Steve

Default cutting a hole in a cast iron soil pipe

Hi

In order to plumb-in a washing machine, I need to connect to the old cast
iron soil pipe to carry away the waste. (The pipe is just over 4 1/4"
diameter.)

Can anyone recommend a good way to cut the hole in the pipe, to connect a
boss ?

I've seen an old post where someone recommended drilling a ring of closely
spaced holes and then joining the holes so the disc can be removed. But I
don't see how you'd be able to drill the holes closest to the wall.

Whatever the method, I don't want to risk cracking the pipe - presumably old
cast iron is fairly brittle.

Many thanks

Steve

BigWallop

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi

In order to plumb-in a washing machine, I need to connect to the old cast
iron soil pipe to carry away the waste. (The pipe is just over 4 1/4"
diameter.)

Can anyone recommend a good way to cut the hole in the pipe, to connect a
boss ?

I've seen an old post where someone recommended drilling a ring of

closely
spaced holes and then joining the holes so the disc can be removed. But I
don't see how you'd be able to drill the holes closest to the wall.

Whatever the method, I don't want to risk cracking the pipe - presumably

old
cast iron is fairly brittle.

Many thanks

Steve

If you can get hold of a fine toothed hole saw, one which looks like a
hacksaw blade, of the size you need it will make life a bit easier. But no
matter what method you are thinking of using, you'll need some kind of
cooling liquid squirted on the point you're drilling to save the drill bit
and to reduce the possibility of the pipe heating around the drill point and
cracking.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

John Stumbles

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi

In order to plumb-in a washing machine, I need to connect to the old cast
iron soil pipe to carry away the waste. (The pipe is just over 4 1/4"
diameter.)

Can anyone recommend a good way to cut the hole in the pipe, to connect a
boss ?

I've seen an old post where someone recommended drilling a ring of

closely
spaced holes and then joining the holes so the disc can be removed. But I
don't see how you'd be able to drill the holes closest to the wall.

Whatever the method, I don't want to risk cracking the pipe - presumably

old
cast iron is fairly brittle.

have you considered just cutting out a section of the iron pipe (with an
angle grinder) and slipping a length of plastic pipe in its place?

--
John Stumbles
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

dg

If you can't get hold of a suitable steel hole cutter, then cut the
pipe and fit a plastic connector with the facility to fit a boss. Most
manufactures make a connector/adaptor fitting

dg

"Steve" wrote in message ...
Hi

In order to plumb-in a washing machine, I need to connect to the old cast
iron soil pipe to carry away the waste. (The pipe is just over 4 1/4"
diameter.)

Can anyone recommend a good way to cut the hole in the pipe, to connect a
boss ?

I've seen an old post where someone recommended drilling a ring of closely
spaced holes and then joining the holes so the disc can be removed. But I
don't see how you'd be able to drill the holes closest to the wall.

Whatever the method, I don't want to risk cracking the pipe - presumably old
cast iron is fairly brittle.

Many thanks

Steve

Steve

have you considered just cutting out a section of the iron pipe (with an
angle grinder) and slipping a length of plastic pipe in its place?

and
then cut the pipe and fit a plastic connector with the facility to fit a

boss.

Thanks for the suggestions. But if I cut the soil pipe, it will mean the
(not inconsiderable) weight of the upper part isn't supported by the lower
part; this will put a lot of stress on the 2 higher supports and on the
outlet from the upstairs toilet. Isn't this a problem ?

Steve

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi

In order to plumb-in a washing machine, I need to connect to the old cast
iron soil pipe to carry away the waste. (The pipe is just over 4 1/4"
diameter.)

Can anyone recommend a good way to cut the hole in the pipe, to connect a
boss ?

I've seen an old post where someone recommended drilling a ring of

closely
spaced holes and then joining the holes so the disc can be removed. But I
don't see how you'd be able to drill the holes closest to the wall.

Whatever the method, I don't want to risk cracking the pipe - presumably

old
cast iron is fairly brittle.

Many thanks

Steve

John Stumbles

"Steve" wrote in message
have you considered just cutting out a section of the iron pipe (with

an
angle grinder) and slipping a length of plastic pipe in its place?

and
then cut the pipe and fit a plastic connector with the facility to fit a

boss.

Thanks for the suggestions. But if I cut the soil pipe, it will mean the
(not inconsiderable) weight of the upper part isn't supported by the lower
part; this will put a lot of stress on the 2 higher supports and on the
outlet from the upstairs toilet. Isn't this a problem ?

If it's as I imagine I think the outlet from the upstairs wc connection will
help support the rest of the stack, but it should have proper supports
anyway. You could always add some more if you think fit (using steel or iron
brackets of course, not plastic).

Whatever the method, I don't want to risk cracking the pipe - presumably

old
cast iron is fairly brittle.

It's brittle to the extent that if you wack it with a hammer it may crack.
Sod's law dictates that it will resolutely refuse to do so if you want it to
and do so too easily if you don't :-)

When I've cut a pipe that was in a corner, using a 4" grinder, I cut halfway
through the pipe at 2 points about a foot apart and sliced lengthways to
remove a sort of rectangular section, then I could get the grinder in to cut
the rest of the way through to the back of the pipe. USE A MASK: the dust
and other stuff that comes of grinding through a soil pipe is outlawed for
use in combat under the Geneva Convention.

--
John Stumbles
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Steve

Many thanks to all who replied.

I didn't realise that you can get hole-saws that can be used on cast iron.
As they are available, I'm going to cut the hole directly into the cast
iron pipe.

Steve

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , Steve stevescholnic
writes
Can anyone recommend a good way to cut the hole in the pipe, to connect a
boss ?

Not the cheapest, but suggest you cut a hole with a hole saw (57mm) and
use a strap on boss. The boss has a flange which fits inside the hole &
makes the whole thing a bit less hit & miss. Add sanitary silicone around
the flange before fixing. Boss will accept rubber or solvent adaptors.
Rubber adaptors look insecure, but solvent leaves you without an option to
dismantle. A solvent stub mated to a pushfit pipe makes the job a bit more
serviceable.

List of bits, prices and codes are for
http://www.bes.ltd.uk

57mm hole saw code 7799 £6.11 + vat
Large Arbor code 7801 £8.40 + vat
Strap on boss 110mm grey code 13002 £1.61 + vat
Adaptor rubber 32mm code 11191 or 40mm code 11192 cost about 90p
Solvent & other adaptors on site, post is free

HTH
--
fred

cast iron bath wanted jacob UK diy 2 August 8th 03 02:38 PM
cutting soil pipe Frisket UK diy 4 July 24th 03 01:27 PM
cutting soil pipe Frisket UK diy 1 July 23rd 03 10:50 PM
Drop on soil pipe? BigWallop UK diy 0 July 5th 03 07:01 AM
Have I installed new soil pipe branch too high?? Monkey Brains UK diy 13 July 4th 03 02:09 PM