Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham. Graham. is offline

Default Dodgy digital TV - Mains problem?

"Peter Scott" wrote in message

tony sayer wrote:

Now most of North Norfolk isn't that well served by Taccy hence the
relay stations there;(....

Very true. I live in a dip at about 50 km from Tac. Some weather
conditions produce poor reception. I need high amplification - 26 dB
masthead and a distribution amp. Trouble is that when there is a freakily
good signal I get strange effects as well.

So I reckoned it was time to start again, with new aerials and masthead. I
have switched to a slightly longer 2 inch dia mast and am going to put it
on a higher part of the house. Hopefully all will be well then. I'll
experimentally screw the gain down to an acceptable level under worst
conditions to avoid the freaky stuff.

Does anyone know why terrestrial signal meters are so much more expensive
than those sold for satellite setup? I used to borrow one for setting up
but can't any more and I'm not going to lash out 250 pounds.

Peter Scott

Far from being optermised for reception wideband yagis are always
a compromise, simply because they are wideband.
There are situations where you have no choice but to use
a wideband due to the spread of channels allocated to a given
transmitter but this is not the case at Tacolneston.
You can understand the advantages of distributing these one-size-
fits-all aerials around the country, you need to go to a specilist
stockist to get a grouped aerial. I understand that the "semi wideband"
Group E is difficult to obtain, even to the trade.

A decent group C/D aerial would out-perform that Televes and
be smaller and lighter, it would also be "tuned" to the availible
DTT MUXs (and analouge channels), and be better able to
reject out-of-band signals such as TETRA.
To sum up that aerial may work perfectly, but it sounds like
your intention was to optimise your installation.
Ping Bill Wright on uk.tech.digital-tv if you want a more expert
opinion.

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%