HvacTech2

Hi Bruce, hope you are having a nice day

On 15-Feb-05 At About 07:59:12, Bruce wrote to All
Subject: York Furnace Problem

B From: Bruce

B I've got a 9 year old natural gas York downflow furnace, with a
B set-back thermostat. I don't have the capacity in front of me, but
B it heats a 5 bedroom house.

B It's been working just fine, until a few months ago. When the
B thermostat calls for heat, sometimes it won't go on. Nothing. If I
B take off the blower cover panel, and press and hold in the momentary
B blower lockout switch, it will go on. When I release the switch,
B it goes off, as it should, since this switch is inteded to turn the
B furnace off when the blower cover panel is removed. I then put the
B panel back on, which depress and holds in the switch (as long as the
B panel is on - which is during normal use), and the furnace goes on
B fine and heats the house to the set tempeerature.

B When the house tempereature drops below the set point, and the
B thermostat calls for heat, 'usually' the furnace goes on. But, when
B it doesn't, I repeat the steps above, and it's comes back on.
B Sometimes it'll go for a week without any failures, but sometimes it
B will fail many times in a row.

B I jumped the thermostat, and tried a new thermostat, and have
B determined this is not the problem.

B To take the blower lockout switch out of the equation, I installed a
B new one, and wired it for always closed, but the same problem
B occurs. If I push and release (sometimes it has to be done
B repeatedly during a failure) the switch, opening and closing the
B circuit, the furnace will come on. It will always come on; sometimes
B one push, sometimes many.

B I had a repairman out (very reputable company), and he suspected the
B control module. A new module was ordered, and a week later another
B fellow brought it out to install it, only to find it was the wrong
B part. Not all bad though, because this fellow isn't all that sure
B that the control module is the problem. He jumped the thermostat
B at the control module, and every time he jumped it there, the
B furnace came on. He thinks maybe a gas control valve, but says that
B the first repairman should be able to nail down the problem.
B Is this true, or is this a 'replace parts until it's fixed' job?

B One more bit of info: I don't remember for certain, but when the
B first repairman was out, I do think there was one or two times when
B he jumped the thermostat at the control module and the furnace didn't
B come on.

B The next time the furnace doesn't come on (tonight), I am going to
B jump the thermostat at the control module and see if it does come on.

B What really has got me stumped is that when it fails, one or more
B pushes on the (new or old) blower lockout switch will make it work.
B Everytime.

B Any ideas?

What is happening is called a lockout. when you remove the door you are
resetting the control. you would get the same result by turning the wall
safety switch off then back on. there is no way to troubleshoot the problem
over the net so you should let the company you called figure it out. they
should be able to do this without changing unneeded parts.

-= HvacTech2 =-

... *IT IS* documented, look under "For Internal Use Only."

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
Bruce

Default York Furnace Problem

I've got a 9 year old natural gas York downflow furnace, with a set-back
thermostat. I don't have the capacity in front of me, but it heats a 5
bedroom house.

It's been working just fine, until a few months ago. When the thermostat
calls for heat, sometimes it won't go on. Nothing. If I take off the
blower cover panel, and press and hold in the momentary blower lockout
switch, it will go on. When I release the switch, it goes off, as it
should, since this switch is inteded to turn the furnace off when the
blower cover panel is removed. I then put the panel back on, which
depress and holds in the switch (as long as the panel is on - which is
during normal use), and the furnace goes on fine and heats the house to
the set tempeerature.

When the house tempereature drops below the set point, and the thermostat
calls for heat, 'usually' the furnace goes on. But, when it doesn't, I
repeat the steps above, and it's comes back on. Sometimes it'll go for a
week without any failures, but sometimes it will fail many times in a
row.

I jumped the thermostat, and tried a new thermostat, and have determined
this is not the problem.

To take the blower lockout switch out of the equation, I installed a new
one, and wired it for always closed, but the same problem occurs. If I
push and release (sometimes it has to be done repeatedly during a
failure) the switch, opening and closing the circuit, the furnace will
come on. It will always come on; sometimes one push, sometimes many.

I had a repairman out (very reputable company), and he suspected the
control module. A new module was ordered, and a week later another
fellow brought it out to install it, only to find it was the wrong part.
Not all bad though, because this fellow isn't all that sure that the
control module is the problem. He jumped the thermostat at the control
module, and every time he jumped it there, the furnace came on. He
thinks maybe a gas control valve, but says that the first repairman
should be able to nail down the problem. Is this true, or is this a
'replace parts until it's fixed' job?

One more bit of info: I don't remember for certain, but when the first
repairman was out, I do think there was one or two times when he jumped
the thermostat at the control module and the furnace didn't come on.

The next time the furnace doesn't come on (tonight), I am going to jump
the thermostat at the control module and see if it does come on.

What really has got me stumped is that when it fails, one or more pushes
on the (new or old) blower lockout switch will make it work. Everytime.

Any ideas?
Bubba

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 18:59:12 -0600, Bruce
wrote:

[...]

Pushing the blower door lockout switch is simply resetting the control
board/module. That clears the error until the error returns. You need
to find the error. Check to see if the module has a flashing error
code when it stops working BEFORE you kill the power to the furnace
again.
Bubba
Bruce

Bruce wrote in
7.136:

[...]

Ok. It failed. I removed the wall thermostat, and jumped it at the
control module. The furnace didn't go on. While still jumped, I pushed
the blower lockout switch in and out a few times, and the furnace came
on.

Bubba, the diagnostic light does not blink when a failure occurs. It
does have the blink codes shown on the side of the furnace, should I need
those. However, it does blink once each time the blower lockout switch
is pressed. I assume this is simply due to the reset.

HvacTech2, thanks for your reply. Yes, I certainly hope they can
diagnose rather than replace parts until it works, but I'm alread into
them for the initial visit at $95. Perhaps I should cut my losses and
get another company.

Thanks all,
Bruce
John B

Please clarify what you mean by "control module." Is that within the heater
chassis? Or is this something akin to a thermostat, as found in the living
space?
The "control module" in my forced-air heater is a complex thing. I suppose
I could simulate a closed thermostat circuit, at the control module. IT
seems your repair man did something like this.

"Bruce" wrote in message
7.136...
[...]

"Thermostat at control module" is unclear to me. I think you mean
"thermostat connection terminals at the control module."
Well, that tells me that the wiring between the thermostat, and the module,
is bad. After all, your actions upon the thermostat, in the living space,
were consistently ineffectual. Yet a similar action, with the lengthy
wiring between thermostat and control module REMOVED from the process, is
effective in consistently activating the heater.
You might have also had a bad control module; see below.

He jumped the thermostat at the control
module,

THAT'S THE NEW CONTROL MODULE, RIGHT?
and every time he jumped it there, the furnace came on. He
thinks maybe a gas control valve, but says that the first repairman
should be able to nail down the problem. Is this true, or is this a
'replace parts until it's fixed' job?

One more bit of info: I don't remember for certain, but when the first
repairman was out, I do think there was one or two times when he jumped
the thermostat at the control module and the furnace didn't come on.

That evidences a fault in the OLD control module, too.

The next time the furnace doesn't come on (tonight), I am going to jump
the thermostat at the control module and see if it does come on.

What really has got me stumped is that when it fails, one or more pushes
on the (new or old) blower lockout switch will make it work. Everytime.

So you've got either a flaky interlock switch, or it has shifted in its
mount, so that it does not get the right "signal" to change state when the
panel is closed. Is this switch a momentary, spring-loaded switch? Is it
Hall Effect (magnetically actuated)?
So it sounds like you have, or had, three problems.
Isolate the interlock switch by lifting its wires from the control module.
Then check its continuity, very carefully, under various conditions of panel
closure. There should be an unambiguous state change between panel *in
place* and panel *removed*.
The purpose of the interlock is to prevent operation when the unit is not
sealed up.
My residential forced-air heater was incapactitated by a panel, slightly
ajar. I had to drill and screw, so the panel would not vibrate away from
full closure.

Any ideas?

Bruce

"John B" wrote in :

Please clarify what you mean by "control module." Is that within the
heater chassis? Or is this something akin to a thermostat, as found
in the living space?
The "control module" in my forced-air heater is a complex thing. I
suppose I could simulate a closed thermostat circuit, at the control
module. IT seems your repair man did something like this.

Hi,

The control module, the term used in the furnace parts list, is indeed in
the chasis, inside the furnace. It's a pcb with transformers, relays,
etc. It is an integral part of the furnace.

Yes, the repairman simulted a closed thermostat condition.

Bruce

John B

Have voltmeter, will travel. Observe solenoid voltages. Are they activated
logically, upon jumping of t'stat terminals at control module?
Based on other comments, it sounds like your controller is being told to
"shut down"; but resetting controller erases that directive. Perhaps some
other safety sensor is faulty, or trying to tell you something.

"Bruce" wrote in message
7.136...
Bruce wrote in
7.136:

[...]

Bruce

"John B" wrote in :

Does your unit have electronic ignition? Do you hear interminable
sparking?

Yes, and no, in that order.

The furnace is in the garage. I'm always down there, esp. on cold
evenings, so I do notice that when the ignitor comes on, the gas flows, and
the burners light. No problem there.
John B

Your problem could be simple or complex. Let's hypothesize a simple case.
Suppose the high-tension cable that carries high voltage from the
controller, to the spark gap, is malfunctioning. A major argument against
this is that, according to you and Bubba, your action to reset the
controller by cycling the interlock switch invariably enabled the heater to
successfully operate. Yet if you were wrong on this point, then the simpler
potential faults gain new life.
Consider that your spark cable could be arcing to
ground...intermittently...perhaps based on proximity of the cable to a sharp
metal chassis edge...or even proximity of the cable to the flame sensor
wire. Thus the spark would not occur at the pilot site, the flame sensor
would disallow main burners to be fueled, etc.
You might have an overtemp sensor, or undertemp sensor, that is putting your
controller into a lock-out state.

You DID say that your repairman replace the controller, right? You ARE
presently using a new controller, right?

"Bruce" wrote in message
7.136...
"John B" wrote in :

Does your unit have electronic ignition? Do you hear interminable
sparking?

Yes, and no, in that order.

The furnace is in the garage. I'm always down there, esp. on cold
evenings, so I do notice that when the ignitor comes on, the gas flows,

and
the burners light. No problem there.

TURTLE

"HvacTech2" wrote in message

[...]

This is Turtle.

If you have read the replys by him and what the techs have said. The service
company has went to Plan B which is just Parts change it to death. If you got a
gas furnace locking out. It usely is not the board doing it and the tech has
said I don't know OK let's change the Board.

TURTLE

TURTLE

"Bruce" wrote in message
7.136...
Bruce wrote in
7.136:

[...]

Bruce your in Parts changing mode already . You might cut your loses and call a
recommended service company to look at it.

TURTLE

Bruce

No. I said:

"A new module was ordered, and a week later another
fellow brought it out to install it, only to find it was the wrong part."

The controller has not been replaced.

Bruce

Joseph

snip

B Any ideas?

What is happening is called a lockout. when you remove the door you are
resetting the control. you would get the same result by turning the wall
safety switch off then back on. there is no way to troubleshoot the

problem
over the net so you should let the company you called figure it out. they
should be able to do this without changing unneeded parts.

-= HvacTech2 =-

I think tech2 is right here, you'll need someone to look at it to do
the diagnosis. The york guys may be of more help if you were to give the M#
& S# of the unit...

.. *IT IS* documented, look under "For Internal Use Only."

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail

Tekkie

John B posted for all of us....

No **** geez
--