Kevin Murphy

Default Connecting jets, shower arm direct to pipe

I have some Grohe jets and a shower arm to fit. The drawings which
come with them indicate that they should be screwed directly into a
pipe-end embedded in the wall. There are no written instructions.
Could anybody give me advice on this?

Look at the fittings, the ends could be screwed into a 22mm pipe which
had an thread inside, but they could also attach to a 15mm pipe with a
standard compression fitting. Connecting to a pipe embedded in the
wall would be neat, but would a standard pipe with a thread cut into
it be strong enough to hold a heavy shower arm and head without
cracking over time. Is there a special fitting required with the
thread? Kevin.
SpamTrapSeeSig

In article , Kevin
Murphy writes
I have some Grohe jets and a shower arm to fit. The drawings which
come with them indicate that they should be screwed directly into a
pipe-end embedded in the wall. There are no written instructions.
Could anybody give me advice on this?

The ones I have (and haven't yet fitted either!) are 1/2" BSP (Brit.
Std. Pipe Thread) So is the shower arm, the mixer tap, the divertor
valve and the other fittings. The Grohe jets even have a PTFE seal
built-in, so no sealing is necessary.

To use, go down to your local plumbers' merchant and look at a selection
of BRASS, female BSP fittings - elbows and straight. You can get them
with flanges to take screws (per standpipe-type outdoor taps) or
without, and compression fittings or 15mm solder couplings on the other
end. Use whichever suits the application, but remember that well made
joints in the wall are paramount. You'll be tiling over/around them, so
repairing leaks is a horrid job. For the nicest finish IMHO (YMMV), set
the female fitting so that the rim just breaks the surface of the tile
line by 1mm or so. It'll be covered by the surround for the fitting (if
the shower head's pipe didn't come with one, it should have done), but
being slightly proud of the surface helps stop grout, etc. getting stuck
in the thread when you're finishing off the tiling.

------q p--------
| |
-- |
---/

(there are limits to ASCII art!)

When you fit the shower head, wrap the pipe _lots_ with PTFE tape (also
from PM) in an anti-clockwise direction, as you look at it from the
wall's perspective - so that the tape stays in place whilst you wind the
pipe into the 1/2" socket. As I said, if you have the same Grohe squirty
bits as I bought, PTFE ought to be unnecessary for them.

One final point, pipe thread of most sizes is available in two forms -
tapered and straight (parallel sided). I think you want straight for
this application - IIRC tapered is usually for cast iron conduit and gas
work. Check with the PM - it's what they're there for. If they don't
know or are snooty, find another one!

Regards,

Simonm.

--
simonm|at|muircom|dot|demon|.|c|oh|dot|u|kay
SIMON MUIR, UK INDEPENDENCE PARTY, BRISTOL www.ukip.org
SpamTrapSeeSig

In article , BigWallop
writes

"Kevin Murphy" wrote in message
. com...
I have some Grohe jets and a shower arm to fit. The drawings which
come with them indicate that they should be screwed directly into a
pipe-end embedded in the wall. There are no written instructions.
Could anybody give me advice on this?

Look at the fittings, the ends could be screwed into a 22mm pipe which
had an thread inside, but they could also attach to a 15mm pipe with a
standard compression fitting. Connecting to a pipe embedded in the
wall would be neat, but would a standard pipe with a thread cut into
it be strong enough to hold a heavy shower arm and head without
cracking over time. Is there a special fitting required with the
thread? Kevin.

Hi Kevin,

You'd be better with one of these on the end of the pipe:

The picture looks like a brass one, but the blurb says iron. Are you
sure?

Regards,

Simonm.

--
simonm|at|muircom|dot|demon|.|c|oh|dot|u|kay
SIMON MUIR, UK INDEPENDENCE PARTY, BRISTOL www.ukip.org
EUROPEANS AGAINST THE EU www.members.aol.com/eurofaq
GT250A'76 R80/RT '86 www.kc3ltd.co.uk/profile/eurofollie/
BigWallop

"SpamTrapSeeSig" wrote in message
[...]

I think they're referring to malleable iron fittings which are standard
1/2'' BSP Female Thread. If the end of the fitting sticks out past the
surface of the plaster on the wall, then you can get these fitting with a
chrome finish coating which may match better with your shower head.

Would it be possible for you to type in here what they actually say in the
instruction booklet ? Just to make sure. :-))

SpamTrapSeeSig

In article , BigWallop
writes

[...]

What instruction booklet? I was referring to the blurb on the Screwfix
site (I didn't make that too clear - sorry). The Grohe fittings I have
are probably identical to the ones in question, as I don't think they
make many variants (of these little jets). They don't come with
instructions, neither did the shower head chromed pipe.

My point was that cast iron is possibly not a good choice over brass in
this context, because of corrosion, rust stains, etc. Also, most CI
fittings are tapered thread, and I think parallel is correct here.

YMMV - please explain if so, as I'm interested too.

Cheers,

Simonm.

--
simonm|at|muircom|dot|demon|.|c|oh|dot|u|kay
SIMON MUIR, UK INDEPENDENCE PARTY, BRISTOL www.ukip.org
EUROPEANS AGAINST THE EU www.members.aol.com/eurofaq
GT250A'76 R80/RT '86 www.kc3ltd.co.uk/profile/eurofollie/

BigWallop

"SpamTrapSeeSig" wrote in message
news
In article , BigWallop
writes

"SpamTrapSeeSig" wrote in message

snipped

Would it be possible for you to type in here what they actually say in

the
instruction booklet ? Just to make sure. :-))

What instruction booklet? I was referring to the blurb on the Screwfix
site (I didn't make that too clear - sorry). The Grohe fittings I have
are probably identical to the ones in question, as I don't think they
make many variants (of these little jets). They don't come with
instructions, neither did the shower head chromed pipe.

My point was that cast iron is possibly not a good choice over brass in
this context, because of corrosion, rust stains, etc. Also, most CI
fittings are tapered thread, and I think parallel is correct here.

YMMV - please explain if so, as I'm interested too.

Cheers,

Simonm.

Not with you at all now. (?) The fitting you have is a Grohe Shower head
fitting ? If it is the one that screws to a fitting sticking out the wall,
then it will fit to a brass 1/2'' BSP female threaded fitting.

http://www.grohe-ag.de/catalogue/uk/...s/Z2802201.jpg

Or am I getting the story all wrong ?

---
BigWallop

http://basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

BillR

SpamTrapSeeSig wrote:
In article ,

[SNIP]

My point was that cast iron is possibly not a good choice over brass
in this context, because of corrosion, rust stains, etc. Also, most CI
fittings are tapered thread, and I think parallel is correct here.

The term iron on the screwfix item doesn't mean thay are actually made of
iron.
It just means they are compatible with the older iron threads.
They are made of brass.

SpamTrapSeeSig

In article , BillR
writes
SpamTrapSeeSig wrote:
In article ,

[SNIP]

My point was that cast iron is possibly not a good choice over brass
in this context, because of corrosion, rust stains, etc. Also, most CI
fittings are tapered thread, and I think parallel is correct here.

The term iron on the screwfix item doesn't mean thay are actually made of
iron.
It just means they are compatible with the older iron threads.
They are made of brass.

I didn't read their description as meaning brass.

The thread is either parallel or tapered 1/2" BSP, and fittings are
still available in either brass or cast iron with either of these
threads.

If Screwfix meant brass I assume they'd say so.

Regards,

Simonm.