Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default SDS newbie question: why does chisel rotate?

Half the group are laughing, thinking I didn't switch the rotary stop
on.
But I did, honest.

Anyway, I switch it to chisel mode, and chisel away at the wall. This
works well on the whole, but the chuck slowly rotates, so the flat
plane of the chisel does not stay where I want it to. It does not
rotate unprovoked, but only when a torque is applied, e.g. when
chiselling against a bump.

Is this meant to happen? Or is it broken? Or am I doing something
wrong? Or something else?

Thanks!
David P.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
myheadisonbackwards writes:

Half the group are laughing, thinking I didn't switch the rotary stop
on.
But I did, honest.

Anyway, I switch it to chisel mode, and chisel away at the wall. This
works well on the whole, but the chuck slowly rotates, so the flat
plane of the chisel does not stay where I want it to. It does not
rotate unprovoked, but only when a torque is applied, e.g. when
chiselling against a bump.

Is this meant to happen? Or is it broken? Or am I doing something
wrong? Or something else?

Not all SDS drills lock the rotation when in rotary stop mode.
However, I would say that one which generates rotary motion in
the way you describe is faulty or not fit for purpose.
If you said what make/model, someone may be able to confirm or
refute this as normal behaviour.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 12:17:55 -0700, myheadisonbackwards
mused:

Half the group are laughing, thinking I didn't switch the rotary stop
on.
But I did, honest.

Anyway, I switch it to chisel mode, and chisel away at the wall. This
works well on the whole, but the chuck slowly rotates, so the flat
plane of the chisel does not stay where I want it to. It does not
rotate unprovoked, but only when a torque is applied, e.g. when
chiselling against a bump.

Is this meant to happen? Or is it broken? Or am I doing something
wrong? Or something else?

Some do, some don't. In have one that does and one that doesn't, one's
a Makita and one's a DeWalt but I can't remember which is which. There
is a knack to guiding the chisel in the right direction and keeping it
fairly straight. If you fanny about with it and don;t just get stuck
in it does what it wants, you need to show it whats what.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

myheadisonbackwards wrote:
Half the group are laughing, thinking I didn't switch the rotary stop
on.
But I did, honest.

Anyway, I switch it to chisel mode, and chisel away at the wall. This
works well on the whole, but the chuck slowly rotates, so the flat
plane of the chisel does not stay where I want it to. It does not
rotate unprovoked, but only when a torque is applied, e.g. when
chiselling against a bump.

Is this meant to happen? Or is it broken? Or am I doing something
wrong? Or something else?

Thanks!
David P.

My 30 quid screwfix special does exactly the same thing. Haven't used it
for a while, but I seem to recall just holding the chisel would fix it.
Don't tell H&S.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ben Blaukopf" wrote in message
myheadisonbackwards wrote:
Half the group are laughing, thinking I didn't switch the rotary stop
on.
But I did, honest.

Anyway, I switch it to chisel mode, and chisel away at the wall. This
works well on the whole, but the chuck slowly rotates, so the flat
plane of the chisel does not stay where I want it to. It does not
rotate unprovoked, but only when a torque is applied, e.g. when
chiselling against a bump.

Is this meant to happen? Or is it broken? Or am I doing something
wrong? Or something else?

Thanks!
David P.

My 30 quid screwfix special does exactly the same thing. Haven't used it
for a while, but I seem to recall just holding the chisel would fix it.
Don't tell H&S.

IMHO; using a SDS chisel (bit) and the SDS drill (rotary stop) is just like
using a manual chisel and lump hammer. I hold and guide the chisel with my
left hand while the SDS drill body is supplying the 'thumping' (technical
term) that the hammer would produce: It's less tiring and more accurate as
the bit thumper produces more effort and faster than one can hit a chisel
with a hammer. It's very heartening to discover just how much heavy thumping
and delicate tapping can be produce from one tool.

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

myheadisonbackwards wrote:

Is this meant to happen? Or is it broken? Or am I doing something
wrong? Or something else?

It is a known problem with (typically) the budget SDS drills, and indeed
some of the older quality brands. Better ones allow the rotation to be
locked off, and the best will allow you to set the angle of the chisel
before locking it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
myheadisonbackwards wrote:
Half the group are laughing, thinking I didn't switch the rotary stop
on.
But I did, honest.

Anyway, I switch it to chisel mode, and chisel away at the wall. This
works well on the whole, but the chuck slowly rotates, so the flat
plane of the chisel does not stay where I want it to. It does not
rotate unprovoked, but only when a torque is applied, e.g. when
chiselling against a bump.

Is this meant to happen? Or is it broken? Or am I doing something
wrong? Or something else?

Sounds like the design of some lower end models. My DeWalt allows the
chisel to be locked in a variety of positions.

--
*What am I? Flypaper for freaks!?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
myheadisonbackwards wrote:

Is this meant to happen? Or is it broken? Or am I doing something
wrong? Or something else?

It is a known problem with (typically) the budget SDS drills, and indeed
some of the older quality brands. Better ones allow the rotation to be
locked off, and the best will allow you to set the angle of the chisel
before locking it.

Even the cheapest lock if you use a bit of coathanger and a wire tie.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Aug, 00:20, John Rumm wrote:
myheadisonbackwards wrote:
Is this meant to happen? Or is it broken? Or am I doing something
wrong? Or something else?

It is a known problem with (typically) the budget SDS drills, and indeed
some of the older quality brands. Better ones allow the rotation to be
locked off, and the best will allow you to set the angle of the chisel
before locking it.

Thanks for your advice everyone.

My SDS is fairly cheapo - Black and Decker, cost
£65. Looks like it just does not have rotary lock.
Still, it will do - I almost bought one that did not
even have rotary stop, not realising that some of them
do not have it.

Regards,
DP (the OP)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Aug, 08:34, "dennis@home" wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message

myheadisonbackwards wrote:

Is this meant to happen? Or is it broken? Or am I doing something
wrong? Or something else?

It is a known problem with (typically) the budget SDS drills, and indeed
some of the older quality brands. Better ones allow the rotation to be
locked off, and the best will allow you to set the angle of the chisel
before locking it.

Even the cheapest lock if you use a bit of coathanger and a wire tie.

Interesting. How do you do this?

Thanks,
David P (the OP)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"myheadisonbackwards" wrote in
message oups.com...
"John Rumm" wrote in message

myheadisonbackwards wrote:

Is this meant to happen? Or is it broken? Or am I doing something
wrong? Or something else?

It is a known problem with (typically) the budget SDS drills, and
indeed
some of the older quality brands. Better ones allow the rotation to be
locked off, and the best will allow you to set the angle of the chisel
before locking it.

Even the cheapest lock if you use a bit of coathanger and a wire tie.

Interesting. How do you do this?

You bend it around the chisel/chuck and a suitable spot on the drill.
It has to have enough spring in it to cope with the small amount of movement
you get with the hammer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

myheadisonbackwards wrote:

My SDS is fairly cheapo - Black and Decker, cost
£65. Looks like it just does not have rotary lock.
Still, it will do - I almost bought one that did not
even have rotary stop, not realising that some of them
do not have it.

My £200 Dewalt doesnt have a lock either, which rather surprised me, but
being as I bought it as a drill, it didnt really concern me.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
A.Lee wrote:
My SDS is fairly cheapo - Black and Decker, cost
£65. Looks like it just does not have rotary lock.
Still, it will do - I almost bought one that did not
even have rotary stop, not realising that some of them
do not have it.

My £200 Dewalt doesnt have a lock either, which rather surprised me, but
being as I bought it as a drill, it didnt really concern me.

Which model? I thought they all had locks if they have rotation stop.

--
*Why isn't there a special name for the back of your knee?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
A.Lee wrote:
My SDS is fairly cheapo - Black and Decker, cost
£65. Looks like it just does not have rotary lock.
Still, it will do - I almost bought one that did not
even have rotary stop, not realising that some of them
do not have it.

My £200 Dewalt doesnt have a lock either, which rather surprised me, but
being as I bought it as a drill, it didnt really concern me.

Which model? I thought they all had locks if they have rotation stop.

18v XRP, model no.DW999 iirc.
It's yellow if that helps! :-)
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 19:39:48 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
mused:

In article ,
A.Lee wrote:
My SDS is fairly cheapo - Black and Decker, cost
£65. Looks like it just does not have rotary lock.
Still, it will do - I almost bought one that did not
even have rotary stop, not realising that some of them
do not have it.

My £200 Dewalt doesnt have a lock either, which rather surprised me, but
being as I bought it as a drill, it didnt really concern me.

Which model? I thought they all had locks if they have rotation stop.

DeWalt or in general? In general, not all do.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lurch wrote:
My £200 Dewalt doesnt have a lock either, which rather surprised me,
but being as I bought it as a drill, it didnt really concern me.

Which model? I thought they all had locks if they have rotation stop.

DeWalt or in general? In general, not all do.

Turns out it's a cordless. Not surprised they don't encourage you too use
it as a chisel.

--
Is the hardness of the butter proportional to the softness of the bread?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
A.Lee wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
A.Lee wrote:
My SDS is fairly cheapo - Black and Decker, cost
£65. Looks like it just does not have rotary lock.
Still, it will do - I almost bought one that did not
even have rotary stop, not realising that some of them
do not have it.

My £200 Dewalt doesnt have a lock either, which rather surprised me,
but being as I bought it as a drill, it didnt really concern me.

Which model? I thought they all had locks if they have rotation stop.

18v XRP, model no.DW999 iirc.
It's yellow if that helps! :-)

Ah - a cordless. Didn't consider those.

--
*Remember not to forget that which you do not need to know.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 22:59:08 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
mused:

In article ,
Lurch wrote:
My £200 Dewalt doesnt have a lock either, which rather surprised me,
but being as I bought it as a drill, it didnt really concern me.

Which model? I thought they all had locks if they have rotation stop.

DeWalt or in general? In general, not all do.

Turns out it's a cordless. Not surprised they don't encourage you too use
it as a chisel.

My Makita 24V with rotary stop locks.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Kenmore dryer's drum won't rotate [email protected] Home Repair 10 November 10th 06 05:34 AM
Shower head wont rotate Abe Home Repair 3 July 9th 05 04:18 PM
How do I rotate the universal table on a K&T 2K ? AL Metalworking 1 June 30th 05 09:35 AM
Rotate Your Stock George Woodturning 5 May 12th 05 06:25 PM
Chisel question Joe Gorman Woodworking 0 October 27th 04 02:34 PM