Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] davidrobinson@postmaster.co.uk is offline

Default Light Switches and Power points in extension - height?

On 20 Aug, 11:04, Lurch wrote:
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 02:52:44 -0700,
mused:

Group,

I'm aware of the regulations that don't allow you to put light
switches high up where young children can't reach them, but require
them to be at a level where visiting wheelchair users can switch
lights on and off to their heart's content. I believe power points
have to be slightly higher than was typical in older properties.

What do the regulations say concerning an extension to an existing
(1950s) house? Can I (or a suitable part-P qualified electrician) put
the light switches and power points at whatever height I want in the
extension (e.g. at the same height as in the original house), or do
they have to be at the new regulated height?

Put the at whatever height you want.

Thank you. I will.

My problem Lurch is that I recalled similar advice from you, to
someone else, here on this ng a couple of years ago. OK, that's not
the problem - my problem is that my architect is telling me otherwise.
I don't have the time+skill to do his job (though I'll probably do the
wiring), and I worry that building control / inspectors might be
equally difficult. Where does it say that extensions to old properties
are exempt?

(I only have the On Site Guide).

Cheers,
David.