Posted to uk.local.scot-highlands,uk.rec.pets.misc,rec.pets.dogs.misc,ie.general,uk.d-i-y

Default sheepdog commands in Irish or Scots Gaelic?

Could someone tell me some main sheepdog commands in Irish or Scots
Gaelic?

I.e. what in English are "Away to Me", "Come Bye", etc.

Cheers!

John

Posted to uk.local.scot-highlands,uk.rec.pets.misc,rec.pets.dogs.misc,ie.general,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 15:18:39 -0700, John Nagelson
wrote:

Could someone tell me some main sheepdog commands in Irish or Scots
Gaelic?

I.e. what in English are "Away to Me", "Come Bye", etc.

Cheers!

John

'Come Bye' means "walk to my left"

'Away' means, would you believe, "walk to my right".

I don't know any others :-(

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.local.scot-highlands,uk.rec.pets.misc,rec.pets.dogs.misc,ie.general,uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Could someone tell me some main sheepdog commands in Irish or Scots
Gaelic?

I.e. what in English are "Away to Me", "Come Bye", etc.

Cheers!

John

'Come Bye' means "walk to my left"

'Away' means, would you believe, "walk to my right".

I don't know any others :-(

I know what they mean - I was asking for what the commands are in
Irish or Scots Gaelic! :-)

"Come Bye" also has the meaning of "move around the sheep clockwise",
with "Away" or "Away to Me" meaning "move around the sheep counter-
clockwise". Clever animals, those border collies!

Other commands in English a

"Stand" - stand still
"That'll Do" - return to handler
"Walk Up" - move straight towards sheep
"Get Back" or "Get Out" - keep or move further out to give the sheep
more room
"Lie Down" - self-explanatory, but can also mean slow down
"Look Back" - stop current working and turn around to look for more
sheep
"Take Time" - slow down

But I would love to know them in the Gaelic...

John

Posted to uk.local.scot-highlands,uk.rec.pets.misc,rec.pets.dogs.misc,ie.general,uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember John Nagelson
saying something like:

Could someone tell me some main sheepdog commands in Irish or Scots
Gaelic?

I.e. what in English are

"Away to Me",

"Gerightyefeckerye"

"Come Bye", etc.

"Gerovatheleftfeckerye"
--

Dave
Posted to uk.local.scot-highlands,uk.rec.pets.misc,rec.pets.dogs.misc,ie.general,uk.d-i-y
TJY TJY is offline

oups.com...

wrote:
Could someone tell me some main sheepdog commands in Irish or Scots
Gaelic?

I.e. what in English are "Away to Me", "Come Bye", etc.

Cheers!

John

"Stand" - stand still
"That'll Do" - return to handler
"Walk Up" - move straight towards sheep
"Get Back" or "Get Out" - keep or move further out to give the sheep
more room
"Lie Down" - self-explanatory, but can also mean slow down
"Look Back" - stop current working and turn around to look for more
sheep
"Take Time" - slow down

But I would love to know them in the Gaelic...

John

Use GOOGLE or any other search page and then a TRANSLATOR.
The dog will probably ignore you anyway, most clever ones will know what to
do with sheep.
Do you know any sheep dogs that understand Gaelic?

Posted to uk.local.scot-highlands,uk.rec.pets.misc,rec.pets.dogs.misc,ie.general,uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Ann an sgriobhainn, , sgriobh
Féachadóir
Scríobh "TJY" :
Do you know any sheep dogs that understand Gaelic?

My brother-in-law's father bought a dog a few years ago, perfect
breeding, but it wouldn't work, so he took it back to the trainer, who
told him the dog spoke Irish. Sure enough, once given commands As
Gaeilge, the dog performed as you'd expect from his pedigree.

I once knew a cat that spoke Welsh, and wouldn't respond to English.

Owain

My ex wife is from Slovakia and on one trip to Slovakia she spoke to her
Mum's dog in English and wondered why it would not sit. She had no idea what
she had done.

I also know a Welshman that speaks English perfectly well and will not
respond to English.

Adam

Posted to uk.local.scot-highlands,uk.rec.pets.misc,rec.pets.dogs.misc,ie.general,uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-08 19:46:42 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
said:

"Owain" wrote in message
Ann an sgriobhainn, ,
sgriobh Féachadóir
Scríobh "TJY" :
Do you know any sheep dogs that understand Gaelic?
My brother-in-law's father bought a dog a few years ago, perfect
breeding, but it wouldn't work, so he took it back to the trainer, who
told him the dog spoke Irish. Sure enough, once given commands As
Gaeilge, the dog performed as you'd expect from his pedigree.

I once knew a cat that spoke Welsh, and wouldn't respond to English.

Owain

My ex wife is from Slovakia and on one trip to Slovakia she spoke to
her Mum's dog in English and wondered why it would not sit. She had no
idea what she had done.

I also know a Welshman that speaks English perfectly well and will not
respond to English.

Adam

Neil Kinnock?

Posted to uk.local.scot-highlands,uk.rec.pets.misc,rec.pets.dogs.misc,ie.general,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 18:46:42 GMT, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

I once knew a cat that spoke Welsh, and wouldn't respond to English.

Owain

My ex wife is from Slovakia and on one trip to Slovakia she spoke to her
Mum's dog in English and wondered why it would not sit. She had no idea what
she had done.

I also know a Welshman that speaks English perfectly well and will not
respond to English.

I used to do servicing work at the Trawsfynydd Nuclear Power Station.

My English colleagues used to say that the barmaids at the local pub
always switched to talking in Welsh as soon as they entered. I noticed
that as well.

However, I had worked night shifts at a TV station when OU programmes
teaching the Welsh Language went out. It soon became clear to me that
they were discussing the fact that "someone" was pinching the toilet
rolls out of the "ladies", and it wasn't the Saesnegs {sassonachs}
that were the prime suspects, not the men at any rate.

DG

Posted to uk.local.scot-highlands,uk.rec.pets.misc,rec.pets.dogs.misc,ie.general,uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth"
saying something like:

I also know a Welshman that speaks English perfectly well and will not
respond to English.

Some of them are like that. A pat on the head and a biscuit might bring
them round.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.local.scot-highlands,uk.rec.pets.misc,rec.pets.dogs.misc,ie.general,uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth"
saying something like:

I also know a Welshman that speaks English perfectly well and will not
respond to English.

Some of them are like that. A pat on the head and a biscuit might bring
them round.

When I used to work as a security steward at outdoor events like the
races and stuff, I worked at the Brecon Jazz Festival. We used to work
the night shift and used to go for a few jars before starting. Here are
a couple of gems we heard:

'Is this coat your jacket?'
'Are you reading that paper you're sat on?'

Ah Wales, where men are men and sheep are nervous!

DJ Spider

--

Do you need a Disco? Visit http://www.discoroyale.net
for all your Disco and party needs.

Posted to uk.local.scot-highlands,uk.rec.pets.misc,rec.pets.dogs.misc,ie.general,uk.d-i-y

DJ Spider wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth"
saying something like:

I also know a Welshman that speaks English perfectly well and will
not respond to English.

Some of them are like that. A pat on the head and a biscuit might
bring them round.

When I used to work as a security steward at outdoor events like the
races and stuff, I worked at the Brecon Jazz Festival. We used to work
the night shift and used to go for a few jars before starting. Here
are a couple of gems we heard:

'Is this coat your jacket?'
'Are you reading that paper you're sat on?'

Ah Wales, where men are men and sheep are nervous!

I enjoyed the post despite being N Walian and having at least one pair
of wellies that are always at the ready in the car!

Posted to uk.local.scot-highlands,uk.rec.pets.misc,rec.pets.dogs.misc,ie.general,uk.d-i-y

I once knew a cat that spoke Welsh, and wouldn't respond to English.

Owain

..
Comment from 'The colonies'.
Sensible cat!
Did it also sing?

see the useful commands for linux and tips of gambling in the site [email protected] UK diy 0 April 14th 07 09:34 AM
Irish builders! Chris Bacon UK diy 30 June 15th 06 01:39 PM
Irish plumbing Guy King UK diy 34 March 16th 06 03:40 PM
irish / uk forum [email protected] Woodturning 0 March 10th 06 02:38 PM