Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham. Graham. is offline

Default Dodgy digital TV - Mains problem?

GMM wrote:
We live in a poor TV reception area (really must get a new aerial!),
so the digital will often go a bit dodgy. I notice, however, that it
always pauses when something electrical switches (lights, the fridge,
the heating etc). I doubt that it's the digital box, as this has
happened with both of two independent ones that we've had. Now, it
could be simply what happens when the signal is pretty marginal, but I
got to wondering whether it says something about the state of the
wiring. Just wondered whether anyone had any bright ideas?
Do you have a masthead amplifier? Its a little box fixed to the mast
outside about 1 metre down from the aerial. In some places the voltage
drops momentarily when something switches on. Hits me because I live at
the end of a long overhead line. This might cause the amp to stop amping
so much for a moment and cause the glitch.

Probably a good time to upgrade. If you are in a fringe area a Televes
wideband aerial (DAT 45 or 75) is probably the best bet with a Televes
masthead and PSU. Which reminds me to get out the scaffold tower and
install mine. Still in the box after four months!

Peter Scott

Why are you suggesting that the OP gets a wideband aerial when he
hasn't told us what transmitter he uses? A grouped aerial may be more
appropriate.
Incidently, which transmitter are you intending to point your Televes at?

Talcolnestone. Go on. Your are going to tell me it's no good for that!
Aaargh! At least I haven't fitted it yet.

'fraid so Peter. All Tacolneston channels, pre and post switch-over are
at the top end of the band, and a Group C/D aerial is best.
That means you can achieve the same or better gain and directivity
with an aerial a fraction of the weight, wind-loading, and, of course,
price.

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%