SpamTrapSeeSig

Default Connecting jets, shower arm direct to pipe

In article , BigWallop
writes

"SpamTrapSeeSig" wrote in message
In article , BigWallop
writes

"Kevin Murphy" wrote in message
. com...
I have some Grohe jets and a shower arm to fit. The drawings which
come with them indicate that they should be screwed directly into a
pipe-end embedded in the wall. There are no written instructions.
Could anybody give me advice on this?

Look at the fittings, the ends could be screwed into a 22mm pipe which
had an thread inside, but they could also attach to a 15mm pipe with a
standard compression fitting. Connecting to a pipe embedded in the
wall would be neat, but would a standard pipe with a thread cut into
it be strong enough to hold a heavy shower arm and head without
cracking over time. Is there a special fitting required with the
thread? Kevin.

Hi Kevin,

You'd be better with one of these on the end of the pipe:

The picture looks like a brass one, but the blurb says iron. Are you
sure?

Regards,

Simonm.

I think they're referring to malleable iron fittings which are standard
1/2'' BSP Female Thread. If the end of the fitting sticks out past the
surface of the plaster on the wall, then you can get these fitting with a
chrome finish coating which may match better with your shower head.

Would it be possible for you to type in here what they actually say in the
instruction booklet ? Just to make sure. :-))

What instruction booklet? I was referring to the blurb on the Screwfix
site (I didn't make that too clear - sorry). The Grohe fittings I have
are probably identical to the ones in question, as I don't think they
make many variants (of these little jets). They don't come with
instructions, neither did the shower head chromed pipe.

My point was that cast iron is possibly not a good choice over brass in
this context, because of corrosion, rust stains, etc. Also, most CI
fittings are tapered thread, and I think parallel is correct here.

YMMV - please explain if so, as I'm interested too.

Cheers,

Simonm.

--
simonm|at|muircom|dot|demon|.|c|oh|dot|u|kay
SIMON MUIR, UK INDEPENDENCE PARTY, BRISTOL www.ukip.org