sam

Default Swapping light switches

Greetings all

I've had some doors rehung indoors and need to move the light switches
as they are now hidden when the door opens.
I have access to the cabling in the loft but is this something that a
DIYer can do or do the new regulations require an electrician?
Thanks for your help

Sam

John Rumm

sam wrote:

I've had some doors rehung indoors and need to move the light switches
as they are now hidden when the door opens.
I have access to the cabling in the loft but is this something that a
DIYer can do or do the new regulations require an electrician?

You can do that since it does not fall under the new regulations (i.e.
it is a "minor work"). The exception would be if the switch were in a
bathroom or kitchen.

--
Cheers,

John.

david lang

John Rumm wrote:
You can do that since it does not fall under the new regulations (i.e.
it is a "minor work"). The exception would be if the switch were in a
bathroom or kitchen.

Hi John

So what jobs are OK and which aren't? I though that if it involved a new
cable it was banned by the Part P Gestapo. So changing a switch/socket for
a new one was OK. but as the OP want's to move the switches to the other
side of the door opening it must involve a new cable?

Dave

John Rumm

david lang wrote:

So what jobs are OK and which aren't? I though that if it involved a new
cable it was banned by the Part P Gestapo. So changing a switch/socket for
a new one was OK. but as the OP want's to move the switches to the other
side of the door opening it must involve a new cable?

AIUI the following are OK:

1 Changing accessories

2 Adding a spur to existing circuit power circuit

3 Adding socket to existing ring

4 Replacing a cable section in an existing circuit

5 Adding a lighting point or switch

6 Any amount of life threatening bodgery with "appliances", extension
leads, multiway adaptors

7 Changing a CU fuse, resetting MCB etc.

Things verboten under possible penalty of being shoved up the orifice of
the deputy prime minister include:

8 Adding a complete new circuit (even if it is the better/safer
alternative to copious application of 2 and 3 above)

9 Work in restricted locations[1] (i.e. bathroom and kitchen [2])

10 Work that messes with the CU, Meter, Tails etc (although again open
to discussion if you want to do 4 above on the first/last section of a
circuit).

11 Upgrading earth bonding to modern standards - not because it is in
itself dangerous, but because it would normally required some of 9 above.

[1] Some debate as to if changing an accessory like for like is allowed
[2] Work in a bedroom with on-suite facilities may or may not be covered
depending on the wind direction

So all in all a bit of a dogs breakfast!

--
Cheers,

John.

Replacing light controlled by 2 switches [email protected] Home Repair 6 August 21st 05 02:25 AM
changing a light bulb Joe Home Repair 6 March 8th 04 07:30 PM
Light bulb malfunction Oldylocks Home Repair 12 February 5th 04 02:51 PM
strange problem connecting light to dimmer John Hunter Home Repair 6 January 19th 04 08:57 PM
Light Bulb Stormin Mormonn Home Repair 19 December 10th 03 04:28 AM