Lee Blaver

Default Advice on which shower mixer?

Just planning the bathroom revamp and now have to choose a shower
mixer..

Background;
We have a Turbomax 828 (28Kw DHW/11 l/min) combi, which is supposed to
be fully modulating for hot water, and this is a flat with just two of
us, so additional hot water drawoff whilst showering won't be a problem.
I'm not quite so sure about mains pressure fluctuations though.

So.. I'm unsure whether to go for a pressure-balancing, but not
thermostatic, mixer like the Mira 415 or go for a normal thermostatic
mixer like a Mira Excel.
SHMBO wants concealed mounting in either case.

Any opinions on the type (or brand) to go for?
Does one method have any particular advantages over the other?

Or should I just go OTT and fit a thermostatic mixer along with a
separate pressure balancing valve?

Lee

--
To reply use lee.blaver and NTL world com

BigWallop

"Lee Blaver" wrote in message
[...]

Have a look through these:

http://tinyurl.com/g3av

http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/diy_test/Q3.5.html

http://tinyurl.com/g3al

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/plumbing/combi.html#showers

http://www.bryant-bathrooms.co.uk/showers.htm

http://www.showerright.co.uk/system_types.htm

http://tinyurl.com/g3as

http://tinyurl.com/umw

Should me able to make your mind up wth the information in this lot. :-)
LOL

---
BigWallop

http://basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Lee Blaver

BigWallop wrote:

Have a look through these:

list snipped

Should me able to make your mind up wth the information in this lot. :-)
LOL

I've had a look at all of those and I'm still none-the-wiser :-(

Thanks though :-)

Lee

--
To reply use lee.blaver and NTL world com

BigWallop

"Lee Blaver" wrote in message
BigWallop wrote:

Have a look through these:

list snipped

Should me able to make your mind up wth the information in this lot.

:-)
LOL

I've had a look at all of those and I'm still none-the-wiser :-(

Thanks though :-)

Lee

Hee Hee !! Then me'thinks you should ask advice of local plumbers. If
they can't get one to work your system, then at least you'll have some kind
of compensation to come to you for a shoddy workmanship claim.

John Stumbles

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"Lee Blaver" wrote in message
Just planning the bathroom revamp and now have to choose a shower
mixer..

Background;
We have a Turbomax 828 (28Kw DHW/11 l/min) combi, which is supposed to
be fully modulating for hot water, and this is a flat with just two of
us, so additional hot water drawoff whilst showering won't be a problem.

Neither of you ever uses the kitchen while the other is having a shower
then? No washing machine either?

I'm not quite so sure about mains pressure fluctuations though.

So.. I'm unsure whether to go for a pressure-balancing, but not
thermostatic, mixer like the Mira 415 or go for a normal thermostatic
mixer like a Mira Excel.
SHMBO wants concealed mounting in either case.

Any opinions on the type (or brand) to go for?
Does one method have any particular advantages over the other?

Or should I just go OTT and fit a thermostatic mixer along with a
separate pressure balancing valve?

Consider just going for a thermostatic 2-knob type: just turning on the flow
knob and getting water at the right temperature without fiddling around
adjusting it is quite nice (I'll fit one for myself one day :-)

Have a look through these:

---8---

http://tinyurl.com/umw

BES do a thermostatic mixing valve along the lines of those shown on this
page. Theirs has fairly plain domed cylindrical knobs (like the 'contour'
but without the gold-ish ring) with flats on so you can turn them with soapy
hands. Theirs are about £100 inc VAT. It's built like a brick sh1th0us3 and
although designed to be rendered into the wall (in Southern European
building fashion) you can get at the thermostatic valve to clean scale off
or whatever after it's installed, and it generally looks as if it's built to
last.

I've fitted one to a system with a combi and it seems to do what it says on
the tin.

hth

--
John Stumbles
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Ed Sirett

Lee Blaver wrote:

BigWallop wrote:

Have a look through these:

list snipped

Should me able to make your mind up wth the information in this lot. :-)
LOL

I've had a look at all of those and I'm still none-the-wiser :-(

Thanks though :-)

Go thermostatic, it wont need pressure balancing (and if you feed it
with cold mains as you should it is more or less balanced anyway). Mixer
manufacturers make (astounding) claims for the pressure ratios their
gadgets can handle.

Avoid concealed unless you have access to the wall from the other side.
More than once I've seen a slight installation fault on concealed cause
disporportionate damage.
If you do go concealed make absolutely sure it's done right and water
proof.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
Lee Blaver

Ed Sirett wrote:
snip

Go thermostatic, it wont need pressure balancing (and if you feed it
with cold mains as you should it is more or less balanced anyway). Mixer
manufacturers make (astounding) claims for the pressure ratios their
gadgets can handle.

Avoid concealed unless you have access to the wall from the other side.
More than once I've seen a slight installation fault on concealed cause
disporportionate damage.
If you do go concealed make absolutely sure it's done right and water
proof.

I was thinking more of a decent thermostatic originally, so that's what
I'll go with. Thanks.

I don't have any choice in whether it's concealed or not, SWMBO has
spoken :-)
It will be accessible afterwards though, I'm thinking of a removeable
panel or somesuch.

Lee

--
To reply use lee.blaver and NTL world com

Lee Blaver

John Stumbles wrote:

Background;
We have a Turbomax 828 (28Kw DHW/11 l/min) combi, which is supposed to
be fully modulating for hot water, and this is a flat with just two of
us, so additional hot water drawoff whilst showering won't be a problem.

snip

Neither of you ever uses the kitchen while the other is having a shower
then? No washing machine either?

Not hot water, no. Both washing machine and dishwasher are cold fill
only and SWMBO wouldn't dream of washing anything up by hand... :-)

I'm not quite so sure about mains pressure fluctuations though.

snip

Consider just going for a thermostatic 2-knob type: just turning on the flow
knob and getting water at the right temperature without fiddling around
adjusting it is quite nice (I'll fit one for myself one day :-)

I know the type you mean, SWMBO didn't fancy one of those, she found the
small taps uncomfortable and akward to turn. (She has a slight problem
with grip).
The large control of the Mira is ok for her, or maybe a single lever
type like the taps in we have :-)

Also, the BES website doesn't work on Mozilla, grr...

Lee

--
To reply use lee.blaver and NTL world com

Heating & hot water crisis - advice sought Trevor UK diy 4 July 16th 03 11:53 PM
Concrete slab advice John UK diy 12 July 11th 03 10:55 AM
Is my electric shower about to fail? BigWallop UK diy 2 July 5th 03 01:57 AM
Replacement basin mixer valve? Michael Snell UK diy 3 July 4th 03 03:04 PM
Advice on Which boiler to install? Dave Plowman UK diy 0 July 3rd 03 01:33 PM