Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Loo seat

Further to my post of a couple of weeks ago bemoaning the generally rather
fittings usually connecting loo seats with the pan, and wondering if there
was any alternative design - I've now discovered there is - in B & Q of all
places.

Having stood on my previous cheap white lid to do a job on the extractor fan
and fortuitously broken it (the seat not the fan), I have, for the grand sum
of £6.98 (less 10% geriatric discount) purchased a wooden "three piece" loo
seat, with a completely different, very logically designed fitting that is
very easy to install and looks very unlikely to start slipping, coming loose
or whatever. I won't even begin to explain it in words. The picture
doesn't really help either:

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/na...=1185429587289

but the "third piece" at the back of the seat covers, and is screwed on to,
a sturdy plastic block that is in turn attached to the pan. I hope it
works, but for £6.20 you can't really go wrong!

Keith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Keith Dunbar" wrote in message
[...]

Tell me more about geriatric discount!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Keith Dunbar" wrote in message
news
B & Q do 10% off on Wednesdays for over 60s. You have to bring in proof of
age and they give you a discount card to present at the check out.

Keith

That is about the size of it. I needed some plaster boards and plaster so I
took my Grandad shopping on a Wednesday to B&Q.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 16:30:12 GMT, "Keith Dunbar"
wrote:

B & Q do 10% off on Wednesdays for over 60s. You have to bring in proof of
age and they give you a discount card to present at the check out.

They are not that particular, they are promoting them at the moment.

If you look a bit decrepit they'll offer you one at the till. :-))

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Keith Dunbar wrote:
B & Q do 10% off on Wednesdays for over 60s. You have to bring in
proof of age and they give you a discount card to present at the
check out.

And a bloody nightmare it is as well. Every time I have to go to B&Q on
Wednesdays its packed full of coffin dodgers! Can't move for zimmer frames,
walking sticks and badly dressed pensioners. Takes ages to get through the
checkout.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Keith Dunbar wrote:
B & Q do 10% off on Wednesdays for over 60s. You have to bring in
proof of age and they give you a discount card to present at the
check out.

And a bloody nightmare it is as well. Every time I have to go to B&Q on
Wednesdays its packed full of coffin dodgers! Can't move for zimmer
frames, walking sticks and badly dressed pensioners. Takes ages to get
through the checkout.

Use the trade counter.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Keith Dunbar" wrote in message
news
B & Q do 10% off on Wednesdays for over 60s. You have to bring in proof of
age and they give you a discount card to present at the check out.

Keith

Thanks, I thought they'd stopped that. Worth considering ...

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

k...

Keith Dunbar wrote:
B & Q do 10% off on Wednesdays for over 60s. You have to bring in
proof of age and they give you a discount card to present at the
check out.

And a bloody nightmare it is as well. Every time I have to go to B&Q on
Wednesdays its packed full of coffin dodgers! Can't move for zimmer
frames, walking sticks and badly dressed pensioners. Takes ages to get
through the checkout.

Use the trade counter.

Yes - why is he going to B&Q anyway when he's a proper tradesman - who knows
everything :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 20:23:38 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
mused:

. uk...

Keith Dunbar wrote:
B & Q do 10% off on Wednesdays for over 60s. You have to bring in
proof of age and they give you a discount card to present at the
check out.

And a bloody nightmare it is as well. Every time I have to go to B&Q on
Wednesdays its packed full of coffin dodgers! Can't move for zimmer
frames, walking sticks and badly dressed pensioners. Takes ages to get
through the checkout.

Use the trade counter.

Yes - why is he going to B&Q anyway when he's a proper tradesman

Erm.....

Dave
The Medway Handyman

.......yeah.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Keith Dunbar" wrote in message
news
B & Q do 10% off on Wednesdays for over 60s. You have to bring in proof
of age and they give you a discount card to present at the check out.

Keith

Thanks, I thought they'd stopped that. Worth considering ...

There is nothing to consider. 10% off is 10% off. I also got my Grandad to
get assistance to help load the van as he suffers from arthritis and I had a
hangover. The staff were very obliging.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 20:10:28 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Keith Dunbar wrote:
B & Q do 10% off on Wednesdays for over 60s. You have to bring in
proof of age and they give you a discount card to present at the
check out.

And a bloody nightmare it is as well. Every time I have to go to B&Q on
Wednesdays its packed full of coffin dodgers! Can't move for zimmer frames,
walking sticks and badly dressed pensioners. Takes ages to get through the
checkout.

But there's a separate trade counter (at least in my local B&Q).

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Keith Dunbar wrote:
B & Q do 10% off on Wednesdays for over 60s. You have to bring in
proof of age and they give you a discount card to present at the
check out.

And a bloody nightmare it is as well. Every time I have to go to B&Q on
Wednesdays its packed full of coffin dodgers! Can't move for zimmer
frames, walking sticks and badly dressed pensioners. Takes ages to get
through the checkout.

Use the trade counter.

Our local branch doesn't have a trade counter - only in the
'superstores', I think.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Jul 2007 20:43:27 GMT, "Bob Eager" mused:

Keith Dunbar wrote:
B & Q do 10% off on Wednesdays for over 60s. You have to bring in
proof of age and they give you a discount card to present at the
check out.

And a bloody nightmare it is as well. Every time I have to go to B&Q on
Wednesdays its packed full of coffin dodgers! Can't move for zimmer
frames, walking sticks and badly dressed pensioners. Takes ages to get
through the checkout.

Use the trade counter.

Our local branch doesn't have a trade counter - only in the
'superstores', I think.

The 'Warehouse' versions.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Keith Dunbar wrote:
B & Q do 10% off on Wednesdays for over 60s. You have to bring in
proof of age and they give you a discount card to present at the
check out.

And a bloody nightmare it is as well. Every time I have to go to
B&Q on Wednesdays its packed full of coffin dodgers! Can't move
for zimmer frames, walking sticks and badly dressed pensioners. Takes
ages to get through the checkout.

Use the trade counter.

Yes - why is he going to B&Q anyway when he's a proper tradesman -
who knows everything :-)

Thats the second time you have said that - what gives you the idea I claim
to 'know everthing'?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-26 18:28:38 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
said:

"Keith Dunbar" wrote in message
news
B & Q do 10% off on Wednesdays for over 60s. You have to bring in
proof of age and they give you a discount card to present at the check
out.

Keith

That is about the size of it. I needed some plaster boards and plaster
so I took my Grandad shopping on a Wednesday to B&Q.

Adam

Gets about, doesn't he, your grandad....

With B&Q it would be a positive advantage. It sounds like he would be
very good at fending off the busybodies in the electrical and plumbing
aisles who accost customers looking for something and when told insist
that the customer needs something completely different and usually
unsuitable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 00:47:06 UTC, Anne Jackson
wrote:

Yes - why is he going to B&Q anyway when he's a proper tradesman - who
knows
everything :-)

He obviously doesn't know not to shop in B&Q on a Wednesday...

With respect, you don't know how he works. I'd surmise that he arrives
at a job on a Wednesday, to find that he needs something that couldn't
be foreseen.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

Gets about, doesn't he, your grandad....

With B&Q it would be a positive advantage. It sounds like he would be
very good at fending off the busybodies in the electrical and plumbing
aisles who accost customers looking for something and when told insist
that the customer needs something completely different and usually
unsuitable.

I don't go to B & Q very often (and the last time I came away empty
handed) but I have never been accosted in that manner. Could be of
course that my grey hair doesn't make me look distinguished, just even
more scruffy that their typical customers.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger" wrote in message
k...

I don't go to B & Q very often (and the last time I came away empty
handed) but I have never been accosted in that manner. Could be of
course that my grey hair doesn't make me look distinguished, just even
more scruffy that their typical customers.

Ah - that must be why people keep calling me "Roger" :-)

Mary

--
Roger Chapman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Keith Dunbar" wrote in message
news
B & Q do 10% off on Wednesdays for over 60s. You have to bring in proof
of age and they give you a discount card to present at the check out.

Keith

Thanks, I thought they'd stopped that. Worth considering ...

Focus do a pensioners 10% card too, and it can be used any day of the week.

--
Mike Clarke

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jal jal is offline

In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:
..
Yes - why is he going to B&Q anyway when he's a proper tradesman -
who knows everything :-)

Thats the second time you have said that - what gives you the idea I claim
to 'know everything'?

No, Dave mate -- you just give the impression that you know lots.

It's Mary who knows everything, as any fule kno, who reads UK Usenet.

;-)

john
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-26 18:28:38 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
said:

"Keith Dunbar" wrote in message
news
B & Q do 10% off on Wednesdays for over 60s. You have to bring in proof
of age and they give you a discount card to present at the check out.

Keith

That is about the size of it. I needed some plaster boards and plaster so
I took my Grandad shopping on a Wednesday to B&Q.

Adam

Gets about, doesn't he, your grandad....

I am delighted to say he gets about. He is 87 years old and has a new
girlfirend.

With B&Q it would be a positive advantage. It sounds like he would be
very good at fending off the busybodies in the electrical and plumbing
aisles who accost customers looking for something and when told insist
that the customer needs something completely different and usually
unsuitable.

I get 10% discount if he is with me in B&Q on a Wednesday. The trouble is on
a Wednesday he is eyeing up all the females aged over 60 who also have
discount cards.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from "The Medway Handyman"
contains these words:

Keith Dunbar wrote:
B & Q do 10% off on Wednesdays for over 60s. You have to bring in
proof of age and they give you a discount card to present at the
check out.

And a bloody nightmare it is as well. Every time I have to go to
B&Q on Wednesdays its packed full of coffin dodgers! Can't move for
zimmer frames,
walking sticks and badly dressed pensioners. Takes ages to get
through the checkout.

You're such an old grouch! Just think, with any luck, you'll be
a pensioner yourself, one day!

I have a cunning plan to drink myself to death before I become an old fart.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Keith Dunbar wrote:
B & Q do 10% off on Wednesdays for over 60s. You have to bring in
proof of age and they give you a discount card to present at the
check out.

And a bloody nightmare it is as well. Every time I have to go to
B&Q on Wednesdays its packed full of coffin dodgers! Can't move for
zimmer frames,
walking sticks and badly dressed pensioners. Takes ages to get
through the checkout.

You're such an old grouch! Just think, with any luck, you'll be
a pensioner yourself, one day!

I have a cunning plan to drink myself to death before I become an old
fart.

How old would you have to be to reach that state?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-27 19:35:27 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

Keith Dunbar wrote:
B & Q do 10% off on Wednesdays for over 60s. You have to bring in
proof of age and they give you a discount card to present at the
check out.

And a bloody nightmare it is as well. Every time I have to go to
B&Q on Wednesdays its packed full of coffin dodgers! Can't move for
zimmer frames,
walking sticks and badly dressed pensioners. Takes ages to get
through the checkout.

You're such an old grouch! Just think, with any luck, you'll be
a pensioner yourself, one day!

I have a cunning plan to drink myself to death before I become an old fart.

Too late.....

Ask for either the Dirty Old Man or Victor Meldrew starter kit for Christmas.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

B & Q do 10% off on Wednesdays for over 60s. You have to bring in proof of
age and they give you a discount card to present at the check out.

Keith

But only at the smaller B+Q's . The larger Warehouses reckon their
prices are already low .
Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 22:49:21 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

You're such an old grouch! Just think, with any luck, you'll be
a pensioner yourself, one day!

I have a cunning plan to drink myself to death before I become an old fart.

Too late.....

Ask for either the Dirty Old Man or Victor Meldrew starter kit for Christmas.

I think I must be (prematurely) becoming a 'grumpy old man'....

This week:

Tuesday: dust up (ongoing) with Barclaycard over problems with their
so-called 'fraud prevention' which caused me a lot of inconvenience.
Second level complaint ongoing.

Wednesday: CPC, for failing to pack a hard disk properly (continuation
of long saga). Still awaiting warehouse manager's response.

Thursday: Crucial, for screwing up a delivery and hitting the postal
strike. Still not resolved.

Friday: Council highways department, for coning and fencng off a large
chunk of our road earlier this week. Lots of extra traffic noise due to
congestion, also parking problems. I wouldn't mind, but the road surface
still hasn't even been touched. One workman to do coning, fencing and
signing, that's all.

Not sure it's just a bad week or I'm becoming more intolerant....!
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

B & Q do 10% off on Wednesdays for over 60s. You have to bring in proof
of
age and they give you a discount card to present at the check out.

Keith

But only at the smaller B+Q's . The larger Warehouses reckon their
prices are already low .
Stuart

When I first enquired about this I was told it wasn't all stores. But
recently they till me it is.

Keith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-28 00:24:52 +0100, "Bob Eager" said:

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 22:49:21 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

You're such an old grouch! Just think, with any luck, you'll be
a pensioner yourself, one day!

I have a cunning plan to drink myself to death before I become an old fart.

Too late.....

Ask for either the Dirty Old Man or Victor Meldrew starter kit for Christmas.

I think I must be (prematurely) becoming a 'grumpy old man'....

This week:

Tuesday: dust up (ongoing) with Barclaycard over problems with their
so-called 'fraud prevention' which caused me a lot of inconvenience.
Second level complaint ongoing.

Did you do some pattern of transactions that you don't normally do, or
perhaps some sequence that by time is unlikely?

I have contacts by Nat West's fraud prevention about every six months.
As a result of traveling a lot, there are quite large numbers of
transactions and throughput of money on my card. In the early days
of fraud detection systems, they weren't very sophisticated at all.
For example, I once had a card stop because of transactions in three
countries in a 24hr period. For me, that's not a regular occurence
but it does happen - my record is 5 countries in a day - but that was
enough to do it.

It seems that nowadays, the systems have become a lot more
sophisticated, so the frequency of contacts has reduced. What I do do
is to inform them before going to certain countries or before going to
one for the first time. The account is annotated for a period and no
problems.

I did have a recent occurence where my card number had been used to
make some fraudulent internet purchases (music and designer clothing).
All places that I haven't used before and I don't buy designer
clothing anyway. Only one transaction out of an attempted 8 actually
went through. Card was replaced. In this case the trader takes the
hit for not doing proper verification.

Wednesday: CPC, for failing to pack a hard disk properly (continuation
of long saga). Still awaiting warehouse manager's response.

I think you will wait for a long time. These people are just storemen
with a slightly elevated job title. I'd cut it short. Give them two
days to come up with a replacement and then contact the card company
and report it. Having the transaction backed out may get more
attention.

Thursday: Crucial, for screwing up a delivery and hitting the postal
strike. Still not resolved.

As in the memory people? These days, one of my purchasing criteria is
to go for suppliers who don't use Royal Mail or have an option not to
do so. Hopefully, if they continue to do stupid things like strikes
and drive yet more business into the hands of their competitors, they
will eventually go bust anyway and we'll all be a lot better off.

Friday: Council highways department, for coning and fencng off a large
chunk of our road earlier this week. Lots of extra traffic noise due to
congestion, also parking problems. I wouldn't mind, but the road surface
still hasn't even been touched. One workman to do coning, fencing and
signing, that's all.

Contact councillor and ask your neighbours to do so as well.

Not sure it's just a bad week or I'm becoming more intolerant....!

These are all things where there is no excuse (except perhaps
Barclaycard, but you didn't describe the circumstances).

Intolerance is the right way to deal with poor service that is not
immediately addressed. Asking for name and specific commitment on
when is a very good starting point. Keeping the acceptable timescale
uncomfortably but no unreasonably short, often instils a sense of
urgency that should have been there in the first place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 06:50:31 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

Did you do some pattern of transactions that you don't normally do, or
perhaps some sequence that by time is unlikely?

Well, their systems said so. The transaction in question was a CPC order
(which happens about once a week) 'Oh no, we don't look at the history
that far back'.

My gripe was that I didn't even know it had happened. I asked if they
planned to phone me to tell me, and they said 'yes, we do phone; your
outgoing call is in the queue and we will get to you in a few hours'.

Being contacted is one thing; having the card summarily blocked, without
notice or advice, is another.

Wednesday: CPC, for failing to pack a hard disk properly (continuation
of long saga). Still awaiting warehouse manager's response.

I think you will wait for a long time. These people are just storemen
with a slightly elevated job title. I'd cut it short. Give them two
days to come up with a replacement and then contact the card company
and report it. Having the transaction backed out may get more
attention.

Replacement arrived the next day, no problem.

Thursday: Crucial, for screwing up a delivery and hitting the postal
strike. Still not resolved.

As in the memory people? These days, one of my purchasing criteria is
to go for suppliers who don't use Royal Mail or have an option not to
do so. Hopefully, if they continue to do stupid things like strikes
and drive yet more business into the hands of their competitors, they
will eventually go bust anyway and we'll all be a lot better off.

I had a choice of courier, but RM were best because I wasn't necessarily
going to be in, and retrieval is easier with RM.

Contact councillor and ask your neighbours to do so as well.

Toothless round here. I will do, but gave them a chance to answer first.

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway Handyman
writes

Keith Dunbar wrote:
B & Q do 10% off on Wednesdays for over 60s. You have to bring in
proof of age and they give you a discount card to present at the
check out.

And a bloody nightmare it is as well. Every time I have to go to
B&Q on Wednesdays its packed full of coffin dodgers! Can't move for
zimmer frames,
walking sticks and badly dressed pensioners. Takes ages to get
through the checkout.

You're such an old grouch! Just think, with any luck, you'll be
a pensioner yourself, one day!

I have a cunning plan to drink myself to death before I become an old fart.

Just a plan ?

Keep up at the back mate

A pint of Pride here, please

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes
[...]

Then some jerk comes along and suggests we shouldn't post in a thread
when we don't have anything to contribute ...

It's not us, it's the rest of the world !

Kill 'em all

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-28 08:40:46 +0100, "Bob Eager" said:

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 06:50:31 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

Did you do some pattern of transactions that you don't normally do, or
perhaps some sequence that by time is unlikely?

Well, their systems said so. The transaction in question was a CPC order
(which happens about once a week) 'Oh no, we don't look at the history
that far back'.

Then they are stupid. I would look elsewhere.

My gripe was that I didn't even know it had happened. I asked if they
planned to phone me to tell me, and they said 'yes, we do phone; your
outgoing call is in the queue and we will get to you in a few hours'.

Being contacted is one thing; having the card summarily blocked, without
notice or advice, is another.

Absolutely. I had that happen once, some years ago. What they
should be doing if there is a suspicion of bogus transactions is to tag
the account for manual referral. In the UK and in most of the rest
of Europe, the trader gets a message to call the card centre who then
do a security check.

[...]

MP?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 22:04:21 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

MP?

He's already busy on another complicated matter for us...don't want to
overload him....

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-28 23:59:25 +0100, "Bob Eager" said:

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 22:04:21 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

MP?

He's already busy on another complicated matter for us...don't want to
overload him....

In that case highways department daily pestering. Squeaky wheel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-28 23:59:25 +0100, "Bob Eager" said:

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 22:04:21 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

MP?

He's already busy on another complicated matter for us...don't want to
overload him....

In that case highways department daily pestering. Squeaky wheel

Exactly what I'm doing. A van did turn up today. They rearranged the
cones a bit.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-28 23:59:25 +0100, "Bob Eager" said:

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 22:04:21 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

MP?

He's already busy on another complicated matter for us...don't want to
overload him....

In that case highways department daily pestering. Squeaky wheel

Exactly what I'm doing. A van did turn up today. They rearranged the
cones a bit.

As in Sunday morning?

Must be on double time.....

Shower seat. Dave Home Repair 1 June 13th 06 05:51 AM
SEAT IN A BOX J T Woodworking 0 November 13th 05 02:22 AM
Getting toilet seat off? souls UK diy 19 October 13th 05 01:50 PM
chair seat steve Woodworking 10 January 17th 05 05:12 PM