Posted to uk.local.scot-highlands,uk.rec.pets.misc,rec.pets.dogs.misc,ie.general,uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default sheepdog commands in Irish or Scots Gaelic?

"Owain" wrote in message
Ann an sgriobhainn, , sgriobh
Féachadóir
Scríobh "TJY" :
Do you know any sheep dogs that understand Gaelic?

My brother-in-law's father bought a dog a few years ago, perfect
breeding, but it wouldn't work, so he took it back to the trainer, who
told him the dog spoke Irish. Sure enough, once given commands As
Gaeilge, the dog performed as you'd expect from his pedigree.

I once knew a cat that spoke Welsh, and wouldn't respond to English.

Owain

My ex wife is from Slovakia and on one trip to Slovakia she spoke to her
Mum's dog in English and wondered why it would not sit. She had no idea what
she had done.

I also know a Welshman that speaks English perfectly well and will not
respond to English.

Adam