Posted to uk.local.scot-highlands,uk.rec.pets.misc,rec.pets.dogs.misc,ie.general,uk.d-i-y
John Nagelson John Nagelson is offline

Default sheepdog commands in Irish or Scots Gaelic?

On Jul 8, 12:34 am, Frank Erskine
wrote:
On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 15:18:39 -0700, John Nagelson

wrote:
Could someone tell me some main sheepdog commands in Irish or Scots
Gaelic?

I.e. what in English are "Away to Me", "Come Bye", etc.

Cheers!

John

'Come Bye' means "walk to my left"

'Away' means, would you believe, "walk to my right".

I don't know any others :-(

I know what they mean - I was asking for what the commands are in
Irish or Scots Gaelic! :-)

"Come Bye" also has the meaning of "move around the sheep clockwise",
with "Away" or "Away to Me" meaning "move around the sheep counter-
clockwise". Clever animals, those border collies!

Other commands in English a

"Stand" - stand still
"That'll Do" - return to handler
"Walk Up" - move straight towards sheep
"Get Back" or "Get Out" - keep or move further out to give the sheep
more room
"Lie Down" - self-explanatory, but can also mean slow down
"Look Back" - stop current working and turn around to look for more
sheep
"Take Time" - slow down

But I would love to know them in the Gaelic...

John