Kevin_S

Default Thermostat install problem

I bought a new programmable thermostat and got ready to install it.
When I removed the old therm I realized it is mounted vertically in a
standard electrical wall box. Well, the new thermostat mounts
horizontaly. I *could* just mount it straight to the drywall, but the
new thermostat I bought won't cover up the entire hole then. Short of
patching the wall I wanted to find an easy solution. I checked the
local True Value and Lowes to see if there was some sort of
cover/adapter plate but found nothing. Does something exist for this
application (and where do I find it) or do I just need to make
something on my own?

Thanks

RBM

You probably need to make something, but first you need to be sure of the
voltage of the existing thermostat as vertically mounted thermostats that
mount to electrical boxes were often line (120) voltage.

"Kevin_S" wrote in message
ups.com...
I bought a new programmable thermostat and got ready to install it.
When I removed the old therm I realized it is mounted vertically in a
standard electrical wall box. Well, the new thermostat mounts
horizontaly. I *could* just mount it straight to the drywall, but the
new thermostat I bought won't cover up the entire hole then. Short of
patching the wall I wanted to find an easy solution. I checked the
local True Value and Lowes to see if there was some sort of
cover/adapter plate but found nothing. Does something exist for this
application (and where do I find it) or do I just need to make
something on my own?

Thanks

Kevin_S

Meaning I need a different thermostat I assume? I haven't put a volt
meter on it yet.

I have gas hot water heat (just two-wires to hook up!) . House was
built in 1994. I bought this thermostat.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...93-CT3200A1001

Eric

Kevin_S wrote:

Meaning I need a different thermostat I assume? I haven't put a volt
meter on it yet.

I have gas hot water heat (just two-wires to hook up!) . House was
built in 1994. I bought this thermostat.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...93-CT3200A1001
you cant go to that url, lowes wont let you - it stops midway and wants a
zip code - i hate that kind of crap from websites - i mean i dont care if
they stock it locally or not, i just want to see it right?
Eric

Kevin_S

figures....

From going to the website I swore I bought the Honeywell CT3200A (based

on it being the right price and a 5/2 thermostat) but now I'm not so
sure after looking at the picture. Mine looks slightly different.

I'll go home and check the voltage and double check the model number
tonight.

RBM

If the two wires are bell wire, your fine but if they are 14 or 12 gauge, it
could mean line voltage. It's not likely they'd be line voltage in a house
built in 94'

"Kevin_S" wrote in message
ups.com...
Meaning I need a different thermostat I assume? I haven't put a volt
meter on it yet.

I have gas hot water heat (just two-wires to hook up!) . House was
built in 1994. I bought this thermostat.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...93-CT3200A1001

Kevin_S

OK Since I work a few minutes from home, I ran home and checked it.

My voltage read about 28 volts to the old thermostat (which was a
mechanical honeywell that said 30V max inside of it).

My new thermostat is a Honeywell RTH230B (which I can't seem to find
anywhere online... wierd!). Maybe a new model? Or a model special to
lowes?

An HVAC guy just happens to be changing folters at work and I asked him
about it, he said the one I have should work fine (I showed it to him,
I didn't realize it actually ran off of batteries). He said yes there
is a plate that is made and sold to contractors but he didn't really
say how I could aquire one (probably wants me to have them install one
for me). Although he was surprised that I couldn't get said plate at
True Value or Lowes.

RBM

You can get a single gang blank plate to cover the box, but it is slightly
raised, so it would keep the new stat about an eighth of an inch off the
wall. You may be better off just plastering the hole. The thermostat should
work fine

"Kevin_S" wrote in message
oups.com...
OK Since I work a few minutes from home, I ran home and checked it.

My voltage read about 28 volts to the old thermostat (which was a
mechanical honeywell that said 30V max inside of it).

My new thermostat is a Honeywell RTH230B (which I can't seem to find
anywhere online... wierd!). Maybe a new model? Or a model special to
lowes?

An HVAC guy just happens to be changing folters at work and I asked him
about it, he said the one I have should work fine (I showed it to him,
I didn't realize it actually ran off of batteries). He said yes there
is a plate that is made and sold to contractors but he didn't really
say how I could aquire one (probably wants me to have them install one
for me). Although he was surprised that I couldn't get said plate at
True Value or Lowes.

Kevin_S

I'll come up with something...

but this makes me think such a plate exists, but how does a
non-contractor get one? Guess maybe I should call my normal
heating/cooling company.

(bottom two comments)
http://www.terrylove.com/forums/arch...hp?t-4011.html

Kevin_S

I think I might have finally found it!

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewpro...eywell_209650A

But for $20 (plus shipping, plus waiting for it) I think I can come up
with a home brew solution.

mark and jess

I own an A/C company and what I would do if it were my house is put a blank
face plate over the box and move the t-stat over a little bit. You should
be able to go into the attic pull to low voltage wire up, and fish it down
with a fish tape. It would look as differnet if it were three or four feet
down from where it is now.

George E. Cawthon

Kevin_S wrote:
I think I might have finally found it!

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewpro...eywell_209650A

But for $20 (plus shipping, plus waiting for it) I think I can come up
with a home brew solution.

Most thermostat hookups just have a hole in the
wall (no box). I would get a cover for the box
and mount the thermostat to the side, below, or
above. Just drill a hole where convenient to
mount the thermostat. Then run the wire out an
opening in the box to the hole you drill. If you
drill a 3/8" hole you should be able to fish the
wire from the box to the drilled hole pretty easy.
Just make sure there is no stud in between.

mm

On 27 Oct 2005 12:14:04 -0700, "Kevin_S" wrote:

I bought a new programmable thermostat and got ready to install it.
When I removed the old therm I realized it is mounted vertically in a
standard electrical wall box. Well, the new thermostat mounts
horizontaly. I *could* just mount it straight to the drywall, but the
new thermostat I bought won't cover up the entire hole then. Short of
patching the wall I wanted to find an easy solution. I checked the
local True Value and Lowes to see if there was some sort of
cover/adapter plate but found nothing. Does something exist for this
application (and where do I find it) or do I just need to make
something on my own?

Thanks

I can't help. Just a wry comment.

It never occurred to me before that the cheap installation of my
thermostat would be better than a careful one.. It just uses a hole
in the drywall. When I changed from a round Honeywell to a
rectangular setback, there were no issues.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
mm

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 13:04:39 -0700, Eric wrote:

Kevin_S wrote:

Meaning I need a different thermostat I assume? I haven't put a volt
meter on it yet.

I have gas hot water heat (just two-wires to hook up!) . House was
built in 1994. I bought this thermostat.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...93-CT3200A1001
you cant go to that url, lowes wont let you - it stops midway and wants a
zip code - i hate that kind of crap from websites - i mean i dont care if
they stock it locally or not, i just want to see it right?

Lowe's (or is it HD) has the stupidest website in the world. They
want your zipcode. If the store near you doesn't have it, they want
another zipcode. I don't know any of the other zipcodes. Don't they
know where there other stores are?

And if I have to go 25 miles to get what I want, I'll do it. Why do
they insist on my knowing the zip code of a store 25 miles away.

I wrote them about this 2 or 3 years ago. They're hopeless.

And.... the store near me did have what I wanted,even though tthey
said No. I just wanted to look at whatever one lever kitchen faucets
they had. I've been to the store. They have about 10 models.

Eric

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Kevin_S

I ended up using a white triple light switch cover. I made a few
modifications to it, mounted the t-stat to it, and then mounted the
whole thing to the wall. It covered the old hole nicely, and the
t-stat is centered and doesn't look out of place or anything. Total
cost $2.22.