Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kenmore dryer's drum won't rotate

I have a Kenmore dryer model no. 110.96588210 (11 years without a
single failure - up until now).

About 2 weeks ago, it stopped heating. Quick troubleshooting revealed a
broken heating element. I replaced it, took out all lint from that
internal area and everything seemed to be working again.

But after a week, I heard the motor attempting to perform its last turn
and then... shut-off. Thereafter, any attempt to restart the dryer,
will sound a motor trying to rotate something that is mechanically
stuck.

Indeed, during this "lucky week" in which I had the dryer working, I
heard the drum beating about once every rotation. I told my wife: "uh
oh, I think the ball bearings are gone.".

However, I have no clue wether indeed the ball bearings are gone or
whether it even this model has ball bearings.

Theoretically, yes - the motor could have gone - but my hunch tells me
it is not the motor, but rather some kind of a mechanical problem.
Moreover, when I try to rotate the drum by hand, it does not rotate
easily at all...

Any tips or ideas about how to further troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Open the unit and look at the belt, maybe broken, but most likely the
roller/rollers need to be replaced. I did mine about 4yrs ago. I
don't think it cost alot and it was simple to do. While you have it
apart I would replace the rollers and the belt. This is what I did and
I think the dryer was about the same age. The dryer is still running
and we bought it back in 1985.

-paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Open the unit and look at the belt, maybe broken, but most likely the
roller/rollers need to be replaced. I did mine about 4yrs ago. I
don't think it cost alot and it was simple to do. While you have it
apart I would replace the rollers and the belt. This is what I did and
I think the dryer was about the same age. The dryer is still running
and we bought it back in 1985.

Wow! Paul, thank you so much for your quick answer. Indeed it helped me
progress with my troubleshooting: I removed the lint filter assembly (I
have what repairclinic.com calls "Electric Whirlpool Style Version 2")
and was able to look closely at the various mechanical parts. There was
A LOT of lint & hair still remaining there...

So, I removed some of it and especially cleaned the rollers. I
reconnected to see whether it changes anything and, sure enough, the
motor runs and rotates the drum.

However, this "beating noise" is till there and I know this is a sign
for a more serious failure waiting to happen... (the last thing I want
is a burning motor).

So, I think I will take your advice and while at that replace whatever
needs to be replaced.

One question, though: How do I access the back roller? My arms are
relatively short and I was having hard time reaching the back roller
for lint removal, which means I will need more clearance to reach that
part. Do I have to remove the drum? What is the proper way to do so?

For your reference, I am providing a URL to a drawing that is
remarkably identical to my dryer:
http://www.repairclinic.com/0100_16.asp

Thanks!
Sam

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

You'll just have to pay attention to how the unit comes apart, but I
beleive I took the drum out. Once out, I then replaced the rollers.
Like I said, it's a simple job, but pay attention to how the unit comes
apart and put it back together the way you took it apart.

I'm 99.99% sure it's the rollers. My dryer was banging also and I
replaced the rollers. Take the part number down to a shop for the
replacement parts. Then, with parts in hand, take the machine apart
and put it back together.

-paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Unfortunately, I celebrated too early: While I was able to take out the
drum and confirm that the 2 back rollers are indeed stuck (due to lots
of lint & hair in there), I found no easy way of accessing the nuts at
the back that will allow me to remove them...

The back seems to be covered by yet another cover and removing screws
that seem to hold the back cover to the back frame doesn't help much
because... it seems like that two back parts are "glued" together. I am
afraid to do more damage than good, so I am back here, to consult
regarding what do in such case.

OK - I found the "trick": There is no way around this without removing
the drum completely. I was afraid to even touch the belt, but once I
decided this is the right thing to do I simply did it, paying attention
to how the belt was placed around the bottom pulley, so that I remember
how to replace it.

Once the drum was out, I had access to the rollers and boy how stuck it
was: not only it was full of lint & hair, it was also stuck to the
shaft (I mistkanely called it "axel" earlier"). I used acetone to clean
all this stickents and now the rollers turn like new. There is no need
to buy new ones, so I saved about extra $50.

Now I have to put everything back. We'll see how this goes. I am
documenting here every step, so that others like me who google for a
solution, will find this. I decided to start fixing my appliances
myself after SEARS charged me $239 for 20 minutes replacing the fan in
my Kenmore refrigerator... I think that even a Ph.D. doesn't earn that
much as an hourly rate...

Thanks,
Sam

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Summary/Conclusion (after I managed to complete the repair to my
(wife's) satisfaction):

In the process of attempting to remvoe the rollers to replace them, I
discovered that... none of them needed replacement. It turns out that
in addition to the lint & hair in all 4 rollers, the 2 back rollers
couldn't rotate because there was some sticky material between them and
the shafts. I bet this is old oil that has been "baked" for 11 years...
I used acetone to clean it and, sure enough, they were all rolling
again like new. So, I saved $50 (the cost of 4 new rollers).

The drum belt seems a little cracked, but I didn't order it yet. It
will have to wait for some other time (or when it tears apart -
whichever comes first).

Oh - and here is an important pictu

http://www.cheapapplianceparts.com/p...P-DRY-BELT.jpg

Paul, thank you so much!