NC

Default Painting copper pipe

After a good discussion (below), I have decided to construct a shower rail
using copper pipe (its a strange shapped bathroom !!). I would like the
result to have a silver finish - what should I use to paint the piping, and
it there anythign special I need to do to it first (rough it up etc) ??

Thanks,
Neil.

shaun

"NC" wrote in message
After a good discussion (below), I have decided to construct a shower rail
using copper pipe (its a strange shapped bathroom !!). I would like the
result to have a silver finish - what should I use to paint the piping,

and
it there anythign special I need to do to it first (rough it up etc) ??

The best thing to do would be to bend it to shape and then get it chrome
plated. Look up electro-platers in the yellow pages.

shaun

Stephen Hull

In message
"NC" wrote:

After a good discussion (below), I have decided to construct a shower rail
using copper pipe (its a strange shapped bathroom !!). I would like the
result to have a silver finish - what should I use to paint the piping, and
it there anythign special I need to do to it first (rough it up etc) ??

Thanks,
Neil.

You can buy chromed copper pipe as standard for this purpose,
It's used as the main finishing water feed pipe in bathrooms anyway.

Steve.

--
Vehicle Painting Pointers: http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
Stephen Hull

In message
Grunff wrote:

You can buy chromed copper pipe as standard for this purpose,
It's used as the main finishing water feed pipe in bathrooms anyway.

Not for this purpose - it would be impossible to bend it without
the chrome flaking off.

Yes it may cause the finish to flake off on severe curves etc.

However you can paint copper piping quite successfully with almost any
household paint, You'll obviously need to key it first though.

Steve.

--
Vehicle Painting Pointers: http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
StrongARM Powered Risc PC 600, 80Mb + 2MbVram, RISC OS 4
Using a British RISC Operating System 100% immune to any Windows virus.

David Kent

Grunff wrote:

You can buy chromed copper pipe as standard for this purpose,
It's used as the main finishing water feed pipe in bathrooms anyway.

Not for this purpose - it would be impossible to bend it without
the chrome flaking off.

Yes it may cause the finish to flake off on severe curves etc.

However you can paint copper piping quite successfully with almost any
household paint, You'll obviously need to key it first though.

Steve.

--
Vehicle Painting Pointers: http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
StrongARM Powered Risc PC 600, 80Mb + 2MbVram, RISC OS 4
Using a British RISC Operating System 100% immune to any Windows virus.

My beloved painted her copper pipe in Hammerite, result was excellent, hot
and cold pipes were painted.

YorkieDave

NC

Thanks for the advice. I will be trying to a metalic look when its finished,
and be spraying it before I fix it in place.

"Stephen Hull" wrote in message
In message
"NC" wrote:

[snip]

However you can paint copper piping quite successfully with almost
any household paint, You'll obviously need to key it first though.

Steve.

Key it ?! You mean rough it up so that the paint holds ?? How should
this be done ??

The preparation to the copper piping can be achieved simply by flatting
or rubbing with wet-or-dry paper, grade 600 or 800 would be sufficient
to provide a key or you could use a coarse scotch cloth which is a bit
like a kitchen scourer to reach the more difficult areas of the piping.
Of course you can always key the piping first before assembly if it
makes things easier.

When you mentioned a silver finish do you mean a *true* metallic
silver, A simple *grey* effect or a *chrome* type paint?.

Household paints in brushing metallic form are completely different to
car spray paint metallics and the chrome effect paint will also be in
aerosol form, To successfully apply a metallic it should be sprayed on.

Can you gain access to the piping when installed in order to paint it
satisfactorily or will you be painting it separately then assembling it
afterwards?.

Steve.