AlexL

Default Leaky AquaLisa shower

Hi

I wonder if someone can help me here...

I have an AquaLisa power shower, with pump model AquaForce 30. It's in a
separate shower cubicle with a thermostatic shower valve.

Recently (about a month ago) it started to drip a little from the tap/valve
in the shower cubicle... I have finally got round to investigating it. I
have turned off all the stopcock taps (taps on pipework) that I can find in
the cupboard with the hot water tank -for both cold water and hot water. I
have removed the cartridge from the shower valve tap thing and discover that
there is a small flow of water coming from two places:
1. Hot water from the hole right at the back
2. Cold water from the curved hole on the edge

I realise that there must be something wrong with my stopcock taps as there
is still water flowing when all water flow should have been stopped... I
found another cold water tap and closed that and it stopped the flow from
the curved hole (number 2 above). However, there is still hot water coming
out of the hole at the back (number 1) - this water is now gently flowing
down the tube at the bottom which goes to the shower head, now placed by the
drain hole in the shower tray.

Given that the leak was coming from the tap/valve in the shower cubicle
(dripping from the bottom of this), is the fault likely to be with the
cartridge itself? Or does the fact that there is water still flowing
slightly mean there is something wrong with the pump assembly?

Given that when I turned the cold water back on it flowed straight out of
the curved hole, I can only assume that my cartridge is at fault and that's
what I need to replace... but I am slightly concerned that the hot water is
still flowing even just a tiny trickle.

Update whilst writing this message: I found a tap for the cold water feed to
the bottom of the hot water tank and closed this - the trickle of hot water
has reduced considerably to a very small drip now. There must be a bit of a
problem with my pipework taps then...

Can someone confirm my suspicions with the cartridge being at fault / point
me in a better direction? If I get a new cartridge, does it just slot in
(with the 4 screws), or do I need some O-ring washer seals or something? Can
anyone recommend somewhere to get a new cartridge - I have read that they
can vary from about £80 to £100 - I'd prefer to pay less if the product is
identical!

Thanks a lot!

AlexL
(Watford UK)

The Admiral

"AlexL" wrote in message
[...]

Hi AlexL

I have an Aqualisa Aquatique Exposed thermostatic shower-valve which
exhipited the drip-drip problem. It actually went a little further to the
point that I turned the shower on, then when I tried to turn it off.... nowt
happened. I was able to switch it off by using turning the hot and cold
isolation valves on then off again. My system is mains pressure hot and cold
(both balanced, before anyone asks!). The dripping does get worse though.

Anyway, cutting a long story short, I think the cartridge design was at
fault as a friend of mine had exactly the same fault on his Aquavalve. I
called Aqualisa, who were very helpful, and as my unit was under three years
old, they sent a new one FOC, next day delivery. They diagnosed the fault
over the phone and even offered to get an approved plumber to replace it for
me, again, FOC. Replacement was very simple and took me about 20 minutes.

Cheers

T.A.

AlexL

I thought I'd update this thread with the conclusion to my story so that
future readers are helped.

I bought a new cartridge for the thermostatic mixer. btw: Plumb Centre has
the best price - I could have saved myself £15, but was drawn to the wrong
store because it had a big "AquaLisa" sign outside!

I cleaned everything up and fitted the new cartridge - a pretty easy task,
the worst of which was replacing the rubber O-ring on the hot water inlet at
the back, but a sharp, thin kitchen knife helped remove the old O-ring and
inserting the new one was easy with 2 screwdrivers. I used the time doing
all this to de-scale the shower head: always well worth it when you realise
afterwards what sort of shower you have been missing out on!

Once all back together and the water turned back on, there were no
leaks/drips at all. As they say, "Job done." It was a more expensive fix
than I had hoped for, but hey: you can't take any money with you when you
die. Plus I now have this sci-fi looking old cartridge that I can either
throw away or use in a technology sculpture/construction thing....!

AlexL
Happy showers are here again.

Andy Hall

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 08:57:50 +0100, "AlexL"
wrote:

[...]

Keep the receipt. I did have one go dud after about 10 months

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Electric Shower problem Jase UK diy 1 July 6th 03 12:59 PM
Advice on which shower mixer? Lee Blaver UK diy 7 July 6th 03 12:39 PM
leaky roof fix no_spam UK diy 1 July 5th 03 09:03 PM
Electric shower - what rating? Alec UK diy 2 July 5th 03 08:45 PM
Is my electric shower about to fail? BigWallop UK diy 2 July 5th 03 01:57 AM