Posted to uk.d-i-y
A.Lee A.Lee is offline

Default Screwfix tut

wrote:

BTW, I have a Black & Decker single speed mains drill (with a metal earthed
body) which is over 50 years old and is still in working condition after a
lot of hard use, both by my father and myself, without ever being repaired.
I wonder if B & D would be interested if they have a museum. Sadly, most
modern equipment seems to have built-in obsolescence.

A chap that was teaching me earlier this year had a 1960's B&D router
- lovely build quality and still a great tool.

You know, for the first time in 5 years, I got out my 1990's B+D Quattro
drill (my battery drills only have 10mm chucks, and I needed a 13mm hole
through wood).
It was a revelation - totally smooth, and powerful - I use both Dewalt
and Bosch cordless drills, and they were both put in the shade by this
15 yo+ drill.
I ws going to sell it, as it is virtually never used now that I have a
cordless SDS drill, but will now be keeping it for the bigger drilling
through wood.
Alan.