DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Light Switches and Power points in extension - height? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/211477-light-switches-power-points-extension-height.html)

[email protected] August 20th 07 10:52 AM

Light Switches and Power points in extension - height?

Group,

I'm aware of the regulations that don't allow you to put light
switches high up where young children can't reach them, but require
them to be at a level where visiting wheelchair users can switch
lights on and off to their heart's content. I believe power points
have to be slightly higher than was typical in older properties.

What do the regulations say concerning an extension to an existing
(1950s) house? Can I (or a suitable part-P qualified electrician) put
the light switches and power points at whatever height I want in the
extension (e.g. at the same height as in the original house), or do
they have to be at the new regulated height?

Cheers,
David.

Lurch August 20th 07 11:04 AM

Light Switches and Power points in extension - height?

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 02:52:44 -0700,
mused:

Group,

I'm aware of the regulations that don't allow you to put light
switches high up where young children can't reach them, but require
them to be at a level where visiting wheelchair users can switch
lights on and off to their heart's content. I believe power points
have to be slightly higher than was typical in older properties.

What do the regulations say concerning an extension to an existing
(1950s) house? Can I (or a suitable part-P qualified electrician) put
the light switches and power points at whatever height I want in the
extension (e.g. at the same height as in the original house), or do
they have to be at the new regulated height?

Put the at whatever height you want.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

[email protected] August 20th 07 01:33 PM

On 20 Aug, 11:04, Lurch wrote:
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 02:52:44 -0700,
mused:

Group,

I'm aware of the regulations that don't allow you to put light
switches high up where young children can't reach them, but require
them to be at a level where visiting wheelchair users can switch
lights on and off to their heart's content. I believe power points
have to be slightly higher than was typical in older properties.

What do the regulations say concerning an extension to an existing
(1950s) house? Can I (or a suitable part-P qualified electrician) put
the light switches and power points at whatever height I want in the
extension (e.g. at the same height as in the original house), or do
they have to be at the new regulated height?

Put the at whatever height you want.

Thank you. I will.

My problem Lurch is that I recalled similar advice from you, to
someone else, here on this ng a couple of years ago. OK, that's not
the problem - my problem is that my architect is telling me otherwise.
I don't have the time+skill to do his job (though I'll probably do the
wiring), and I worry that building control / inspectors might be
equally difficult. Where does it say that extensions to old properties
are exempt?

(I only have the On Site Guide).

Cheers,
David.

Dave Plowman (News) August 20th 07 02:03 PM

Light Switches and Power points in extension - height?

In article . com,
wrote:
Put the at whatever height you want.

Thank you. I will.

My problem Lurch is that I recalled similar advice from you, to
someone else, here on this ng a couple of years ago. OK, that's not
the problem - my problem is that my architect is telling me otherwise.
I don't have the time+skill to do his job (though I'll probably do the
wiring), and I worry that building control / inspectors might be
equally difficult. Where does it say that extensions to old properties
are exempt?

Wouldn't be the first time an architect doesn't know his arse from his
elbow. Until I see otherwise in writing from a reputable source only total
new builds have to conform to this stupid regulation. Waist high sockets
are a safety hazard through trailing cables and should only be allowed
where actually needed.

--
*El nino made me do it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

John Rumm August 20th 07 02:07 PM

wrote:

What do the regulations say concerning an extension to an existing
(1950s) house? Can I (or a suitable part-P qualified electrician) put
the light switches and power points at whatever height I want in the
extension (e.g. at the same height as in the original house), or do
they have to be at the new regulated height?

Part M only applies to new builds IIUC. So if you follow the rule of
making things no less accessible than they were in the first place you
should be fine.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |

Hugo Nebula August 20th 07 02:27 PM

Light Switches and Power points in extension - height?

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 05:33:23 -0700, a particular chimpanzee,
randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

my problem is that my architect is telling me otherwise.
I don't have the time+skill to do his job (though I'll probably do the
wiring), and I worry that building control / inspectors might be
equally difficult. Where does it say that extensions to old properties
are exempt?

In the Requirements of Part M (Access to and use of buildings). Go to
the Planning Portal website. Near the front of Approved Document M is
the legal requirement in green. Requirement M1 (Access and use) says,
"the requirements of this part do not apply to an extension of or a
material alteration to a dwelling". M2 and M3 only apply to
extensions to buildings other than dwellings. One caveat; the work
must not make the existing building any less compliant than before the
work was carried out, i.e., you can't replace existing sockets and
switches that comply with ones that don't.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"

Andy Hall August 20th 07 02:53 PM

On 2007-08-20 10:52:44 +0100, said:

Group,

I'm aware of the regulations that don't allow you to put light
switches high up where young children can't reach them, but require
them to be at a level where visiting wheelchair users can switch
lights on and off to their heart's content. I believe power points
have to be slightly higher than was typical in older properties.

What do the regulations say concerning an extension to an existing
(1950s) house? Can I (or a suitable part-P qualified electrician) put
the light switches and power points at whatever height I want in the
extension (e.g. at the same height as in the original house), or do
they have to be at the new regulated height?

Cheers,
David.

First point is that part P does not specify height of sockets, although
BS7671 (aka Wiring Regulations) does have things to say about cable
routings, especially when hidden.

The reference to socket heights is in part M of the Building
Regulations - in connection with access etc.

You are not required to put sockets at the specified heights in an
extension to an existing building as long as it doesn't make the
overall situation "worse" from the access perspective. In other words
if the existing building has sockets at part M heights, you have to do
the same in an extension, but not if they aren't.