Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Southerwood Tim Southerwood is offline

Default Copper Pipe Thefts (comment)

Andy Dingley wrote:

On 28 May, 20:19, Tim S wrote:

Which is why they've been made of copper plated steel for years now.

Only about a year ago, the bronze "coppers" disappeared from
circulation in favour of the more recent plated steel ones. For twenty
years they circulated together, but recently there has clearly been an
attempt to take the scrap-valuable ones out of circulation (and it
wasn't all me!). Look these days, it's getting very rare to see a
bronze one.

Interesting - I first saw a steely about 10 years ago,when a mate decided
they make good washers with a hole drilled through the middle (at less
money that proper washers of the same diameter).

I assumed that they would have been phased over reasonably quickly for the
sanity of coin slot manufacturers. Looks like I was wrong.

Cheers

Tim