Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Problem with digital thermostat

My digital thermostat does not seem to be working. It will not click on
to tell my furnace to heat the house. I have replaced the batteries and
that didnt help, checked all my breakers and they are all fine. I use
hot water to heat my house and i am still getting hot water so i am
sure that it is probably not a problem with the furnace itself. any
suggestions? it is 4am here on a sunday morning and i dont want to call
in a service repairman if it is something that i could do myself and
that i may not be thinking of checking. any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 18 Mar 2006 23:41:10 -0800, wrote:

My digital thermostat does not seem to be working. It will not click on
to tell my furnace to heat the house. I have replaced the batteries and
that didnt help, checked all my breakers and they are all fine. I use
hot water to heat my house and i am still getting hot water so i am
sure that it is probably not a problem with the furnace itself. any
suggestions? it is 4am here on a sunday morning and i dont want to call
in a service repairman if it is something that i could do myself and
that i may not be thinking of checking. any suggestions would be
appreciated.

You may be pretty cold by now, you don't say. Aha, Canada.

Are you awake bedause it is cold?

The quickest method: Plug the tub, remove the soap from the tub and
put it by the sink, put the curtain in the tub and run the shower,
letting the steam spread through the house, especially the bedroom.
TURN OFF THE WATER before the tub gets too high, and make sure the
faucet is not dripping after you turn it off.

Because I'm going to suggest you leave the tub full of the hot water
and go to sleep, so you don't want the water running or the tub will
overflow while you sleep. The hot water will continue to emit heat
and more importantly some of it will evaporate, and when the humidity
is higher you will feel more comfortable.

The next quickest method is to boil a big pot of water on the stove,
but you will probably get sleepy before the pot evapporates, and you
don't want to leave the burner on when the water is gone or you'll
ruin the pot.

The most reliable method for sleeping: Get an electric blanket. Mine
goes up to 9, but even 1 is hot enough most of the time and 2 the rest
of the time. I can't imagine what 8 must be like.

The second most reliable. Put on a second blanket, or a third. For
some reason it seems to get warm immediately, even though that's not
possible.

More advice will follow from others in the morning.

P&M reply by post.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Spud

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

Good advice
also if you have garden hose handy hook it to the drain of the water heater
run it to the tub coil it in one room
I thought there was something wrong with my electric blanket 3 is just way
to hot
Spud

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
ups.com...
My digital thermostat does not seem to be working. It will not click on
to tell my furnace to heat the house. I have replaced the batteries and
that didnt help, checked all my breakers and they are all fine. I use
hot water to heat my house and i am still getting hot water so i am
sure that it is probably not a problem with the furnace itself. any
suggestions? it is 4am here on a sunday morning and i dont want to call
in a service repairman if it is something that i could do myself and
that i may not be thinking of checking. any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Could be the thermostat. Could be a relay on the heater. Could be a few
things.
If it is a simple two wire thermostat, you can remove it, touch the two
wires together and if the heater starts, it is the thermostat. If no, it is
something else.