Posted to uk.local.scot-highlands,uk.rec.pets.misc,rec.pets.dogs.misc,ie.general,uk.d-i-y
Derek Geldard Derek Geldard is offline

Default sheepdog commands in Irish or Scots Gaelic?

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 18:46:42 GMT, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

I once knew a cat that spoke Welsh, and wouldn't respond to English.

Owain

My ex wife is from Slovakia and on one trip to Slovakia she spoke to her
Mum's dog in English and wondered why it would not sit. She had no idea what
she had done.

I also know a Welshman that speaks English perfectly well and will not
respond to English.

I used to do servicing work at the Trawsfynydd Nuclear Power Station.

My English colleagues used to say that the barmaids at the local pub
always switched to talking in Welsh as soon as they entered. I noticed
that as well.

However, I had worked night shifts at a TV station when OU programmes
teaching the Welsh Language went out. It soon became clear to me that
they were discussing the fact that "someone" was pinching the toilet
rolls out of the "ladies", and it wasn't the Saesnegs {sassonachs}
that were the prime suspects, not the men at any rate.

DG