Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Light Switches and Power points in extension - height?

Group,

I'm aware of the regulations that don't allow you to put light
switches high up where young children can't reach them, but require
them to be at a level where visiting wheelchair users can switch
lights on and off to their heart's content. I believe power points
have to be slightly higher than was typical in older properties.

What do the regulations say concerning an extension to an existing
(1950s) house? Can I (or a suitable part-P qualified electrician) put
the light switches and power points at whatever height I want in the
extension (e.g. at the same height as in the original house), or do
they have to be at the new regulated height?

Cheers,
David.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Aug, 11:04, Lurch wrote:
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 02:52:44 -0700,
mused:

Group,

I'm aware of the regulations that don't allow you to put light
switches high up where young children can't reach them, but require
them to be at a level where visiting wheelchair users can switch
lights on and off to their heart's content. I believe power points
have to be slightly higher than was typical in older properties.

What do the regulations say concerning an extension to an existing
(1950s) house? Can I (or a suitable part-P qualified electrician) put
the light switches and power points at whatever height I want in the
extension (e.g. at the same height as in the original house), or do
they have to be at the new regulated height?

Put the at whatever height you want.

Thank you. I will.

My problem Lurch is that I recalled similar advice from you, to
someone else, here on this ng a couple of years ago. OK, that's not
the problem - my problem is that my architect is telling me otherwise.
I don't have the time+skill to do his job (though I'll probably do the
wiring), and I worry that building control / inspectors might be
equally difficult. Where does it say that extensions to old properties
are exempt?

(I only have the On Site Guide).

Cheers,
David.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
wrote:
Put the at whatever height you want.

Thank you. I will.

My problem Lurch is that I recalled similar advice from you, to
someone else, here on this ng a couple of years ago. OK, that's not
the problem - my problem is that my architect is telling me otherwise.
I don't have the time+skill to do his job (though I'll probably do the
wiring), and I worry that building control / inspectors might be
equally difficult. Where does it say that extensions to old properties
are exempt?

Wouldn't be the first time an architect doesn't know his arse from his
elbow. Until I see otherwise in writing from a reputable source only total
new builds have to conform to this stupid regulation. Waist high sockets
are a safety hazard through trailing cables and should only be allowed
where actually needed.

--
*El nino made me do it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Swapping light switches sam UK diy 3 September 1st 05 11:13 PM
Relocating light switches virtually? Rich Heimlich Home Repair 12 July 21st 05 06:14 AM
Wireless light switches Simon Pawson UK diy 4 November 27th 04 09:44 PM
Light Switches and Sockets Faz UK diy 3 October 26th 04 08:20 PM
Live-ish light switches Max Christian UK diy 27 October 5th 04 08:13 AM