Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Copper Pipe Thefts (comment)

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from Tim S contains these words:
Steve Walker wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/transport/...089645,00.html

"The global price of copper has risen fivefold since 2001 and has risen
above $8,000 (£4,000) a tonne this year, driven by demand for its use
in
car production, building and power grids. China accounts for about 20%
of
global copper consumption and the US for 13%. Such is the demand that
2p
pieces are more valuable if they are melted down for their copper."

** 2p pieces are more valuable if they are melted down for their
copper**

'Scuse me, I'm just off to the bank...... )

Which is why they've been made of copper plated steel for years now.
Unless
copper gets SO expensive that the plating is worth anything...

What about the (literally!) bagfuls of old (pre-decimal) pennies
that my son stashed in the garden shed, many years ago...?

--
AnneJ

~Rosa Luxemburg

Take care - someone might kill for them.