!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:
[...]

Talcolnestone. Go on. Your are going to tell me it's no good for that!
Aaargh! At least I haven't fitted it yet.

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:
[...]

'fraid so Peter. All Tacolneston channels, pre and post switch-over are
at the top end of the band, and a Group C/D aerial is best.
That means you can achieve the same or better gain and directivity
with an aerial a fraction of the weight, wind-loading, and, of course,
price.

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Peter
Scott scribeth thus

GMM wrote:
[...]

Taccy?, Where are yew in darkest Narfolke?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:
GMM wrote:
[...]

I knew it was C/D but didn't see why a wideband should be a problem. You
seem to be agreeing except for the factors you've listed. I don't think
the long C/D aerial I'm replacing is any lighter nor less liable to wind
pressure. So I guess I'll go ahead and use the Televes, which is
shorter. What do you think of Televes amps? The one I've got has three
variable gain inputs (UHF, VHF and DAT) that it multiplexes down to one
feed cable. Feels well engineered.

Peter Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
In article , Peter
Scott scribeth thus

GMM wrote:
[...]

Thas roight bor

We keep it's joys a secret so that not too many people want to move
here. Some one suggested that as there's only about 5 km of Norfolk
border that isn't a river, we ought to build a wall or a moat. Trouble
is we can't afford that as we need the money to stop the sea washing
some of us away. I was outraged to see agricultural land described as
'low value' in some boneheaded politician's drivel excusing the neglect.
Ask 99% of the world's population what land is most valuable and they'll
say land you can grow food on. What weird ideas the great deep thinking
ones have got!!

Unfortunately the glitterati seem to have discovered where I live in
North Norfolk. They'll go away before long I expect.

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

'fraid so Peter. All Tacolneston channels, pre and post switch-over are
at the top end of the band, and a Group C/D aerial is best.
That means you can achieve the same or better gain and directivity
with an aerial a fraction of the weight, wind-loading, and, of course,
price.

I knew it was C/D but didn't see why a wideband should be a problem. You
seem to be agreeing except for the factors you've listed. I don't think
the long C/D aerial I'm replacing is any lighter nor less liable to wind
pressure. So I guess I'll go ahead and use the Televes, which is
shorter. What do you think of Televes amps? The one I've got has three
variable gain inputs (UHF, VHF and DAT) that it multiplexes down to one
feed cable. Feels well engineered.

Peter Scott

I can't comment on the amp but in general terms a Yagi aerial like what
most all TV aerials are is essentially a narrowband device, the supposed
wideband versions have overall lower gain across the whole band and
hence if you can its a good idea to use one for the narrowest band
possible where they will have the best gain...

And then you may not need the pre amp...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Peter Scott
scribeth thus

tony sayer wrote:
In article , Peter
Scott scribeth thus

GMM wrote:
[...]

Enough of 'em are piling up the A11 on a Friday nite;!..

Some one suggested that as there's only about 5 km of Norfolk
border that isn't a river, we ought to build a wall or a moat. Trouble
is we can't afford that as we need the money to stop the sea washing
some of us away. I was outraged to see agricultural land described as
'low value' in some boneheaded politician's drivel excusing the neglect.
Ask 99% of the world's population what land is most valuable and they'll
say land you can grow food on. What weird ideas the great deep thinking
ones have got!!

Unfortunately the glitterati seem to have discovered where I live in
North Norfolk. They'll go away before long I expect.

Now most of North Norfolk isn't that well served by Taccy hence the
relay stations there;(....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:

Now most of North Norfolk isn't that well served by Taccy hence the
relay stations there;(....

Very true. I live in a dip at about 50 km from Tac. Some weather
conditions produce poor reception. I need high amplification - 26 dB
masthead and a distribution amp. Trouble is that when there is a
freakily good signal I get strange effects as well.

So I reckoned it was time to start again, with new aerials and masthead.
I have switched to a slightly longer 2 inch dia mast and am going to put
it on a higher part of the house. Hopefully all will be well then. I'll
experimentally screw the gain down to an acceptable level under worst
conditions to avoid the freaky stuff.

Does anyone know why terrestrial signal meters are so much more
expensive than those sold for satellite setup? I used to borrow one for
setting up but can't any more and I'm not going to lash out 250 pounds.

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:

[...]

Far from being optermised for reception wideband yagis are always
a compromise, simply because they are wideband.
There are situations where you have no choice but to use
a wideband due to the spread of channels allocated to a given
transmitter but this is not the case at Tacolneston.
You can understand the advantages of distributing these one-size-
fits-all aerials around the country, you need to go to a specilist
stockist to get a grouped aerial. I understand that the "semi wideband"
Group E is difficult to obtain, even to the trade.

A decent group C/D aerial would out-perform that Televes and
be smaller and lighter, it would also be "tuned" to the availible
DTT MUXs (and analouge channels), and be better able to
reject out-of-band signals such as TETRA.
To sum up that aerial may work perfectly, but it sounds like
your intention was to optimise your installation.
Ping Bill Wright on uk.tech.digital-tv if you want a more expert
opinion.

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Thanks for the clarification and the help. I think I'll go ahead with
the Televes as I've got it and paid for it. I'll certainly bear what
you've said in mind for any future changes ( and any help I might give
someone else!).

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

To sum up that aerial may work perfectly, but it sounds like
your intention was to optimise your installation.
Ping Bill Wright on uk.tech.digital-tv if you want a more expert
opinion.

BTW did we solve the op's problem?

Peter