Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Screwfix tut

I needed to find a long bolt to take a wing-nut for a piece of equipment as
the tread has stripped.
Knew Screwfix would have one, but received no help whatsoever from the
staff. I was told to look in the catalogue. I knew neither the thread or
whether it would take a wing-nut.
I left and went to local DIY shop (Maxwells)
Heaps of bolts of all sizes in fixtures for me to try.
Bought several for 10p each.
Screw Screwfix
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim S
wrote
I needed to find a long bolt to take a wing-nut for a piece of equipment as
the tread has stripped.
Knew Screwfix would have one, but received no help whatsoever from the
staff. I was told to look in the catalogue. I knew neither the thread or
whether it would take a wing-nut.
I left and went to local DIY shop (Maxwells)
Heaps of bolts of all sizes in fixtures for me to try.
Bought several for 10p each.
Screw Screwfix

You wanted Screwfix to provide staff for perhaps 15/30 minutes for them
to get you samples of all their bolts for you to try at a cost of, say,
£2/3 so that you could purchase 20p of bolts?
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nature of the beast. It's a trade outlet.

Like all trade outlets, part of the reason they're cheaper is because
they don't tie up staff time on customers making low cost purchases.

Argos is the nearest to a retail business using a trade business
model. You don't get to fiddle with goods or get advice on them.
Customers don't have the opportunity to mix up or damage stock, tear
open boxes or shoplift stuff. Consequently Argos can be more price
competitive.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim S" wrote in message
I needed to find a long bolt to take a wing-nut for a piece of equipment as
the tread has stripped.
Knew Screwfix would have one, but received no help whatsoever from the
staff. I was told to look in the catalogue. I knew neither the thread or
whether it would take a wing-nut.
I left and went to local DIY shop (Maxwells)
Heaps of bolts of all sizes in fixtures for me to try.
Bought several for 10p each.
Screw Screwfix
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
www.jimscott.co.uk

Think about all the others in the queue you would keep waiting and annoy. I
had to stand in screwfix as some old woman was moaning about a wall light
and didn't have enough to pay - or didn't want to pay. She was told to pick
an alternative and wasted a lot of time having each product described and
shown to her - then left without buying anything.
The bolt sizes are in the catalogue AND on their WEBSITE! So you had no
excuse for not looking before you went.
I hate helpless people that expect everyone else to do everything for them.
I will never help anyone like that.
Why are so many people completely helpless now anyway? They seem unable to
know how to obtain phone numbers, addresses, company details, product
details and reviews etc. Most shouldn't be allowed out. I was even asked
for directions by some idiot that had a satnav stuck on his front window.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Nature of the beast. It's a trade outlet.

Like all trade outlets, part of the reason they're cheaper is because
they don't tie up staff time on customers making low cost purchases.

Argos is the nearest to a retail business using a trade business
model. You don't get to fiddle with goods or get advice on them.
Customers don't have the opportunity to mix up or damage stock, tear
open boxes or shoplift stuff. Consequently Argos can be more price
competitive.

So if the public don't shoplift it can only say one thing about who pinches
things from them. I have bought two products from Argos that had been
repackaged and sold as new although they were faulty and had previously been
returned. If Argos got shut of the "try before you bring it back" policy it
would be far better. It attracts a certain "type" of customer who will just
take what they can back for refunds.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim S wrote:
I needed to find a long bolt to take a wing-nut for a piece of equipment
as the tread has stripped. Knew Screwfix would have one, but received no
help whatsoever from the staff. I was told to look in the catalogue. I
knew neither the thread or whether it would take a wing-nut. I left and
went to local DIY shop (Maxwells) Heaps of bolts of all sizes in
fixtures for me to try. Bought several for 10p each. Screw Screwfix

It's a *catalogue* sales operation. They keep costs low by expecting *you*
to choose what you want from their catalogue. If you need help with things
like this you need to go to a traditional retailer. Where hopefully they
will have staff trained to help.

--
*Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

It's a *catalogue* sales operation.

And the staff in the Reading branch have always gone out of their way
to assist me whenever I've had similar questions. In fact it's set up
with three tills, a collection point and an info desk next to that.
Just go to the info desk and ask away. If it means going and getting
several items to check, or for you to look at, that's exactly what
they do.

Regards

Mark
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If it didn't work as a business model, they'd go out of business.
Clearly it works for them and the lower prices draw sufficient
customers, regardless of the downsides.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark A" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

It's a *catalogue* sales operation.

And the staff in the Reading branch have always gone out of their way
to assist me whenever I've had similar questions. In fact it's set up
with three tills, a collection point and an info desk next to that.
Just go to the info desk and ask away. If it means going and getting
several items to check, or for you to look at, that's exactly what
they do.

Regards

Mark

I hope I don't get in a queue behind such a "hunt the bolt" operation.

Such items should be bought from the local DIY shop whilst they still
exist - and whilst there - spend a bit of money to keep them in business -
they are invaluable. They tend of have stocks of items that are broke up
from large packs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim S wrote:
I needed to find a long bolt to take a wing-nut for a piece of equipment as
the tread has stripped.
Knew Screwfix would have one, but received no help whatsoever from the
staff. I was told to look in the catalogue. I knew neither the thread or
whether it would take a wing-nut.
I left and went to local DIY shop (Maxwells)
Heaps of bolts of all sizes in fixtures for me to try.
Bought several for 10p each.
Screw Screwfix

I really don't see what you're upset about. Screwfix do what they do
very well. They don't sell individual bolts, and can't help with the
kind of problem you have. Get over it.

--
Grunff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

I hope I don't get in a queue behind such a "hunt the bolt" operation.

That's why they have three main tills for the straightforward stuff.

Regards

Mark
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 14:44:39 +0000, Mark A wrote:

John wrote:

I hope I don't get in a queue behind such a "hunt the bolt" operation.

That's why they have three main tills for the straightforward stuff.

Regards

Mark

I didn't join the queues at the main tills, but asked a bloke who seemed to
be giving information. However since his information seemed to be "I don't
care" (at this point he didn't know whether I needed 1 bolt or 1000). Next
time when I do need 1000, Screwfix won't be my first stop.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
"Mark A" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

It's a *catalogue* sales operation.

And the staff in the Reading branch have always gone out of their way
to assist me whenever I've had similar questions. In fact it's set up
with three tills, a collection point and an info desk next to that.
Just go to the info desk and ask away. If it means going and getting
several items to check, or for you to look at, that's exactly what

Info desk? New one in Gillingham just has three tills, and a collection
point.

Perhaps we are smarter down in Kent?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 17:01:55 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

John wrote:
"Mark A" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

It's a *catalogue* sales operation.

And the staff in the Reading branch have always gone out of their way
to assist me whenever I've had similar questions. In fact it's set up
with three tills, a collection point and an info desk next to that.
Just go to the info desk and ask away. If it means going and getting
several items to check, or for you to look at, that's exactly what

Info desk? New one in Gillingham just has three tills, and a collection
point.

Perhaps we are smarter down in Kent?

Almost sortinly.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grunff" wrote in message
Jim S wrote:
I needed to find a long bolt to take a wing-nut for a piece of equipment
as
the tread has stripped.
Knew Screwfix would have one, but received no help whatsoever from the
staff. I was told to look in the catalogue. I knew neither the thread or
whether it would take a wing-nut.
I left and went to local DIY shop (Maxwells)
Heaps of bolts of all sizes in fixtures for me to try.
Bought several for 10p each.
Screw Screwfix

I really don't see what you're upset about. Screwfix do what they do very
well. They don't sell individual bolts, and can't help with the kind of
problem you have. Get over it.

--
Grunff

In my opinion. Screwfix offer a superb service. I ordered a
drill/screwdriver drill from them recently. It was delivered the next day
but unfortunately the Hi/Lo speed switch didn't work. After one phone call,
a replacement drill was delivered the very next day and the faulty item was
collected on the following day, all without any charge. The new drill is
twice as powerful as my old one, has two fast charge batteries and cost me
£5 less than I was quoted for replacement batteries for the old one (which
unfortunately was binned - minus the batteries of course) It's not top of
the range like a Makita or Dewalt but if it lasts me a year or two, I'll be
very happy.

BTW, I have a Black & Decker single speed mains drill (with a metal earthed
body) which is over 50 years old and is still in working condition after a
lot of hard use, both by my father and myself, without ever being repaired.
I wonder if B & D would be interested if they have a museum. Sadly, most
modern equipment seems to have built-in obsolescence.

Terry D.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BTW, I have a Black & Decker single speed mains drill (with a metal earthed
body) which is over 50 years old and is still in working condition after a
lot of hard use, both by my father and myself, without ever being repaired.
I wonder if B & D would be interested if they have a museum. Sadly, most
modern equipment seems to have built-in obsolescence.

A chap that was teaching me earlier this year had a 1960's B&D router
- lovely build quality and still a great tool.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon" wrote in message

8

Why are so many people completely helpless now anyway? They seem unable
to know how to obtain phone numbers, addresses, company details, product
details and reviews etc. Most shouldn't be allowed out. I was even asked
for directions by some idiot that had a satnav stuck on his front window.

Did you show him how to use it?
Most of them are bought by dickheads who can't see speed cameras and they
don't know how to use them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 12:47:16 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

BTW, I have a Black & Decker single speed mains drill (with a metal earthed
body) which is over 50 years old and is still in working condition after a
lot of hard use, both by my father and myself, without ever being repaired.
I wonder if B & D would be interested if they have a museum. Sadly, most
modern equipment seems to have built-in obsolescence.

Indeed - just like a lot of kitchen-type electric stuff. Once upon a
time you could buy replacement elements for kettles; nowadays you're
expected to simply throw a new kettle in the latest colour (pink?)
into your trolley at the horriblemarket.

A chap that was teaching me earlier this year had a 1960's B&D router
- lovely build quality and still a great tool.

My dad's first leccy drill was a Bridges (pre-Stanley Bridges) ¼"
single-speed (of course) thingy in a grey metal case. He had all sorts
of accessories such as a drill stand, a saw table, rubber and metal
sanding disks (ISTR that you stuck sandpaper on to the metal disk with
adhesive from a stick), lambswool polishing mops, et. al.
I burnt the machine out in about 1967, using a 2" or so holesaw in ¾"
chipboard. The machine just slowed down and emitted that awful smell
of overheating armature... He was away at sea, so I just 'lost' the
drill, and bought a B&D, which didn't fit any of the original
accessories, nor did it last five minutes.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 12:37:30 +0000, Jim S wrote:

I needed to find a long bolt to take a wing-nut for a piece of equipment as
the tread has stripped.
Knew Screwfix would have one, but received no help whatsoever from the
staff. I was told to look in the catalogue. I knew neither the thread or
whether it would take a wing-nut.
I left and went to local DIY shop (Maxwells)
Heaps of bolts of all sizes in fixtures for me to try.
Bought several for 10p each.
Screw Screwfix

Screwfix is not for people who need help with ordering supplies, nor for
people who want less than £50 of gear at a time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ed Sirett
writes

Screwfix is not for people who need help with ordering supplies,

right, I go to the web site, write down the codes & quantities and hand
the paper over the counter

nor for people who want less than £50 of gear at a time.

I've never had anything said when buying just one cheap item.

--
Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 18, 6:25 pm, Si $3o&m wrote:
In message , Ed Sirett
writes

Screwfix is not for people who need help with ordering supplies,

right, I go to the web site, write down the codes & quantities and hand
the paper over the counter

nor for people who want less than £50 of gear at a time.

I've never had anything said when buying just one cheap item.

Me neither, but I suspect Ed was referring to the web site rather than
the counters.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Nature of the beast. It's a trade outlet.

Like all trade outlets, part of the reason they're cheaper is because
they don't tie up staff time on customers making low cost purchases.

Argos is the nearest to a retail business using a trade business
model. You don't get to fiddle with goods or get advice on them.
Customers don't have the opportunity to mix up or damage stock, tear
open boxes or shoplift stuff. Consequently Argos can be more price
competitive.

I find Argos and "price competitive" to be mutually exclusive...

Screwfix --s-p-o-n-i-x-- UK diy 19 September 18th 05 10:29 PM
screwfix or b&q ? in2minds UK diy 5 October 27th 04 06:04 PM
Screwfix PoP UK diy 28 March 12th 04 09:19 PM
Screwfix Rick Dipper UK diy 18 January 9th 04 10:57 PM
Screwfix :-( Ian UK diy 13 September 3rd 03 06:15 PM