Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Copper Pipe Thefts (comment)

In the climate of rising thefts of copper pipes (encouraged by newspaper
reports which usually quote the cost of repairs rather than the scrap value
of the pipes stolen), have you noticed that many new build flats have the
gas pipes running externally up the front of the buildings?

Surely a ventilated secure ducting would be more sensible and aesthetically
more pleasing.

The recent explosion of a house in Bradford was allegedly due to a gas pipe
being taken by some kids.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John
writes
In the climate of rising thefts of copper pipes (encouraged by newspaper
reports which usually quote the cost of repairs rather than the scrap value
of the pipes stolen), have you noticed that many new build flats have the
gas pipes running externally up the front of the buildings?

Surely a ventilated secure ducting would be more sensible and aesthetically
more pleasing.

The recent explosion of a house in Bradford was allegedly due to a gas pipe
being taken by some kids.

Its getting quite a big problem!...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/transport/...089645,00.html
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
In article , John
writes
In the climate of rising thefts of copper pipes (encouraged by
newspaper reports which usually quote the cost of repairs rather
than the scrap value of the pipes stolen), have you noticed that
many new build flats have the gas pipes running externally up the
front of the buildings?

Surely a ventilated secure ducting would be more sensible and
aesthetically more pleasing.

The recent explosion of a house in Bradford was allegedly due to a
gas pipe being taken by some kids.

Its getting quite a big problem!...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/transport/...089645,00.html

"The global price of copper has risen fivefold since 2001 and has risen
above $8,000 (£4,000) a tonne this year, driven by demand for its use in car
production, building and power grids. China accounts for about 20% of global
copper consumption and the US for 13%. Such is the demand that 2p pieces are
more valuable if they are melted down for their copper."

** 2p pieces are more valuable if they are melted down for their copper**

'Scuse me, I'm just off to the bank...... )

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/transport/...089645,00.html

"The global price of copper has risen fivefold since 2001 and has risen
above $8,000 (£4,000) a tonne this year, driven by demand for its use in
car production, building and power grids. China accounts for about 20% of
global copper consumption and the US for 13%. Such is the demand that 2p
pieces are more valuable if they are melted down for their copper."

** 2p pieces are more valuable if they are melted down for their copper**

'Scuse me, I'm just off to the bank...... )

Which is why they've been made of copper plated steel for years now. Unless
copper gets SO expensive that the plating is worth anything...

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from Tim S contains these words:
Steve Walker wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/transport/...089645,00.html

"The global price of copper has risen fivefold since 2001 and has risen
above $8,000 (£4,000) a tonne this year, driven by demand for its use
in
car production, building and power grids. China accounts for about 20%
of
global copper consumption and the US for 13%. Such is the demand that
2p
pieces are more valuable if they are melted down for their copper."

** 2p pieces are more valuable if they are melted down for their
copper**

'Scuse me, I'm just off to the bank...... )

Which is why they've been made of copper plated steel for years now.
Unless
copper gets SO expensive that the plating is worth anything...

What about the (literally!) bagfuls of old (pre-decimal) pennies
that my son stashed in the garden shed, many years ago...?

--
AnneJ

~Rosa Luxemburg

Take care - someone might kill for them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

[...]

They were made of bronze after 1860 (except maundy money which is
silver)

http://www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/pics/pen3.html

If there's a 1933 penny amongst them then maybe ;-))

Don.

Don.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Don Spumey
writes
Steve Walker wrote:

[...]

I think I have six of them somewhere

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 May 2007 07:28:48 +0100, Jon wrote:

How many 2ps would be needed to make a tonne?

If you already happen to own a furnace, sounds like easy money!

Except that modern "copper" coinage is mostly iron, to avoid the scrap
value being more than the face value...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 May, 20:19, Tim S wrote:

Which is why they've been made of copper plated steel for years now.

Only about a year ago, the bronze "coppers" disappeared from
circulation in favour of the more recent plated steel ones. For twenty
years they circulated together, but recently there has clearly been an
attempt to take the scrap-valuable ones out of circulation (and it
wasn't all me!). Look these days, it's getting very rare to see a
bronze one.

As a quick guide without a magnet, if it says "New" Penny, then it's
an old bronze one rather than steel (although there's a transitional
period)

If you find the _right_ 2p, it's worth about £400 to collectors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:

On 28 May, 20:19, Tim S wrote:

Which is why they've been made of copper plated steel for years now.

Only about a year ago, the bronze "coppers" disappeared from
circulation in favour of the more recent plated steel ones. For twenty
years they circulated together, but recently there has clearly been an
attempt to take the scrap-valuable ones out of circulation (and it
wasn't all me!). Look these days, it's getting very rare to see a
bronze one.

Interesting - I first saw a steely about 10 years ago,when a mate decided
they make good washers with a hole drilled through the middle (at less
money that proper washers of the same diameter).

I assumed that they would have been phased over reasonably quickly for the
sanity of coin slot manufacturers. Looks like I was wrong.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Steve Walker"
saying something like:

** 2p pieces are more valuable if they are melted down for their copper**

In 1980, yes. Typical piece of half-arsed reporting from a journalist.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
bof bof is offline

In message , Tim Southerwood
writes

Interesting - I first saw a steely about 10 years ago,when a mate decided
they make good washers with a hole drilled through the middle (at less
money that proper washers of the same diameter).

I first noticed when I was explaining magnetic and non magnetic metals
to my son "here, look, this 2p's made of copper and isn't magnetic. . .
.. eh? What the?"

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 May 2007 19:59:00 +0100, bof wrote:

I first noticed when I was explaining magnetic and non magnetic metals
to my son "here, look, this 2p's made of copper and isn't magnetic. . .
.. eh? What the?"

How did you get out of that one then?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 May 2007 21:06:28 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Tue, 29 May 2007 19:59:00 +0100, bof wrote:

I first noticed when I was explaining magnetic and non magnetic metals
to my son "here, look, this 2p's made of copper and isn't magnetic. . .
.. eh? What the?"

How did you get out of that one then?

"Remember Son, a lesson more important than any physics or metallurgy
-- Never trust the Government with your money"

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bof bof is offline

In message om, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Tue, 29 May 2007 19:59:00 +0100, bof wrote:

I first noticed when I was explaining magnetic and non magnetic metals
to my son "here, look, this 2p's made of copper and isn't magnetic. . .
.. eh? What the?"

How did you get out of that one then?

I think I went though a pile of 2ps and there were about 50%
non-magnetic, and managed to restore an air of authority when the
magnetism correlated with the date, "well in my day . . . . "

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

[...]

Base metal prices are though the roof and copper is a lot more than
?4,000 / tonne

--
zaax
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 May 2007 08:43:10 GMT, Huge wrote:

'Bout £3600/tonne.

Still enough for the pikeys to nick the copper cabling from the signalling
systems of railways... Sometimes I think we ought to adopt the Saudi
approach to theft.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Speaking of tool thefts... John DeBoo Woodturning 27 March 2nd 06 12:25 PM
More Qs on copper pipe in concrete Grumps UK diy 11 February 28th 06 01:46 PM
2" Copper Pipe Steve UK diy 7 October 20th 05 06:01 PM
Copper pipe erosion? Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk UK diy 14 March 1st 05 12:55 PM
Painting copper pipe NC UK diy 7 August 18th 03 09:09 AM